Zaxcom FP8 Alternatives

hobbiesodd

Hello All, 

Has anyone come across a 4 channel alternative for Zaxcom’s FP8? Specifically one that is line (or switchable) input? (Like a FP4 if such a thing existed.) 

I love the FP8 with my Nomad, but since I use Lectro wireless the extra faders/functionality of the FP8 is overkill for my purposes. 

I have inquired to Kortwich about their VCP-M4 but unfortunately it’s mic level only and since I am using SRs I don’t need the preamp— and they are not eager to make one at this time. Otherwise, that size of a unit would be perfect for me. 

Any tips on things I may have missed would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

5 hours ago, hobbiesodd said:

Hello All, 

Has anyone come across a 4 channel alternative for Zaxcom’s FP8? Specifically one that is line (or switchable) input? (Like a FP4 if such a thing existed.) 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

Zaxcom panels are somewhat proprietary, and I know of no other panels that will work with Zaxcom kit. I also believe that Zaxcom kit will only 'see' one panel connected to it. I am sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. Simon B

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

You are basically looking for an analog 4-channel line mixer, right?

Not in the sense of a “full featured mixer”. 

I don’t need bells and whistles, I just want to control my 7-10 inputs without using the V-Faders, like an FP8 does.... only smaller. 

12 minutes ago, Bash said:

Zaxcom panels are somewhat proprietary, and I know of no other panels that will work with Zaxcom kit. I also believe that Zaxcom kit will only 'see' one panel connected to it. I am sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for. Simon B

Yeah I understand that and I’m willing to forgo some of the FP8 features for a smaller package. The Kortwich unit would suit my needs just fine if it wasn’t a preamp. 

10 minutes ago, hobbiesodd said:

Not in the sense of a “full featured mixer”. 

I don’t need bells and whistles, I just want to control my 7-10 inputs without using the V-Faders, like an FP8 does.... only smaller. 

Ah ok, I think I get it now. You don’t want to use the FP8, instead you want to control everything with Nomad‘s 6 dials and then 4 more. And 7-10 would got to your mixer first then to Nomad? What are you going to control with the faders? Presumably post-fade levels going to the mix, right? How is that going to work with an external device? 

Is this similar to your needs?

https://m.thomann.de/gb/rolls_mx_42.htm

28 minutes ago, allistair said:

What is it about the FP8 that has you seeking out an alternative? Price? Size?

I own a FP8 but there is so much wasted space and weight. I don’t need all 8 faders and that huge cassis. If I could cut my FP8 in half I would!

33 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Ah ok, I think I get it now. You don’t want to use the FP8, instead you want to control everything with Nomad‘s 6 dials and then 4 more. And 7-10 would got to your mixer first then to Nomad? What are you going to control with the faders? Presumably post-fade levels going to the mix, right? How is that going to work with an external device? 

Is this similar to your needs?

https://m.thomann.de/gb/rolls_mx_42.htm

I can set the gain in the Nomad so all I really need is post fade control for the mix. 

That MX42 is getting the right idea, but I’m not a fan of the RCA connections or that form. 

The Kortwich VCP-M4 is a perfect example of what I need, but without the preamps. 

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/en/products-from-kortwich/vcp-preamp/

5 hours ago, hobbiesodd said:

I can set the gain in the Nomad so all I really need is post fade control for the mix. 

to be able to do this it would need to work through and be compatible with the nomads serial port commands, as the FP8/Mix8 or Oasis currently do. That is the only way you can have the Nomad control the trim and an external fader controlling post fade.

What we have to understand here is the difference between a mixer (which has pre amps, mixing circuits, output stages, faders etc....) and a fader panel, which is simply a box with some faders on, which communicates the position of the fader to the (separate) mixer/recorder. Remember that no audio passes through an FP8, it merely sends some fader values to the Maxx/Nomad/Deva. In truth I think it should be said that there is very little chance indeed that you will get an FP4 or anything similar for your Nomad. Until recently very few manufacturers in our field have allowed non proprietary panels to work with their kit. I can understand that decision, but it should also be pointed out that their are protocols out their for (midi style) fader panels which work for DAWs. Sound Devices have tapped into this for the Mix Pre Series, and it seems to be working for them quite well.Unfortunately the Nomad and Maxx series are quite mature now, so I suspect any future developments. especially external units, are unlikely as the potential forward sales will be low.

since Nomad inputs 7-10 are line level only would it be so bad to have an external mixer with preamps? It seems to me your needs are exactly what the Kortwich box was thought for. Since your SRs have variable output level you could definitely use the VCP without amplifying much of your signal.  

10 hours ago, Bash said:

What we have to understand here is the difference between a mixer (which has pre amps, mixing circuits, output stages, faders etc....) and a fader panel, which is simply a box with some faders on, which communicates the position of the fader to the (separate) mixer/recorder. Remember that no audio passes through an FP8, it merely sends some fader values to the Maxx/Nomad/Deva. 

Unfortunately the Nomad and Maxx series are quite mature now, so I suspect any future developments. especially external units, are unlikely as the potential forward sales will be low.

Exactly. Just a simple fader panel. It’s a shame Zax didn’t make a FP4 for the Maxx. 

6 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

since Nomad inputs 7-10 are line level only would it be so bad to have an external mixer with preamps? It seems to me your needs are exactly what the Kortwich box was thought for. Since your SRs have variable output level you could definitely use the VCP without amplifying much of your signal.  

Yes, I can absolutely use the Kortwich, but I’d prefer not to use an outside preamp. I like having my SRs at line output, especially if the inputs are line. Also, a unit without preamps would likely be less expensive. 

I was hoping there would be some other unit I wasn’t aware of that fits my needs but I may just get the Kortwich and try it out.