Sound Cart Power Supply or Juice from G&E ??

Bgood

Hello. Wondering how you manage your power supply when working off of a Sound Cart?

I usually plug my cart into the power box that G&E Department supplies, and use NP-1’ as backups.  Do you guys/gals use a power supply from PSC or Remote Audio instead?

My cart is pretty modest, and for jobs near home using an older SLA PSC Powerstation.  For jobs I have to fly on a plane, using V-lock camera batteries and a Sony AC-DN2B which is an AC power supply / battery charger and seamlessly falls  over to battery when AC is removed.  If I had a larger cart would likely find that I’d need to up the current supply and capacity a bit.  When I push into position, I am up and running on batteries (could go couple hours) and when my utility has a chance  to hook me up to power, I’m charging up for the next move.

Powerstar Euro Life on the cart, NP1s for mobile/backup. The Euro Life can be plugged in or unplugged while the system is running without issue. If we're stationary for a while, I'll ask for a stinger to keep me topped off, but I can run most of the day without it.

My setup is "bag on a cart", so I can run from the Euro Life or NP1s while on the cart, and solely NP1s when the bag comes off for remote locations, car work, etc. 

I'm just the opposite from Phillip. AC all the time unless I need to be battery only. We always have Generators and a crew of Electricians. UPS/Surge etc. No problems to date. I think I can get @45 min for moves and such without shutting down.. If I'm somewhere funky, it's the Honda 2000....  but always AC.. 

Bag rigs and mini cart, DC.. I will use a Pelican 12 volt and run it all if need be.

Whatever works..

I'm with Tim Visser and Jon G on this matter.

I started to sleep more soundly the day I got my PSC Power-station. Anxiety regarding power and how long I might have to operate independently just evaporated. I could run for hours, probably all day, without ever even seeing a stinger. When AC power would become available, I could connect and replenish the fitted battery.

This system worked here and also worked seamlessly abroad; I only needed to have a plug adapter. The internal circuits of the Powerstation took care of adapting to different voltage and cycles.

Ron has come out with new models that permit attaching different battery supplies, a valuable flexibility. But the electrical circuit management inherent to all his designs is the main attraction.

Trew Audio/Remote Audio also has power management devices that serve the same purpose. I'm sure they are also good but Ron was first and I'm loyal to his power products. 

David 

Edited by David Waelder
Spelling

My secession from AC power started back when we were still often having to burn DVRAMs at the end of the day, or during lunch or etc.  I had issues keeping AC power from generators etc up, the cables were in the way and for me it was just one more cable to have to run @ each setup.  Being able to just be self contained as much of the time as possible was a habit I got into and have stayed in.  For sound gear that really wasn't designed for movie work I have to have AC, no way around it.  If you have good relations w/ the Electric Dept and they are taking care of you then blessings on them and props to your diplomatic skills.  For me, the default position I've arrived at over the years is that if I want to have power, rain shelter and so on I'd better be prepared to deal with it myself.