Blimp for every mic?

spekter

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into buying a used MKH 8050 which I'm mainly buying to use for MS recording with a MKH 30 in a Rycote MS blimp.

I could buy just the MKH 8050 or also get a dedicated used Rycote blimp for it (of course for additional cost). Getting the blimp later on will be more expensive; either because I will have to buy a new one instead of used or because of additional shipping costs.

However, I'm not sure if I need a dedicated blimp for it, since it's main purpose will be MS recording; in case I want to just use the 8050, I could also just use it in the MS blimp.

The only upside of a separate blimp seems to be the size/ weight, since the 8050 blimp will be a bit smaller/ lighter than the MS blimp (I will use this for fx recording; so I don't really think there is a downside to always recording the additional side-track anyway).

Do most of you have a separate blimp for every mic/ mic-setup? From your experience, is it going to "bite me in the ass" later on, if I don't get the blimp?

Thanks in advance!

31 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Hello: a "blimp", in movie-speak, is a device to quiet a noisy camera (usually a film camera).  A stiff "basket" style windscreen used with a microphone outdoors (possibly in windy conditions) is a "zeppelin", or "zep".   This is not pedantry, it is correct usage!

Even rycote calls it a blimp sometimes, so whatever....

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 19.20.53.png

2 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

Even rycote calls it a blimp sometimes, so whatever....

I'm guessing that Rycote in that instance uses the term "blimp" because the thing appears to be aimed at RODE NTG mics and "Blimp" is what Rode calls their zep/windshield: http://www.rode.com/accessories/blimp  In other instances, Rycote seems to use "windshield" a lot more often.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but around the parts of North America that I've worked, "blimp" is used as Phil suggests. Maybe it's different in the EU. 

Back to the OP's question, I don't have much experience with MS, but in my limited experience (like a few days of sfx recording), it seemed like the MS Rycote zep/windshield (which wasn't mine) wasn't all that much more heavy than a "regular" Rycote. Like maybe 100 grams... You could probably dig through the Rycote (or Cinela or whatever) website to find the difference... So I guess it depends on how long your pole will be extended and how long your takes... But let's see what others say here.

Different markets different vernacular so pedantry only goes so far. Probably 50 different names for these and more than 1 used in any given rental house anywhere - enjoy. I mostly hear 'rycote' unless its a 'cinela'.

41 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 23.06.51.png

No need to respond to post #8 ,' ) 'they' know already.

I have a different zeppelin and shock mount for every mic. Some mics, like my long shotguns and MS setup, live in their windshields. However, my commonly used mics generally stay in their cases until they are used. 

On on a side note, my personal opinion, but I think the mkh50 will be a better sonic match for the mkh30. That series seems to have a rather distinct sound to them, while the mkh8xxx series is more transparent to my ears. My 2¢

I don’t really use MS setups at the moment, but I have an ORTF rig permanently setup in a Rycote windshield. It cannot quickly be reconfigured anyway, so it makes sense to keep it ready to go. I also have an „outside“ mic in its windshield all the time and an „inside“ mic in a case. So going in or out and stereo it’s all fairly quickly. 

Personally, I don’t really care for either blimp nor zeppelin, much like I don’t like many of the words for the windjammer, such as deadcat, muff ( they say that here sometimes), cat, whatever. I much prefer windshield and fur.