Podcast Microphones

saadasound

I'm working a job that has a lot of standard interviews I'll be using my 50 on, but the client also wants to record a podcast style interview as well during a convention. I was thinking of just using 2 50's, but does anyone have any recommendations for better mic choices that may have better isolation? Thinking something cheap that I could potentially get at guitar center then return after using!

A good room, and a good mic, could be any good mic.... with proper placement will sound just fine for the podcast..

If your thinking of a cheapie, why not just use another good mic you already have and be done with it...

Your isolation will come from placement, your room... and the quiet of that room you are given to work from.

The 5x Sennheiser e835 I have for podcasts have been great, especially when the people being recorded are not super audio savvy.  Minimal handling and background noise if the room isn't great.   Another thing that I have found is that headphones (Sound devices HX-3) for everyone make a huge difference.  Instead of me trying to explain what good placement sounds like they can hear it themselves.   

FFS, just buy an Re20 or two and be done with it. If you don't want to buy, find a way to rent. Dynamic is going to give you far better isolation than a condenser. May be cumbersome, but you'll have to make the convenience vs. quality trade-off consideration for yourself. Don't buy and return... that's childish.

You cheaply can rent a couple RE20, SM7b, or other common mics used for radio and podcasting here:

https://micrentals.com/podcasting-microphones/

And since you mention Guitar Center, some locations also rent mics. And with podcasting being a hip thing, they might also have appropriate mics:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Services/Rentals/Microphones.gc

And I'd guess our usual suspect dealers could also rent you what you need for just a few bucks.

That can be a cheap way to go...