RIP - Malcolm Davies, Amps, CAS

Jeff Wexler

Malcolm Davies was already a legend in UK sound recording circles, when I was 'a boy' (as he would have referred to me) on my way up into the industry some.... well .... 35 years ago. He was ... ubiquitous... omnipresent.... and all over the place. He did loads of work on the Isle of Man (a tiny tax haven island just off the west coast of England), during the 10 or 15 years that there was much film production there on account of tax breaks for productions to shoot there.

Malcolm was fantastically generous with his abundant knowledge, which he was genuinely more than happy to share at any opportunity.

Malcolm was always interested in the nuts and bolts of sound recording. He had tidy little sidelines going by buying and selling sound blankets, and also making Ursta'esque sound trolleys.

Malcolm was one of THE most keen and fired up sound recordists I have ever come across. I am genuinely not sure what his age was when he died last week (ironically he died only a day or two before his birthday), but within the last 6 or 8 months, when I put a shout out on 'the social media' for a second unit recordist and team in Manchester, the first reply was from Malcolm.... 'I'm free' or words to that effect.

I bought a few items of kit from Malcolm a couple of years ago. When the package arrived, I opened it to find that Malcolm had included a pile of extra accessory stuff, all totally pertinent to the stuff I had actually paid for, with a note to say 'you might as well have this stuff as it will be no use to me'.

The number of fond memories of Malcolm here in the UK (forums etc..) has been extraordinary. He really di touch many, many people's lives.

Malcolm went quiet on the UK forums about 6 or 8 months ago. When he resurfaced it turned out he had had (I think it was) quadruple heart bypass surgery. As soon as he was able to do so he was back on the forums here, and we were glad to have him back. His 'Friday stories' of times past, were legendary over here in the UK. He had great and good wit, and was always glad to call out 'production' when they were being asurd.

Malcolm was absolutely one of the 'Good Guys'.

I am so very sad to be saying goodbye to Malcolm Davies - he was an absolute legend around these parts.

Simon Bishop

13 hours ago, Bash said:

Malcolm was absolutely one of the 'Good Guys'.

I am so very sad to be saying goodbye to Malcolm Davies - he was an absolute legend around these parts.

Simon Bishop

Simon, thanks so much for sharing your memories of Malcolm. Best wishes to you and everyone who knew him personally.

I spoke with him at length many times, and we met on here. such a nice man.

I too have bought some things from him, and he did exactly the same for me as he did for you Simon. I got a box full of everything specifically related, plus more that he thought would be helpful, including some rather peculiar things I had to inquire about further. 

I'll never forget him. 

Very sad to hear. I also just knew him from here and probably RAMPS. Always helpful, always a delight. Thank you Simon for your own write up: hopefully we'll get to hear some of the vintage (tho' seems odd still to me to refer to the 80s as vintage!) stories or memories over the coming months. RIP Malcolm!

Jez Adamson