Recover Exfat (Sound Devices Pix 970 after format SSD

Stef Albertyn

Hi -

We had a "misunderstanding" between data wrangler and sound crew and an entire days worth of sound files are gone after it was formatted before pulling the files and arching/backup. The drive is untouched since formatting. Tried several "off-the-shelf" softwares (Mac OS) and it can retrieve the files but they are rubish (2 seconds of recording and the goes into digital noise). 

Any help will be appreciated (GREATLY!!!)

Kind regards

to all

stef

How are the file sizes, as expected? If not, it's back to the drawing board.

If so, can you send me one?

click here to upload
(Don't hold your breath, if there are two seconds good, and then it becomes noise, at least one byte is missing or too much. Probably way more...)

You can toy yourself with Audacity, with the 'import raw' option, and toy with the params. You probably then get 'other' parts good.

But again, I'm afraid you are going to need 'better' tools, and if you have to go to a specialized company, bring very deep pockets.

Then, to bitch: How come you format these drives? You have multiple, and I would say, get 500 gig drives and only format after the movie is released, still room to spare. (SSD is dirt cheap nowadays.)

Hi Bouke

Thank you for looking into this for me!

The drive was not formatted by me - I am doing post on the job and they came to me for help as they are all out shooting - I agree with you - they have 10+ drives and messed up by not having the spares on remote location. I always record to at least a week's drives so that drive 1 will only have to be deleted by day 7 so that any errors in data handling can be picked up before disaster...

THANKS!

I had something similar happen to a backup drive recently.  I spent $90US on the EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, and, by God!, it worked.

All FWIW, but I had every reason to believe that it would not and I was, thankfully, wrong..

https://www.easeus.com/landing/mac-data-recovery-software.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi56iyKbX4AIVyMDACh0yAA4ZEAAYASAAEgLia_D_BwE&utm_expid=268318-99.NoC0UszqQA-9t1Tysn0FLQ.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

If not, it would be time to take the drive to a data recovery service near you and just pony-up the money to recover it.  Cheaper than a day of reshoots.

D.

Hi Stef,

If you have a copy of the recovered files (NOT on the original drive) it would be worth trying Audio Rescue by Take Vos from Vosgames (the writer of Boom Recorder). I and others have had good luck with this on files that look the right size but only partially play out. http://www.vosgames.nl/downloads/

It's free - worth a try.

I’ve had good luck with PhotoRec. I know, it doesn’t sound like it can save anythIn other than pictures, but it does. It recovers previously formatted partitions and deeply searches the drive for deleted files. Don’t expect it to be fast. It’s extremely thorough , thus time consuming. TestDisk is the software for recovering deleted or formatted partitions amd photorec can recover files from a drive. Both are treasure! Free to use, optional donation. 

https://www.cgsecurity.org/

9 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

VERY cool.

Sorry, but Tourtelots statement makes no sense from an IT point of view.

track names are a small part of the metadata. Metadata is a part of the file just as well as the sound data.
But, all metadata is (at best, unless you have a Cantar) some 6000 bytes.

Now, recording at 48Khz 24 bits, this is about (6000 / 48000 * 3 ) some 0.04 seconds of a (mono) signal.

Just ONE wrong byte (at the wrong point) can make a file corrupt. Just ONE missing byte can make a file corrupt.

So, it's either all or nothing.

If I get your meaning, let me re-phrase, because this could be the difference.

I believe that the HDD was scrambled, not the individual files.  The drive wouldn't open.

Is that what happens when a drive is "formatted?"  Something in the drive says there are no files present, but the still-intact files are really still there?

Helps?

D.