Boom Pole Quick Release Systems?

IronFilm

- Ambient QuikLok works great for me.

- I saw and handled the new Rycote ones at an event a few months back - they seem great, but I haven't actually used them, so whatever that's worth...

- For antenna mast and perhaps mic stands, I use On-Stage QK-2B... works fine, but I would not wanna put them on a pole, as the weight would be equal to (or even more than) that of a mic, especially since they are 5/8" threaded and require adapters to 3/8-16, which adds even more weight.

- Using no quick mount works fine too, of course. I used to simply carry two assembled poles - one for interior- and one for exterior- mic complete with wind protection. This is in some situations even quicker....

On 2/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, JonG said:

I used to use the Ambient ones but found that they would sometimes lock up for no reason. 

I do like the Ambients, but the random lock-up is really getting up my nose.  I can't figure out how to prevent it. I keep them greased, as per instructions, but every once in a blue moon they really lock- like I can't even release it with a Leatherman.

This thread actually just reminded me that I have a locked one in my bag right now, it happened last week on an out of town  shoot, and I finished the day by just screwing off the jammed end from the mic suspension.

Going to go to the toolbox right now to get 2 pairs of channel lock pliers to release it.

If anyone has a solution to this, please enlighten us!

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

• 2 years later...
On 2/15/2019 at 2:20 PM, Freeheel said:

I do like the Ambients, but the random lock-up is really getting up my nose.  I can't figure out how to prevent it. I keep them greased, as per instructions, but every once in a blue moon they really lock- like I can't even release it with a Leatherman.

[snip]

If anyone has a solution to this, please enlighten us!

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Hey gang, I have one that locked up really bad right now - any tricks or solutions to getting it un-stuck?

I've had it happen occasionally, and always managed to wiggle it loose, sometimes with some mild force - but this one won't let go...

Thanks, Paul - I will try that next time. I just did this right before I saw your post:

IMG_2809.jpeg

Now, after fiddling with it a bit, I noticed that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with grease, but rather if I let the spring action snap it back, it gets stuck. If I guide it back by hand, softening the way it settles in, it does not get stuck.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:23 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

Thanks, Paul - I will try that next time. I just did this right before I saw your post:

IMG_2809.jpeg

Now, after fiddling with it a bit, I noticed that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with grease, but rather if I let the spring action snap it back, it gets stuck. If I guide it back by hand, softening the way it settles in, it does not get stuck.

you just found the top secret solution. Don’t let it snap! Have your index finger on the purple part and let slide back into the locking position. 

On 1/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

IMG_2809.jpeg

Awww, poor anodizing…

As a solution, next time just use a piece of bicycle inner tube tire that you cut to size and place it around the object before vice gripping them into vice grip oblivion. 🤫 Ask me how I know. 

5 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

Awww, poor anodizing…

As a solution, next time just use a piece of bicycle inner tube tire that you cut to size and place it around the object before vice gripping them into vice grip oblivion. 🤫 Ask me how I know. 

Haha! Yeah, I know you are absolutely right, but but but I was really careful with the vise grips - I promise :)

Started with Panamic's and still think simple is best and have 4 Panamic poles. On my cabled (Loon and Ktek) poles I went with Ambient early on and have used them without problem in many different environments including sandy, salty beaches and cold Alaska mountains. As I've not had any problems I've not bothered to check into others.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:23 PM, Johnny Karlsson said:

it doesn't seem to have anything to do with grease

A colleague, whose (old) Ambients still work like new, told me he uses a bycicle grease called "white grease". I thought to be smart and tried the grease provided by Ambient for their threads on the poles (it is also white): Bad idea, all treated Quicklocks got stuck and were only possible to open the way like Johnny Karlsson showed. I cleaned the grease out and they were like before: a princess to open only with the right sense of touch.

Now I changed to the Rycotes and ... YES! easy true one hand operation. No fails within first year.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhhh bike grease…my specialty. For small quantities I highly recommend:

1. Finish Line Flouro grease

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/bicycle-greases/extreme-fluoro-grease

I got into this grease from building bikes with S&S stainless steel couplers and it being recommended by  the manufacturer. If you want to do a deep dive on the reasons why they chose this grease it can be found here:

http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_greas.htm

I’m going to get those Rycote PCS products based off of this thread. Thank you to the contributors and of course JW!