Favorite Mic to use for Interior Situations?

michaelhrtmn4

Hey everyone. First time poster here. I have been lurking for a little bit now and am inspired by the knowledge of everyone.  That being said, I am currently trying to prep for a shoot and am looking to purchase a solid mic for some interior scenes that we will be doing that have plenty of dialogue.

In the past, I have used a AT4053b, a solid Audio Technica Hypercardoid.  However, I am looking to see what you all have used in the past or present based off of your experience, rather than internet reviews.

My budget is pretty low end, not looking for Shoeps or anything near $1000. Probably a modest $450-$500 is my budget.

You might be able to find a used Neumann km184 or 185 in that price range. The Rode NT5 would be a good budget mic that’s nice to have around for other things even if you do expand and grow into getting some schoeps stuff in the future. 

I grabbed a cheap pair of senal small diaphragm condensers which I keep in the car on jobs in case I need a couple extra mics or if for some reason everything else died. They’ve worked pretty well for situations where the editor wants me to mic up the interviewer for help with transcription or if I need to set up some cheap room mics as crowd mics for a conference. 

Audix sound similar to a Schoeps (though not quite as nice) but doesn’t have as much reach in my experience. A modded Oktavs might be something to look at.

But a nice interior mic is one of those things you’ll be glad you invested in. But once, cry one. You won’t regret getting a Schoeps or mkh50 after you use it.

I know most people have abandoned them, but I think Sennheiser MKH 406's and 435's still sound pretty good.  I've picked them over my Neumann KM140's at times and in an A/B listen against an Oktava MK-012 they seem to have a more dimensional quality, with the Oktava sounding more 2D.  Occasionally you find a 48V version, but most are T power, the T power converter can be had for about $40.  They seem to sell in the $200-250 range pretty frequently.  There are some service issues to research, and I think Sennheiser will still align them.    

That's a lot of recommendations here. Instead of listing my favorite budget mic (I don't really have one) I'll just point out what I believe to be the most important feature for indoor use. Most mics recommended offer good enough specs in most areas except the most important one and that is off-axis response. (Lack of) Off-axis coloration is what separates Schoeps from the rest of the pack, and if I was looking for a cheap alternative I'd find the mic with the least amount of off-axis coloration.

23 hours ago, michaelhrtmn4 said:

Hey everyone. First time poster here. I have been lurking for a little bit now and am inspired by the knowledge of everyone.  That being said, I am currently trying to prep for a shoot and am looking to purchase a solid mic for some interior scenes that we will be doing that have plenty of dialogue.

In the past, I have used a AT4053b, a solid Audio Technica Hypercardoid.  However, I am looking to see what you all have used in the past or present based off of your experience, rather than internet reviews.

My budget is pretty low end, not looking for Shoeps or anything near $1000. Probably a modest $450-$500 is my budget.

Get yourself one good mic that performs great indoors and outdoors.

CMIT5/minicmit/DPA 4017/

A lot of people use MKH50/MKH8040/CMC6mk41 outdoors as well

14 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Audix sound similar to a Schoeps (though not quite as nice) but doesn’t have as much reach in my experience. A modded Oktavs might be something to look at.

But a nice interior mic is one of those things you’ll be glad you invested in. But once, cry one. You won’t regret getting a Schoeps or mkh50 after you use it.

My boom op used a 5U Schoeps on a feature that I mixed and it sounded amazing. Wasn't my gear so I just got to taste glory for a moment.

I have looked into purchasing an Oktava mic, and have been getting some suggestions from some people to get the mod, however I got literally made fun of once for going into, and not knowing that places like this existed at the time, a boutique sound store in NYC and asking if they had any Oktava Mk12 mics.

Thank you.

Sanken CS3e is my go to mic for almost anything I do...unless I can get real close..then I MAY switch to a Sen.MKH 50...

That Sanken sounds good indoors, outdoors, with a long reach, close up and in bad environmental situations.. I use it so much I sold my Cmit5...and bought another..

Just love that mic.. so...I recommend the Sanken...period.

