Arri Alexa LF

Starting a project using Alexa LF cameras. Anything unusual about the Time Code connection, or is it just the usual 5 pin Lemo?

I looked at Arri's website and only came across the usual sales info, but nothing specific about TC connections.

Best 

Jim Rillie

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, Jim Rillie said:

and no audio needed

I always feel it is a bit risky and tempting fate to rely purely upon only timecode without at least a small mini scratch mic? 

What happens if one day (or week! If they're not doing dailies to check) the timecode fails, be it due to human error, gremlins, or a buggy camera. (I'd hate to be the first person to discover a hidden timecode bug on a brand new camera that had just been released!)

As you'll then be putting the assistant editor through torture as they line up the clips one by one. 

58 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

As you'll then be putting the assistant editor through torture

To add:

(Since I've encountered this torture...)

As a second backup, re-route TC to a spare audio input.

Then the third backup, make sure all devices have their time / date set correctly.

If everything fails, you have at least file creation time / date that brings you in sync approximately just one or two seconds off.

(If the file format does not contain a record timestamp internally, make sure you offload retaining the OS time/date!)

11 hours ago, Bouke said:

To add:

(Since I've encountered this torture...)

As a second backup, re-route TC to a spare audio input.

Then the third backup, make sure all devices have their time / date set correctly.

If everything fails, you have at least file creation time / date that brings you in sync approximately just one or two seconds off.

(If the file format does not contain a record timestamp internally, make sure you offload retaining the OS time/date!)

That is a really smart idea!!

As I often struggle to get a second back up option on an Arri. Because a set up to feed line level from a scratch mic many operators tend to find too bulky. A wireless camera hop is slimmer, but unfortunately many camera teams don’t even like that?!?!? But a Tentacle set to line level would be a perfect little back up set up as Aux TC

1 hour ago, burton said:

I just saw that it does have an Audio In - but it's a LEMO 6pin balanced stereo line...?

Anyone familiar with that input? This is the first time I've heard of it. 

I think you are confusing the today announced MINI LF with the here discussed "BIG" LF.

12 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Yes, the full size Alexa LF has a 5-pin XLR input -- same as the previous Alexas.  As stated, the Alexa Mini LF is a 6-pin Lemo. 

ARRI is attempting to compete with RED for the most non-standard audio inputs.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidCMPeterson/photos/a.277946442237979/2435649033134365/