Nagra Seven, what's up with that?

sciproductions

2 hours ago, sciproductions said:

I was just wondering if anyone was incorporating a Nagra Seven into their cart.

On the Nagra website I saw this picture Nagra Seven On Cart , and I guess I was just curious why this recorder would be specifically used on a cart.

I also was curious if anyone uses it in their bag in the field?

Possibilities:

Playback.

AES42 mic powering.

Recording the treated sound of the DNS2 (adjacent in picture).

(or with the extra modules installed):

Editing.

VOIP.

Wifi/Ethernet connection for quickly sending files elsewhere.

If you only need to record 2 tracks (which the PSM pictured clearly doesn't as he's got 2 x SD Pix recorders) I'd imagine the Nagra 7 is a lovely machine to use.

I use my Nagra Seven in the field often, although not on my cart. I use it for documentaries, insert car work, on buses, trains and other tight quarters requiring portability. If you don’t need multiple tracks, where a simple two track mix will suffice, the  Nagra works very well for my purposes. Brilliant preamps, easy to use, very reliable. Not for every scenario, but a very nice tool to have at my disposal.

Moe

3 hours ago, Moesound said:

I use my Nagra Seven in the field often, although not on my cart. I use it for documentaries, insert car work, on buses, trains and other tight quarters requiring portability. If you don’t need multiple tracks, where a simple two track mix will suffice, the  Nagra works very well for my purposes. Brilliant preamps, easy to use, very reliable. Not for every scenario, but a very nice tool to have at my disposal.

Moe

Hi Moe,

Glad to hear someone hear is using it.

Was the main thing driving your use of the Nagra Seven in regards to the sound of the preamps.

For example does a recorder like the 702T not suffice (to you) in that regards?

3 hours ago, sciproductions said:

Hi Moe,

Glad to hear someone hear is using it.

Was the main thing driving your use of the Nagra Seven in regards to the sound of the preamps.

For example does a recorder like the 702T not suffice (to you) in that regards?

Hello Sciproductions,

I wouldn’t go so far as to say that the preamps were the main factor in my buying the Nagra Seven, but it’s certainly a consideration for me. They sound great to my ears. But that sort of opinion is simply that: an opinion. It’s also simple to use in the field, has a well laid out menu, features a touch screen (which is not everyone’s cup of tea, but one that I value highly) and after several years of use has proven itself to be remarkably reliable, in all conditions. It also makes me happy using it, as esoteric as that may seem.

Having said all that, the 702T (since you brought it up) is a fine machine built by a great company. I owned and used one many times with good results. The two recorders are both worthy machines that any mixer would be lucky to use.

I’m happy with my Nagra, but clearly it’s a specific use tool that probably has more usefulness in live music that in our film world. However, I have no regrets.

Regards,

Moe

About four or five years ago Nagra loaned me a Nagra Seven recorder so I might work up a review. At that point in my career I wasn't doing a lot of actual recording so I arranged for Brendan Beebe to borrow it and report on his experiences. We compared impressions and I wrote up a brief evaluation for the 695 Quarterly (now the Production Sound and Video Magazine).

The review is available here:

https://magazine.local695.com/magazine/summer-2014/the-nagra-seven

As to the cost, well it's hard to justify the cost of many premium products based just on a review of specifications. Ask any Leica enthusiast. 

David

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Nagra Seven costs nearly four grand, I'm sure for most of us we can find a better purchase for that much money?

As they say "you get what you pay for". It's not always about track count and smart phone apps. This machine does things no others currently do. Although I would be very interested in a multi track Nagra (8?) in a similar form to the 7 (Nagra 6 too big for the bag now but is a really nice recorder) it is a crowded market already and the 7 fits a niche where owners (mostly radio stations?) and owner operators probably wont need to invest in lots of radio channels for its intended use. By the time you've got a sound cart like the 1 pictured the cost of the individual items is probably less of a concern than having a specific functionality.