TC cable

Jakobk

What cable do you use for making proper tc cable? 

I have best results when using mic cable from a multicore I don't need any more. 

They work best on the lemo side but i struggle sometimes to get it nice on the bnc side. To solder the shield on the bnc shell works but doesn't look nice.

Using a 50 Ohm bnc works well on that connector but sucks soldering on to the lemo 5pin...

Best regards! 

if you are using a BNC connector, then use the cable that fits it. 
as Jason said - if you are using an RG174 connector - which is what i use for most of my timecode cables, then use RG174 cable. its much easier when making the BNC as the connector and cable are designed to be compatible.
get yourself a crimp tool for the BNC, as thats how they are designed to be made. i got a cheap Rolson one from Maplin whilst they were still going. hopefully you have something similar in Vienna you can get a hold of.

Okay, struggling with co-ax for a Lemo to BNC is just silly.

Get nice cable for the Lemo end (I use 22ga Belden Brilliance console wire) and simply use a solder-on BNC at the other end.  I use these Calrad connectors.  Easy-peesy!

https://www.wallcoinc.com/Calrad_75_801G_75_High_Quality_Male_BNC_Connector_p/wal22-75-801g-75.htm

D.

I think you mean what Matt Mayer said. 

I think the most important thing is getting the outer diameter of the cable correct to match the Lemo plug which can be ordered with different sized cable clamping parts to accommodate different sized cables. Buying premade BNCs and chopping them in half works great. The solder-on BNCs are also a good way to go. 

I’ve used Canare GS—4 for TC cables with solder on BNCs. It’s a nice, not too thick unbalanced cable meant for instruments. Just a nice inner braided conductor and braided shield. There’s a plastic conductive layer you have to remember to trim though. 

The problem with using premade BNCs is if you’re not quick with the iron you get a lot of shrink back on the insulation which complicates things and usually creates a do-over on the Lemo end. Not as nice that way as a good Canare cable.