MBHO Swivel for Audix SCX1

Mattias Larsen

Hello fellow soundies, 

I have a few Audix Scx1 Microphones (Thank you Mike for pointing me in the right direction to rescue two of them). 

I use them for indoor dialogue and SFX recording outside (and sometimes for ambience if the wind is mild). 

I have a friend that is using octavas with the swivel joint and he can perform ORTF with much better wind protection than I have now since he can fit it in a basket with ease. I can also see how a swivel joint can be a really nice space saver when booming a car for example. 

I did not see any swivel joint such as the one from Octava or Schoeps directly from Audix, but I remember that there has been discussed that MBHO might be doing the capsules inside them. The MBHO "Knee" seems to fit all of their own capsules. Does anyone have experience and know if the threading of the Scx1 Capsules is the same as Orginal MBHO? 

Let us know what you find out, I own an Audix myself

13 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

I can also see how a swivel joint can be a really nice space saver when booming a car for example. 

That is exactly what I've been doing:

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Let us know what you find out, I own an Audix myself

That is exactly what I've been doing:

Sure, I will let you know! I meant for booming on a pole, so this was interesting too. I am curious, how does your mics handle sunvisor without suspension if the car is driving? (Maybe it's not) I felt that the SCX1 (HC much more than C) is really prone to rumble, so a HP and proper suspension is needed. 

I purchased the SCX1-HC with the intent of it being my main interiors mic, but was disappointed every time I put it up next to an Oktava MK-012. Worse rejection, worse tone quality, worse off-axis response than the much-cheaper Oktavas. But since I have both, I'll check tomorrow to see if the capsule threading is the same. 

12 hours ago, nathanalef said:

I purchased the SCX1-HC with the intent of it being my main interiors mic, but was disappointed every time I put it up next to an Oktava MK-012. Worse rejection, worse tone quality, worse off-axis response than the much-cheaper Oktavas. But since I have both, I'll check tomorrow to see if the capsule threading is the same. 

I have both also, I consider the Audix at least a tier or two above the Oktava.

For production sound on a boom, the Oktava is almost unusable.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:15 PM, Kisaha said:

I have both also, I consider the Audix at least a tier or two above the Oktava.

For production sound on a boom, the Oktava is almost unusable.

Interesting! Because of handling noise? What mount are you using? I've got the Rycote INV-whatever number it is for SDC mics. One of my pair of Oktavas started knocking a little bit if you rotated it just so... but I switched to the other one in my pair and haven't had a problem since. You certainly get what you pay for, but it's perfectly useable as a backup or a starter mic. I used them on projects I have no business using them on (or maybe even working to begin with)! No complaints from producers or post.

But every time I put up the SCX1 it just sounded wrong, especially in awful noisy/reflective interiors.