Mixpre 10t as mixer?

u974

I'm also interested in hearing about real world applications for the 10t. I use a Maxx now, and have a mixpre 3 as a backup. I absolutely love the interface and build of the Mixpre recorders (and they sound fantastic), but they just seem to be missing enough for them to sort of be on the edge consideration for me. 

I've been recording a number of podcasts and was using my MAXX, but have since procured a 10T because some of the extra features are great like the wingman app, and using it as an audio interface for subsequent editing.  Also the extra channel count gives me more flexibility for larger sessions.  At first my unit had USB issues, sent it back and they replaced the USB IC and it has been running flawlessly ever since.  Any particular questions?

16 hours ago, wbrock001 said:

I've been recording a number of podcasts and was using my MAXX, but have since procured a 10T because some of the extra features are great like the wingman app, and using it as an audio interface for subsequent editing.  Also the extra channel count gives me more flexibility for larger sessions.  At first my unit had USB issues, sent it back and they replaced the USB IC and it has been running flawlessly ever since.  Any particular questions?

Anyway to use MP10 as computer interface and with a USB controller at same time? 

18 hours ago, wbrock001 said:

Do you still feel like you need your Maxx, or prefer it for certain things over the 10t? I mostly record sit down interviews, and am pretty confident in the performance of my Maxx on long takes, I guess I've been on the Zax side so long that just recording Wavs feels like I'm missing something. Also the USB ports on the side won't let you simultaneously use a control surface and record to a thumb drive correct?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 11:43 AM, CineStrega said:

I'm also interested in hearing about real world applications for the 10t. I use a Maxx now, and have a mixpre 3 as a backup. I absolutely love the interface and build of the Mixpre recorders (and they sound fantastic), but they just seem to be missing enough for them to sort of be on the edge consideration for me. 

I have a MAXX and a 10T. I use the 10T when I use more than 6 wireless mics otherwise I stick to the MAXX.                                                                      Due to it's size you can't really mix on the 10T it's best to just set your levels and just record. Also you can't change the limiters level on the 10T. Hope they update that soon. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2019 at 8:55 AM, CineStrega said:

Do you still feel like you need your Maxx, or prefer it for certain things over the 10t? I mostly record sit down interviews, and am pretty confident in the performance of my Maxx on long takes, I guess I've been on the Zax side so long that just recording Wavs feels like I'm missing something. Also the USB ports on the side won't let you simultaneously use a control surface and record to a thumb drive correct?

Yes!  I find it cleaner than the mixpre 10t with sm7b mics.   And as a matter of convenience I use it with my DPA mics when recording video, but in general either one can be used just fine. I think the max is lower noise and cleaner but that’s not saying that the mix pre is not low noise because it is very low noise. I do love the Wingman app and that’s very nice feature being able to easily change track names with an iPad.     For Ultimate quality and where never clip comes in to play it will be the max but for general low-cost high speed recording the mixpre 10 is sweet.