Parts Boxes

Arnold F.

Those clamshell cases are nice, the separate compartments are great too, though I find that they are a little overkill especially for mics that dont have many accessories.  Space is at a premium in an eng bag..

I recently found these at the REI store:

seeitsafe.jpg

More expensive (about$7), but waterproof.  Made out of hard clear plastic with a rubber seal and locking clamp.. designed to hold an id badge/money clip etc and keep it dry.

It's just wide enough to slide a rolled up lav into, accessories can be dropped in as well.  Doesn't fit a TA5f the best but it will fit.  They also had a double wide version that could store several mics.  I preferred to go with one case per mic. 

I have a thing for Altoids so I buy them in a 12 pack at Costco. The empty tins work great for all kinds of things especially lav mics.

Eric

I've repurposed the same tins to build a small circuit inside, usually with leads coming off both sides. I think it was a DC-DC converter to run a small monitor. I've also used them as a place to put Topstick and moleskin as well. I don't go through as many Altoids since I got off the ciggies, but the tins just keep going and going.

Best regards,

Jim

edit because I'm a piss-poor typist, BTW.

What's wrong with Walmart?

I make an exception for people with 5 or more children who live a mile from their nearest Walmart.  So other than for you, Ken, EVERYTHING is wrong with Walmart.

Poor employee wages and benefits for a company that is responsible for nearly 10% of ALL retail sales in the United States.  Sam Walton, were he still alive, would be worth about what Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are combined, eclipsing the rest of the worlds wealthiest billionaires.  The family are the 11th thru 14th richest people in the world at about $18B each.  With all this wealth and success, the company manages to slaughter competition who might attempt to offer a living wage or benefits to their employees.  Walmart employees don't make enough to pay for the health insurance offered by the company.  Employees are typically on government assistance, at our expense.  Perhaps the Waltons could cough up some health care or perhaps a living wage for their company's employees in exchange for a couple of their billions.  And that's just in this country!

Walmart will also force foreign manufacturers to produce product at such low cost, that they are forced into utilizing business and labour practices that would never be tolerated domestically.  They have decimated towns and villages globally when manufacturers are forced to abandon their factories for cheaper areas in order to shave the pennies Walmart demands.

Walmart may provide a place for the displaced and underpaid working class to shop for necessities at a low price.  But it is the business practices of Walmart that have driven jobs from the United States, driven down wages, virtually eliminated employee health care, and forced other companies to do the same in order to remain competitive, which have made it necessary for these folks to shop at Walmart.  Good job to Walmart for helping create poverty and perpetuating its own existence!

Phew....that was fun....and there's so much more!!

Wow ! Robert, your knowledge of the walmart situation has been very enlightening, thanks.

Getting back to the original topic for a moment, I just wanted to share with all, what I use

for small mic. parts & lavaliere's etc. I got these boxes at Micheals, a craft store , they are

meant for bead work ( which i stopped doing when the sex pistols came on the scene ).

The 3 hour breathsaver boxes work best for me as they have only one lid/opening

and taste much better than altoids IMHO. Just trim out with an x-acto knife.

KKS

post-272-130815080752_thumb.jpg

post-272-130815080758_thumb.jpg

post-272-130815080762_thumb.jpg

That's bedazzling....;-)

Wow ! Robert, your knowledge of the walmart situation has been very enlightening, thanks.

Getting back to the original topic for a moment, I just wanted to share with all, what I use

for small mic. parts & lavaliere's etc. I got these boxes at Micheals, a craft store , they are

meant for bead work ( which i stopped doing when the sex pistols came on the scene ).

The 3 hour breathsaver boxes work best for me as they have only one lid/opening

and taste much better than altoids IMHO. Just trim out with an x-acto knife.

KKS

they are

Kevin, thanks for the LOL.

CrewC

Reminds me of when our 1st AD on some project asked us to turn off our cell phones and pagers.  I told him not to worry, most of us turned off our pagers in 1997.  A good laugh was had by all.

This also reminds me to stop the bead work, and use all those handy containers for something else.  Thanks, Kevin.

Robert

Guest Ken Mantlo

I do not mean to hijack this thread but since it was brought up here I will address it here.

If Walmart is such a horrible place to work at, then why do people work there?

Now before you say, "because they have driven all the other stores out of town and now this is the only place to work", I say to you, there are a couple hundred thousand people in my little valley that don't work at Walmart and millions upon millions nationwide that don't work there either.   Only people that are working their way up the job scale ladder of life, those on their way down or those that have no desire to get a skill that will move them past where they sit, work at Walmart.  I cast no judgment on them as they are where they want to be right now.  Walmart fills a need.  Would you rather these people didn't have a job all together?

