Favorite Mic to use for Interior Situations?

michaelhrtmn4

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Oktava has so many limitations that make their use unpractical for our trade. I have Oktava mics among others in my set, and quite honestly, Audix and AT are the cheapest useful ones one can get. Everything else is really unpractical and creates more issues than it solves.

I have the Sanken CS-M1 in my shopping list, it could be a good middle solution - do - it - all - run - n - gun mic.

my using exp on the CS M1  is bit hizzy on high pitch , and not really great headroom compare to dpa 4017 or Cmit. But overall worth more then the price, But would not be my primary mic 

if only indoor dial , rejection is not ur 1 st thing to look in , I really like my neumann km 185 sound .

3 hours ago, joinwooHK said:

my using exp on the CS M1  is bit hizzy on high pitch , and not really great headroom compare to dpa 4017 or Cmit. But overall worth more then the price, But would not be my primary mic 

if only indoor dial , rejection is not ur 1 st thing to look in , I really like my neumann km 185 sound .

The question is:

is it an 70-80% of a 416?

is it an 70-80% of the KM185?

My .02; for interiors, I want a mic that's small. An MKH50 is okay, but the Schoeps with the swivel joint is so flexible in terms of just being able to fit eveywhere; under doors, walkies in corridors are just so much easier with a small mic. For people sitting/lying down in sofas or beds, the MKH50 is just perfect. Or the CMIT5U..

So look at dimensions too, not just specs. The Oktava has a swivel joint thing you can buy, as well as the 8000-series.

My point is, sound is important, sure, but if you can't fit your mic where you need to put it then you won't have any sound at all... Unless your lavs sound acceptable. 

The Schoeps CCM series sound great for its size, it's a challenge to boom with because of handling noise though, but worth a look. 

The other recommendation is to rent, or buy used

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for replying. I am super new to the forum life and I think it is super cool to have a means of reaching out and finding specific answers to questions as well as building a community within my own niche. 

You all have been super helpful! I have decided to go with the Audix SCX1-HC. Seems like a sturdy little guy and will do for now!

• 1 month later...

The CK93 has an amazing rear rejection. I begun using a pair on a piano for our jazz concerts this week.

The stage is really tiny, there is less than 2 meters between the drum kit and the piano. Before the CK93 I was using a pair of Peluso CEMC6 and despite pointing the rear end to the drums I got a lot of bleed. 

As a plus, the AKG are less bright than the CEMC6 and a bit of proximity effect makes our piano sound like a bigger one. I guess their higher directionality also helps to cancel phasing problems between them. And seems that the off axis response of the Pelusos is not so good.

I know this is about motion picture sound, but these microphones are amazing hypercardioids and I think these properties make them really valuable. Moreover, they are really cheap.

I haven’t tried the other capsules except for the CK98 which has somewhat ugly sound. But it seems that they really nailed it with the CK93.

While the other choices are very nice, I have to say that the Sanken CS-M1 has become the new boom mic du jour at my shop, "Production Sound Solutions.com" in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. Customers have listened to it, compared and made the choice to replace what ever they had on their pole with the Sanken CS-M1. It does so many things so well that it's hard to say no to it. It basically sells it's self after listening tests. We've sold over a dozen and not one has been returned for any reason.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Have you used the CK63? I like it even more than my CK93

3 hours ago, ramallo said:

DPA 4018 or DPA 4011, it depends.

P.S. the 63 is a better microphone (With C480) than the 93, but the 93 is a very good microphone for the price

No I haven't. The C480 system is much more expensive and, well, despite the names we have on stage this is a non profit endeavour I do pay for the microphones :)

I am wondering, though. Apart from the spectacular signal to noise ratio, which is irrelevant on stage a meter away from the drummer, is there any other advantage? I think I read somewhere that the CK63 and the CK93 have a similar sound although of course the noise floor on the former is much lower. 

Well, if someone visits Bilbao on a Thursday, bring a couple of C480+CK63 and we can try on stage :P Needless to say I will pay for the beers and a nice dinner.

3 hours ago, borjam said:

I am wondering, though. Apart from the spectacular signal to noise ratio, which is irrelevant on stage a meter away from the drummer, is there any other advantage? I think I read somewhere that the CK63 and the CK93 have a similar sound although of course the noise floor on the former is much lower. 

Well, if someone visits Bilbao on a Thursday, bring a couple of C480+CK63 and we can try on stage :P Needless to say I will pay for the beers and a nice dinner.

Hello,

I use them for acoustic music recording also live shows (CK63/61), for me is a less costly replacement of the DPA 4011/18 (that also is better than the CK63+C480 but no so much) (Sometimes I use a lot of microphones). In the subjective world: more definition to my ears.

But I was very happy with the CK93 for indoor interviews, also the fig 8 (CK94) is a superb nice microphone (The CK92 is nice too), but I don't like of this series the CK91 and the CK98 (Very prone to manipulation noises) (Too much bass).

I usually go to Bilbao (I work as live technician with some folk bands from Euskadi), when I go next time, I will warn you.

Best

Suso