CL-12 Firmware Update Required...

BAB414

Hey SD,

I love your products and own many of them. I have some weird bugs with my 664/CL-12 combo as of firmware version 4.51 which I've had since it was released, though these issues only seem to have arisen for me in the last 6 months. Before anyone asks, yes I use only approved media.

1) I've been using a little external cell phone battery for the cl-12 microboost and it works fine but sometimes I forget to unplug it after wrap, it drains and then I'm screwed the next morning. I switched to a XLR4->USB adapter to power the cl-12 continuously from my MEON LiFE which worked fine for a few days until the power went intermittent for some unknown reason and the microboost warning would flicker onto the screen very rapidly. I have since switched to a different battery with better results, but using it the first day, five hours in, it either died or went to sleep and the notification popped up again. First question for SD users/SD - is there a good battery/power source/workaround you recommend that won't go to sleep or discharge overnight?

2) This would all be fine if it didn't result in this bigger issue. The following has happened inconsistently, only a few times when the power was suddenly lost (though not every time) but very often (though not always) when I have to unplug the cl-12 to get the media out. This happens around lunch when I'm doing media breaks. I've tried powering the 664 off first to take the media out and I've tried leaving it on, all with inconsistent results. After the media break, I plug the cl-12 back into the 664 and power on the mixer if it isn't already and get the "CL-12 Firmware Update Required" notification. Anyone else? This slows me down at least 3 minutes because I have to unplug everything and let it "download (???)" etc. What's going on here? Is it an issue with power? The 664? CL-12? It's really frustrating. Last time, I had to just mix the scene on the rotary faders because I didn't have enough time for the nonsense. Then I unplugged all the peripherals and power cycled the machine and suddenly the update wasn't required anymore. It's just become a nuisance that I hate dealing with. Can anyone shed any light on this?

3) After #2 happens and I get the CL-12 up and running again, inputs 7 and 8 have ALWAYS reverted to direct outputs. Another annoying step I have to take to fix.

4) Unrelated but once every few months, the 664 will freeze upon boot up. Not a big deal but still shouldn't happen. I also just recently had it freeze immediatly after cutting on a take but luckily didn't lose anything.

And while I have your attention - I'd love to be able to use the CL-12 exclusively for naming scenes and tracks. The way it's setup,  you still need to hit some switches on the 664 to delete and to submit a new name. I'm sure there are a few more things like this. Any shortcuts we can put in so that I can leave my 664 alone? I'm at peace with the fact that the trims are on it. I just think the all-digital stuff should be able to be handled with the cl-12.

Thanks for listening.

-Ben

Known issue.

We asked an SD distributor about it and they told us a workaround:

1. Disconnect DC Boost and data cable.

2. switch on 664

3. connect data cable

4. then connect dc boost

Anyway, it's a pain in the ass. I'm curious if FW 4.60 will solve this problem. 

In my case their order of operations advice didn’t help but I was getting the connect power boost bug. A little different. 

Was also using wingman. (664, CL12, wingman) Maybe there’s some incompatibility there when it’s juggling both of those that they’re not aware of. Latest firmware, approved cards, 72 degrees, light winds from the west.. beats me. 

1- the power source can be intermittent depending on what you're drawing and if the cable youre using is finicky.  the choice of using a micro plug was abysmal and an ill conceived design in and of itself. any messages telling someone to connect the power boost could likely just be poor contact or a bad cable.

2 - this lack of plug and play has been an issue for years.  the order in which you connect and disconnect your dc and usb plug will affect what messages come up.  the firmware update message really doesn't do anything but cause migraines when something was done out of order.  you can search the sd facebook group and they say if the message isn't going away, just do the opposite powering sequence.  but make sure you always do the proper sequence when powering up and powering down.

it also boggles my mind why the cl12 didn't have a programmable backspace delete button, but sound devices has been dropping the ball in all aspects of their professional lines so im not surprised.

Agreed. 5V and usb micro for the money they charge for the CL12 makes me want to barf. 

In my case, I tried multiple usb cables and both the USB port on a Meon life and a separate Anker brand USB charger with plenty of capacity. Maybe the unit is a lemon but I suspect it’s just a buggy design. 

I had that warning about power only once, plugged in a Droid  phone charger into the back of my cart, into the mini USB, power up mixer without the power plug into the ac on back of my cart and it always works fine..as soon as the CL-12 fired up, I re-stab the AC for the CL-12 back into my cart .. never happened again.. nor has my unit froze up since that start up sequence..

That's my sequence.. I'm sticking to it..

• 3 weeks later...

Frankly, there are a number of applications I'd love to use the 688 / CL12 for, but I'm fearful that it will lock up on me or have the dreaded "power issue".  For instance, I do regular live events for CSPAN where I'm recording continuously for 3 hours or more!  There is no opportunity for a "take 2".  I have another "live event" client that tends to run even longer.  Sadly, it seems I can not trust this combo for anything that does not permit a second take.  So sad.  

I agree with the poster above.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!  I'm tired of excuses and "work a rounds".  For what we pay for this gear, it should be far more reliable than this!

Tom

• 2 years later...

I pull this thread back to say that all of the above issues could be the pins of usb connector on the 664 (or 688 in my case but same issues) being too oxidated. SD probably did not use gold plated usb connectors.

The pins tend to get dirty and oxidated out of control which affect the usb connection and data flow. Sometimes changing a cable would work because of a tighter contact would push the oxides away, but the best thing to do is to clean the plug with deoxit or any desoxyding product.

It also happen for laptop computers used on the field (dirt, change in hygrometry, etc...)  connected to sound card, you blame the machine or cable but cleaning the pins often solve the issues.

Having these issues regularly on my current shoot, I was actually looking for infos about the usb port on the 6 series, I did not find any actual components failure reports. Then I started cleaning the pins and they were pretty dirty from oxides. It is now working fine. 🤞

19 hours ago, Fred Salles said:

I pull this thread back to say that all of the above issues could be the pins of usb connector on the 664 (or 688 in my case but same issues) being too oxidated. SD probably did not use gold plated usb connectors.

The pins tend to get dirty and oxidated out of control which affect the usb connection and data flow. Sometimes changing a cable would work because of a tighter contact would push the oxides away, but the best thing to do is to clean the plug with deoxit or any desoxyding product.

It also happen for laptop computers used on the field (dirt, change in hygrometry, etc...)  connected to sound card, you blame the machine or cable but cleaning the pins often solve the issues.

Having these issues regularly on my current shoot, I was actually looking for infos about the usb port on the 6 series, I did not find any actual components failure reports. Then I started cleaning the pins and they were pretty dirty from oxides. It is now working fine. 🤞

Hey Fred, this is a great suggestion and one I never considered. I was so sure it was a software bug this never occurred to me. I appreciate it and will give it a try. Cheers!