Now as to the low prices, that is capitalism.  Someone is making a better mousetrap cheaper.  You complain that it drives business's out of town in search of cheaper places to manufacture, yet you enjoy the fact that TV's are such a low price that you no longer have to hire a TV repairman.  You just throw it away and buy a better one, cheaper then the last one.  You may say, "I don't buy my TV's from Walmart so my hands have no blood on them",  but because Walmart sells them cheaper means that other stores have to sell them cheaper to be competitive.  You do benefit from Walmart's low prices, even though you don't shop there.  It's a weird symbiotic relationship.  Because of this we are now a society where almost all consumer goods are cheap and disposable. 

As far as foreign manufacturing, years ago, in the 80's I believe, Nike was making their shoes in towns in bum-phuque Asia and paying men, women and children something like a dollar a day to work in their factories.  People in the U.S were all up in arms because of this low wage, but you didn't hear the people of those villages complain.  Why?  Because they had nothing before.  A dollar a day was more then what they were making previously.  Now they could feed their families, better themselves.

Unfortunately, this anti-Walmart rhetoric reminds me of the quote from "A Few Good Men";

"You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall...  I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it...

This quote doesn't completely apply but I'm sure you get the gist - You see evil in the thing you benefit from.

I'm sure this post is pissing you off but it's true!  You benefit from Walmart even though you don't shop there.  People work there because they want to.  How do I know that?  Because this isn't Communist Russia.  No one is forcing them to work there, the employer and employee have entered into an agreement that BOTH find beneficial.  If the employee feels that he's being taken advantage of, he can improve his life if we wants to by getting a better education, move to a place to search for a better paying job.

We are all a sum of our choices.  Good or bad.  We work were we work because of past and present choices that we've made.  Good or bad.  No one but the individual is to blame.

You complain that the owners of  Walmart have so much money, they can afford to pay more.  You might be right.  But who put more at risk?  As a mixer, you make 2 to 3 times more (including box rental) then your cableman does.  Do you share your good fortune with them?  Were is the line of too much money?  Who will be the judge of this?

Although it seems that I'm defending Walmart, I'm not.  I'm defending the RIGHT of Walmart to exist.

I know this will not be a popular post but I can't let something be called evil when it isn't the case.  Many good things come because Walmart exists, and, although the owners decide to keep more of the profit instead of trickling it down, it is an agreed upon arrangement by everyone involved.

I am a proponent of capitalism.  Other systems have failed miserably.

Let the flaming begin.

There is a nice TV repairman here in Santa Clarita who would love people to fix their TVs rather than throw them away and buy a new one.  As a matter of fact, so would the environment.  I fix whatever I can, supplying a job for someone here and sparing the landfill my waste.  Unfortunately, things are now being made sealed with no serviceable parts.  The world needs its ditch diggers is a fine example, Ken, but don't these people deserve to have at least some standard of living?

The "lucky" people in these foreign countries usually come to the factories from villages, leaving their families behind.  They are offered a place to live, food to eat (all of which must be paid back from their almost non-existent wage), and terrible working conditions.  But this is their only choice.  Sounds great to me!  Where can I sign up?

Guest Ken Mantlo

There is a nice TV repairman here in Santa Clarita who would love people to fix their TVs rather than throw them away and buy a new one.  As a matter of fact, so would the environment.  I fix whatever I can, supplying a job for someone here and sparing the landfill my waste.  Unfortunately, things are now being made sealed with no serviceable parts.  The world needs its ditch diggers is a fine example, Ken, but don't these people deserve to have at least some standard of living?

The "lucky" people in these foreign countries usually come to the factories from villages, leaving their families behind.  They are offered a place to live, food to eat (all of which must be paid back from their almost non-existent wage), and terrible working conditions.  But this is their only choice.  Sounds great to me!  Where can I sign up?

You say this as if they have no choice in the matter.  There is always a choice.  No one is forcing them to work there.  They work there because they WANT to.  What if that factory wasn't there? Where would they get their money? 

Standard of living?  What does that mean?  Sure, I want a great standard of living without preparing for it.  I could of saved a lot of time and money by not going to college*.  Boy, do I feel dumb, I didn't realize that it was owed to me.

By the way, have you priced how much it costs to have someone dig a ditch?  It ain't cheap.

*(Turns out that a college degree isn't needed to get a job on movie sets.  I could of jumped started my career a lot quicker if I tried to blow everyone from craftservice on up.)

Robert - I'm not trying to pick a fight.  I know you to be a great guy and the last thing I want is to create bad feelings.  I hope you aren't taking what I say as a personal attack.  I'm just trying to present the other side of the coin.

To all the smart Alec's - No, I didn't get to be a mixer by blowing producer's.  I did it the good ol' fashion way...I kissed their asses.