Internal or external cable on an 18' Boompole

pillepalle

Hello,

I have a 12' Boompole that I mainly use for indoor work. But in the future I would like to get a longer pole (about 18') for outdoor work. As a boom operator on a beginner level I wonder if it would be easier to work with a pole with internal cabeling, or is it no big difference? I mean, handeling an external  cable on a longer boom might be trickier than on a short one. Are there good ways or tricks to fix an external cable (clamps, or velcro straps)? What's faster to use? Thanks in advantage

pillepalle

For me the right way was the way whoever was handling the pole wanted.  When it was me (working alone usually) I mostly used internals, since I was usually wearing a recorder in a harness at the same time.  My long-time boom ops (who were not wearing any gear beyond a little monitor box) mostly (but not always) went with external cables--they felt they were quieter and developed fewer issues with repeated extension and retraction of a long pole.   But it really is a personal thing, what that boomist is used to etc. (so I had both types with us).

Yes, if most boom ops use external cables maybe that's the way to go. At least I'll learn how to handle it :) And in case the cable get's me often in trouble I still have the opportunity to cable the pole by myself. So I think I will look for an uncabled boompole. 

Greetings

I for one have never used an ext. cabled pole, nor has my boom ops... 

I would much rather have the cable inside... Never had problems with noise..

The ONLY way I would use the external is if my internal broke and I had no other pole..

In the end, to each their own.

99% of the time we're wireless anyhow, so no cable is actually best.  Shorty to the transmitter..

I Don't know how many people actually use them, but for a lot of non narrative work I use a straight cabled boom. Essentially it's just a non coiled XLR running from the tip to a large cable exit at the bottom. It can be a little messy when you're on a shorter pole, but I see it as being sort of a middle ground between an un cabled pole and an internally coil cabled pole. It's more economical, requires less maintenance, and allows me to do things like run a stereo cable through the boom.

I never got comfortable with an external cable.  It was always akward and more difficult to extend/collapse the pole.  It saves weight though which is nice.

For all the booming I do I use an internally cabled pole, but I also have an uncabled longer pole for wireless work.  This is my favorite setup.

External cable hands down for me, specially in long poles. You need to get a hang of it, and learn to manage your cable. But once you do it is way better in my opinion. You are much quieter because you can hold the cable tought with your hand. Also you are not forced to have the cable exit at the back of the pole. And if you are going wireless you wont have any cables to deal with inside your boom. Its also lighter, cheaper, and more reliable. 

forget all about straps, velcro or clamps just wrap your cable around the pole avoiding twisting the cable so it stays neat. 

It's so interesting to read threads like this... external/internal seems to be a highly personal choice, also heavily influenced by location. I can't think of any boom ops I know in LA defaulting to externally cabled poles, even at longer extensions. Seems to be more common on the East Coast and overseas, but I don't have much experience outside of LA. 

I played with an externally cabled pole when I was getting started... I didn't have the money for a good internally cabled K-tek so it was partially out of necessity and partially curiosity. The external thing is a huge learning curve, and I didn't get far enough into that world to really see any benefits. Either way, if you go the external route, I wouldn't do it on the gig until you have a lot of practice. Mainly because it's way easier to look like an idiot. Haha

6 hours ago, AnuarYahya said:

External cable hands down for me, specially in long poles. You need to get a hang of it, and learn to manage your cable. But once you do it is way better in my opinion. You are much quieter because you can hold the cable tought with your hand. Also you are not forced to have the cable exit at the back of the pole. And if you are going wireless you wont have any cables to deal with inside your boom. Its also lighter, cheaper, and more reliable. 

forget all about straps, velcro or clamps just wrap your cable around the pole avoiding twisting the cable so it stays neat. 

100% agree.

Also, great advice in the end.

Usually 3-5 "points of contact" are enough. I see all the newbies wrap the cable unlimited times around the pole which puts too much pressure on the pole/cable and can not adjust pole's length if you want (you have to unwrap the whole cable for even the slightest change).