Tac!t cable, DPA 4017C and Lectro HM noise

Ben B

Hello,

I own a DPA 4017C that i use with my Lectro HM transmitter. I had some issue with the HM and the 4017C and found out that DPA fixed the issue of the compatibility with their newer C preamp and the Lectro HM Tx. DPA switched my C preamp for a new one and the problem was gone. My setup worked perfectly until today...

Knowing that the C preamp doesn't have any low cut built in, i thought i would add a Rycote Tac!t cable between the Mic and the Lectro HM to cut on some of the handling and wind noise thus avoiding to overload the HM too fast.

I am now facing a second problem....

When connecting my Tac!t cable with my 4017C and my HM i get a nasty mid pitched noise. When i squeeze the cable with my hand the noise disappears, like a grounding issue. All of the solders are ok.

I then did the usual narrowing the problem down system and found out that, of course, the mic connected with a cable directly into the 633 sounds perfect, switching to a normal non Tac!t cable fixes the issue, switching the preamp to the B reduces the noise a little bit (on my last problem the B preamp worked when my C didn't) and switching the mic itself (MKH416 with Tac!t cable) fixes the issue as well.

Now my question, does someone uses the same setup and did things differently? Does someone could help me shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Ben

17 minutes ago, Jim Rillie said:

Not sure, but would this cable still pass Phantom power to the mic, or is it blocked in the filter?

It does pass the phantom power. It works perfectly when plugged directly into the mixer. It's just really not RF resistant...

8 minutes ago, Ben B said:

It does pass the phantom power. It works perfectly when plugged directly into the mixer. It's just really not RF resistant...

Yes that’s right. It’s a fairly well-known issue with this cable. Rycote are aware, but instead of improving it they discontinued it, unfortunately