VDB Pole Creak on swing

Trey LaCroix

Hey all, I started to notice that my vDb pole has occasionally started creaking from the 1st or 2nd section (I think) when I do really quick swings while cuing. Any idea what might be causing it? It's a newer QT pole, and up to now has been the quietest pole I've ever used. I'd like to consult the experts here before I send my favorite pole to France for god knows how long. Thanks!

AFAIK, you can completely disassemble VDB poles for cleaning, etc.

I have an older one (80s version) which I have had apart to replace sections, cleaning, etc.and a newer QT type, which I haven't had to disassemble yet, but I'm sure it can be taken apart. 

Maybe if you did this, you could find the culprit. Look carefully for grit and tiny hairline cracks, which would mean time to order a new section.

Often times taking something apart and putting it back together again solves small mysteries...

I’ll add to this and say that the VDB poles have a treatment on the end of each section that provides grip to the inside of the adjacent section. As the cable brings dirt up into the pole this part loses its effectiveness and I think this can be a cause of creaking when rotating the pole while extended. I’ve had a lot of use with the six section VDB (before QT) and if I ever had to get rid of a creak I would just use less of the top sections and more of the bottom sections to even it out. I’ve been using a new QT for two years now and I keep the cable as clean as I can - I don’t use it in filthy locations or put a rycote on it - and it has not started creaking yet. The new poles are amazing and I’m happy they left the length the same on the XL. They have updated the carbon fiber it is more rigid and only slightly heavier than the last one. Also the cam lock QT collars are really really good.