DPA 4018 question

yizhye20

Hello everyone, I got some questions about the DPA 4018 microphone.  By wrap up my final quarter in school. There is a documentary class and I decided to cooperate with a local singer by planning to shoot mainly indoor and live performances. I come up a mind to see If I can find a bit high-end vocal mic for great sound quality. I saw the 4018  vocal version is the capsule embedded under a mic grid. 

So my question would be that passable for me to use that capsule with an MMP preamp to turn it into an indoor mic. I saw some different when they name it like 4018V 4018VL and 4018ES. But not sure if I can put a 4018VL as an indoor super cardioid mic or it will not be sensitive enough.  Thanks

I would get in touch with your local DPA dealer, but it looks like you could achieve what you’re asking about. You would need a dedicated preamp for film/tv use, keep in mind. I would also maybe buy the pieces individually for maximum flexibility. The 4018V has a vocal performance oriented boost, which is probably not desirable as a fixed boost for film production, especially when preamps like the MMP-B can achieve this boost anyway.

The 4018VL looks like what you want, but I am not clear if that SKU is just packaging the normal 4018 capsule with the handheld body and windscreen, or if in fact that capsule has a different response than the standard 4018 capsule. I say this because you can buy SKUs that are just pre packaged combinations of capsule and preamp, which is exactly what the 4018ES is - a 4018 capsule with an ES preamp.