All my other mics just sit and rest... And they are all nice..

You can get by with a lot of cheaper hypercards--look at Rode, for instance.  I do not recommend the Oktava MC012 for booming--it's a decent sounding mic (I own 6...) but they have a lot of handling noise compared to most other mics.  I'd also recommend you stay in the used-equipment market, you'll get more for you r money.   A 416 can work very well if you understand how it works, what it is good for/on.                                                          

3 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

I do not recommend the Oktava MC012 for booming--it's a decent sounding mic (I own 6...) but they have a lot of handling noise compared to most other mics.                                                       

I agree with this.  They have a very extended wide open subsonic response that is not protected appropriately.  If you hold one in your hand while listening with headphones you can hear the blood flowing in your fingers, and the subtle vibrations of your grip.  I’ve experienced air handlers 8 feet away cause gross distortion, from air motion you could hardly detect.  The Oktava HPF adapter increases noise substantially, and is not a great solution.  I have 4 of these preamps myself along with a selection of capsules, and I’d really only trust them under controlled studio conditions if naked, or with wind protection on a stationary stand, definitely not on my list for booming.  

Just saw this popping up the other day on a group; a diy kit to make your own Schoeps CMC 5 or Neumann KM 84 mic. So if you are into soldering... They get good reviews on Gearslutz.

https://microphone-parts.com/products/sdc-microphone-kit?variant=9351388790844

https://microphone-parts.com/products/sdc-84-microphone-kit-neumann-km84-style?variant=9618653020220

Regarding the Oktava 012. As I stated many times here and elsewhere, Oktavas are not created equal. Many of us get handpicked Oktavas from the Sound Room. I have a matched stereo pair which sound very good, though I have not used them lately for production sound since I have better (more expensive) alternatives. It should be noted that the Sound Room does perform the 'Dorsey' type mod AFAIK.. Bill Sitler and Micheal Joly  are the usual go-to sources for this, though the modifications are different in some respects. Bill Sitler offers a DIY parts kit. Micheal Joly has modification options. Even with the mods, the 012 still has an inherent low sensitivity, (10mV) which can be an issue with lower end preamps

17 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Sanken CS3e is my go to mic for almost anything I do...unless I can get real close..then I MAY switch to a Sen.MKH 50...

That Sanken sounds good indoors, outdoors, with a long reach, close up and in bad environmental situations.. I use it so much I sold my Cmit5...and bought another..

Just love that mic.. so...I recommend the Sanken...period.

All my other mics just sit and rest... And they are all nice..

+1

Worth buying the other mics though - just to appreciate how versatile these 2 are :)

2 hours ago, Rick Reineke said:

Regarding the Oktava 012. As I stated many times here and elsewhere, Oktavas are not created equal. 

Very good point.  I was able to make my initial pair out of a lot of more than 20 I went through, listening and comparing.  

On 2/2/2019 at 7:48 AM, michaelhrtmn4 said:

I have looked into purchasing an Oktava mic, and have been getting some suggestions from some people to get the mod, however I got literally made fun of once for going into, and not knowing that places like this existed at the time, a boutique sound store in NYC and asking if they had any Oktava Mk12 mics.

Huh? They made fun of you, how so?? That doesn't sound good. 

Cheap is cheap, but the Oktavas are famous as bang-for-buck gear in the pro audio world.  If you get one that hasn't been abused and compare it head to head with a Schoeps you will probably A: like the sound of the Schoeps better and B: be amazed at how close the Oktava (MC012) comes to it--quite respectable!  I have a brace of MC012s of various vintages, and while they are never in the first batch out of the mic case on a gig they do get used for sources of lesser perceived importance and do a great job.  But not on a movie-sound location fishpole.

Oktava has so many limitations that make their use unpractical for our trade. I have Oktava mics among others in my set, and quite honestly, Audix and AT are the cheapest useful ones one can get. Everything else is really unpractical and creates more issues than it solves.

I have the Sanken CS-M1 in my shopping list, it could be a good middle solution - do - it - all - run - n - gun mic.