Suggenstions for ENG Break Away Dolly Extension Legth

MSheldon

Hi All,

I want to make an dolly extension for my Beta cable system not including fan tail. OSC 8 on each end running from my 18" camera fan to drivers end of the dolly. Any suggestion on the "perfect" catch all length? Was thinking about 8' or 10' but thought I'd check with the communal knowledge base here for suggestion first.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Eric Toline said:

10' too long is better than 2" too short.

Yeah but just right can be sooo satisfying! 😆 Not sure how this emoji is satisfied but Google says it is.

Kelsey: 10' feet seems about right. Long enough to run down the lift to the handle and make a loop or two. That was kind of my initial guess. BTW I'm gonna hit you up for beers this week if you have time. We'll talk soon.

And at Carbonhobbit: Since I've been in a cable making mood the past couple days I now have enough extensions to do that and feed a 2nd or 3rd camera. I had never actually thought about using the 25" footer just on the dolly. Duh.

Enough fun. Back to work.

Thanks all

On 2/3/2019 at 3:45 AM, Eric Toline said:

10' too long is better than 2" too short.

These day's, most people look at me sideways when I say "where's your service loop?".

service loop WIKI

"An extra length of wire or cable included in an electrical or electromechanical assembly for neatness, accessibility, freedom of movement or future serviceability."

@MSheldon Would love to grab a beer next week!!  Hit me up.

I thought it was funny you posted about this the other day, I have been using my 25' extension as the dolly cable, and a 75 to run back to my cart.  A couple weeks ago I decided it was time to finally make a dolly only extension so this was already on my mind.