AVID's Rip off scheme.

jgbsound

So apparently my system's upgrade and support renewal didn't go through in September. Never received an email or anything about the card being declined.  I'm just now finding out about this 6 months later when I opened an old mix project to re-mix it into another format and the pro-expander/compressor wouldn't load..

Now AVID says because I didn't update in a timely fashion (wihtin 30 days) I have to pay the full price for reinstatement (an extra 500 bucks).  You'd think they'd have some customer loyalty since I've been using their software since PT7.  Beware corporate greed. Disgraceful.  

27 minutes ago, TVPostSound said:

Thanks for reminding me, you're right no warning, mine expires next week.

If you're interested:

I have extra Pro expander, Pro Limiter, Pro Compressor, Revibe, Reverb One, and Space for sale.

Thanks for the offer.  I'm going to wait and see what they do.  I sent an email in protest and we'll see if I get any traction before going full-nuclear on them.

Sadly most software is going subscription. Although I think Avid has been a bit...sluggish...of late, there have been some cool updates. Track folders, Atmos, etc There is supposed to be a release this month that work with Mojave.

I'm trying to become a Reaper-capable person for pinch moments in the field. But oh boy, it is a learning curve. I'd rather pay the $400/yr to keep my PT Ultimate rocking.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, Brian Liston said:

Sadly most software is going subscription. Although I think Avid has been a bit...sluggish...of late, there have been some cool updates. Track folders, Atmos, etc There is supposed to be a release this month that work with Mojave.

I'm trying to become a Reaper-capable person for pinch moments in the field. But oh boy, it is a learning curve. I'd rather pay the $400/yr to keep my PT Ultimate rocking.

Where did you find track folders in PT?  I have seen lots of people ask for it, but no confirmation it's actually coming.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:57 PM, codyman said:

It's kind of a joke over there.  Also, what's up with them not evening "certifying" the latest Mac OS despite it having been out for over six months?  I thought this whole annual renewal $$$ was supposed to give us better support but nope!

Yes quite, with subscription where everyone just pays regardless, it simply removes the old incentive to release updates to bring in more revenue.
If you're getting the money anyway from subscription why make that extra effort.......
I saw this coming a long time ago, and hoped there might be some kind of user revolt as you can see why software companies love people paying them regardless of what effort is made.

So exactly as you point out, here we are, Mojave has been out for six months, and there's been no PT update to work with it, disgraceful......

On 3/21/2019 at 6:47 PM, Brian Liston said:

I found the learning curve for Reaper very easy, having used several DAWs incl PT for many years prior to starting.  I find it much more intuitive, at least for my brain, than PT.  In my case I had to learn Reaper under fire, so to speak, and found that the online community and tutorials were very helpful.

Good news!!!! After getting really indignant with the AVID rep and basically showing my complete displeasure (in what I could only describe as the equivalent of yelling via email), they've decided to allow me to reinstate for the lower "renewal" price  instead of having to pay full freight!   Crisis averted.  Persistence pays off! 

My suggestion, for anyone in a similar predicament is to stand your ground and perhaps the same will happen for you.  :-)

Never had any issues with Avid tbh. On top of that, if you work in post then you have to have PT Ultimate in order to be able to work seamlessly with the others. Send your sessions over, open anywhere etc. etc.

Of course they could and should do better, no doubt about that. More frequent bug fixes and updates/new features. Havings said that, a lot of features that people area asking, I don't really need because they are for music. And vice versa, features I would love to see, music people don't need. So I suppose Avid can't please everyone.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:55 PM, jgbsound said:

Good news!!!! After getting really indignant with the AVID rep and basically showing my complete displeasure (in what I could only describe as the equivalent of yelling via email), they've decided to allow me to reinstate for the lower "renewal" price  instead of having to pay full freight!   Crisis averted.  Persistence pays off! 

My suggestion, for anyone in a similar predicament is to stand your ground and perhaps the same will happen for you.  🙂

Nice!!