Smallest Rycote (or other) for XY MKH8040s

lcs2112

Hello Folks,

Maybe you can help me. I know Rycote makes ready made systems for a pair of 8040s, but they are so big. I record Sound Effects, not dialog, so perfect coloration or whatever doesn't concern me because I mangle the sounds so hard in post anyway. What is the absolute smallest system in which I could fit these mics in in an xy arrangement?

I'm not attached to Rycote. I actually own a Cinela for another setup and it's great - so I'm very open minded to creative solutions. Think something small enough to put in my backpack with lunch and hike hours through the mountains. I'd probably use a MixPre6 recorder in case it matters.

The smallest XY config setup I have been able to find is the Cinela Albert. If you are happy with ORTF there are more options.

If you are OK with ORTF (or spaced pair) you can use a pair of Rycote BBG and a small stereo bar. They will break down to a more manageable size, but you will need to assemble the rig in the field.

There is nothing to stop you from manufacturing your own XY kit, if you are into DIY, but considering the need for proper shock mounting and dead air space around the pair you will need to be very creative (building a modular system that packs easily) to get the size down.

2 hours ago, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

The smallest you can get is probably the Rycote Stereo WS AC XY/MS Kit. Cinela has an 8000 XY suspension for the Pianissimo aswell.

I believe that has been discontinued 

Personally, I would focus on getting the best protection you can get. Although this may yield a bigger rig than you want, the weight won’t be significant. I generally pack two systems, a medium shotgun (MKH60) and a MS pair (MKH30/40) in separate windshields. The weight is insignificant compared to the recorder, small tripod, cables and food/water. It all fits in a medium backpack.

If you are going to hike for hours to get the sound, it is worth expending a little extra energy to make sure you get something useable,IMO.

How do you guys feel about the Cyclone? They advertise it hard, but I've never seen anybody actually use one..... I agree ORTF sounds great but I end up working a lot in mono so I don't want to risk any mistakes with summing.

Any idea how the size of the Rycote compares to the Pianissimo?