Sign in to follow this  
IronFilm

Boom Pole Quick Release Systems?

- Ambient QuikLok works great for me.

- I saw and handled the new Rycote ones at an event a few months back - they seem great, but I haven't actually used them, so whatever that's worth...

- For antenna mast and perhaps mic stands, I use On-Stage QK-2B... works fine, but I would not wanna put them on a pole, as the weight would be equal to (or even more than) that of a mic, especially since they are 5/8" threaded and require adapters to 3/8-16, which adds even more weight.

- Using no quick mount works fine too, of course. I used to simply carry two assembled poles - one for interior- and one for exterior- mic complete with wind protection. This is in some situations even quicker....

I’ve been using the SGS ones since they’ve been available. I’m very happy with them, and have them on all my poles. 

I used to use the Ambient ones but found that they would sometimes lock up for no reason. 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, JonG said:

I used to use the Ambient ones but found that they would sometimes lock up for no reason. 

I do like the Ambients, but the random lock-up is really getting up my nose.  I can't figure out how to prevent it. I keep them greased, as per instructions, but every once in a blue moon they really lock- like I can't even release it with a Leatherman.

This thread actually just reminded me that I have a locked one in my bag right now, it happened last week on an out of town  shoot, and I finished the day by just screwing off the jammed end from the mic suspension.

Going to go to the toolbox right now to get 2 pairs of channel lock pliers to release it.

If anyone has a solution to this, please enlighten us!

Cheers,

Brent Calkin