Advice on selling used Location Sound gear.

Jacobcullen

I started an audio services agency out in the wilderness of India. Things started to get slightly better but I had a severe dearth of audio equipment rental companies for pro gear, so I sucked it up and coughed up dollars and went all in on a 788T-SSD + CL8 thinking of a 10 year future for it. Shit happens, and I've moved to Canada with my gear now, and options to rent are more than plentiful,  free netflix  tech news so I'd like to sell and get something a little more personal and lightweight (and rent a tank like this on a per project basis).

Looking for advice on where I can sell my gear (including a road case and sachtler bag + harness, and BDS system), and what would be a fair price to bargain for.

My take:

This is a good place to sell used location-sound equipment. Especially if you and the buyer are frequent and long-term posters or have someone who can vouch for you (ie- it might take some convincing to get people to send you money). I've bought stuff from people here and I've had good experiences (including this week; thanks Tom!).

And many of our go-to location-sound dealers will also sell equipment on consigment. It seems like they offer, in exchange for a cut of the sale, security for the seller and buyer. I've bought a fair amount of used kit from several solid US-based dealers. One of several options would be Trew Audio, who have locations in Toronto and Vancouver: https://www.trewaudio.com/company/branch-hours/

eBay and Reverb and the like can work, but it takes more attention to avoid scams and just general problems. Seems like Reverb, which is mainly focused on music equipment, provides fewer sales-gone-wrong experiences than eBay. But I personally know a couple people who've run into problems (though I know more who've had positive experiences). Personally, I'd go with one of the first two options (here or a dealer).

One thing to be aware of selling on these forums or FB groups for soundies: people are very tuned into the actual, current value of items. If you overprice it to try to give yourself negotiating room, you'll get zero traffic. There are really no suckers here. Amongst pros, if you list it for a good price, it will be sold very quickly. If you try to package in accessories that people don't really need to help jack up the price, you'll turn people off.  Good luck! 

I've sold via Gearslutz, but for movie sound gear your stuff will be buried in an avalanche of music-oriented gear (same for Reverb or VIntage King), so selling either here or via the Trew consignment site has worked best for me.  Trew's reach is pretty amazing--many of the people who bought my gear through them were from other countries, for instance.

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to Canada - what city are you in?  I've had luck purchasing audio equipment on Kijiji    www.kijiji.ca

Trew Audio and Audio Sevices in Toronto might be able to help sell your gear on consignment or word of mouth.

Cheers,

Dave