Mrs Maisel

I can not imagine a distorted audio take will make the/a final cut, unless it is some war documentary kinda thing. I just checked the IMDB page of the series, this is not some student project. My guess that if indeed you heard some distortion, it is a process mistake/error somewhere in the delivery chain. 

On 3/27/2019 at 3:43 PM, Prahlad Strickland said:

Just watching Mrs Maisel on amazon...

In the day of Zaxcom and Neverclip,  it's surprising to still hear the old distorted voice tracks.   Zaxcom TX 👌I could see a day where productions require Zaxcom unless other manufacturers follow suite with Dual converters. 

I too don't recall any distortion popping out at me. Maybe I missed it. What episode, scene, etc?

Maybe the problem was downstream with your service provider?

1 minute ago, Jim Feeley said:

Maybe the problem was downstream with your service provider?

I think Jim's suggestion is on point.

I haven't been watching Mrs. Maisel but I've been seeing Mathew Price's name on credits for some time now. Among other things, he was responsible for the sound on The Sopranos. I think he did the whole run of the show.

Moreover, I've been noticing audio problems on other shows that seem to come and go depending on what time one views the episode. I had considerable difficulty with some scenes in the recent True Detective episodes, especially with scenes featuring Mahershala Ali as an old man. Then I rewatched the show later viewing the east coast feed and found the sound much cleaner.

David

Sorry for the late reply.  I'll get timecodes for it,  

I notice it a lot in movies, I have for years.   It's a pet peeve of mine.  

I'm watching Maisel on Amazon with very high-speed internet, I'm quite certain it's not a streaming thing, it's very specifically the sound of a TX overmodulating. 

Great show,  doesn't matter in the end.  But again, I love my zaxcom for this reason,  if the TX isn't set right across most other brands,  your not able to ride your faders and fix the problem because it's happening before it hits the desk (preaching to the choir I know)

Ahem. I feel like should pipe in here. I’m not sure what you’re listening to but I can pretty much guarantee there is no distortion in the tracks that we delivered. Believe me, there is no way that the final mix would’ve gone out like that. I sat in Ron Bochar’s (our Re-recording Mixer) final mix at C5 a few times and I can reliably say that there were a lot of people in there with very good ears.

And, for the record, my wireless for S2 were my (I now call them vintage but have since gone to all Zaxcom for S3) Audio, Ltd. 2000s, which always sounded as good as they get. 

Just my 2 cents! I’m glad you all are watching. Season 3 will be even bigger. 

37 minutes ago, mprice said:

Ahem. I feel like should pipe in here. I’m not sure what you’re listening to but I can pretty much guarantee there is no distortion in the tracks that we delivered. Believe me, there is no way that the final mix would’ve gone out like that. I sat in Ron Bochar’s (our Re-recording Mixer) final mix at C5 a few times and I can reliably say that there were a lot of people in there with very good ears.

And, for the record, my wireless for S2 were my (I now call them vintage but have since gone to all Zaxcom for S3) Audio, Ltd. 2000s, which always sounded as good as they get. 

Just my 2 cents! I’m glad you all are watching. Season 3 will be even bigger. 

The show sounds great. Oppologies if I was to blunt.    Maybe it’s the online stream.   I’ll re watch the first couple episodes.   The show is great, and worthy of repeats.  

I’m listening on Dutch and Dutch 8c speakers.  Something wigged it out.   I notice on many productions.   

Just started watching this, great show and great sound! I'm watching on Amazon aswell at highest streaming quality, and I think I heard the distortion Prahlad is talking about a couple times.

One example is S01 EP03 at 11:31-11:38.

Every line of dialogue has some kind distortion in those few seconds. It seems to occure only at loud talking levels/screaming, so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the stream (unless it's mixed so hot, that the stream introduces clipping at some stage, but that again makes no sense, as there are louder elements).

It's not really bothering me to be honest and it kind of fits the time/aesthetics the show is going for.

1 hour ago, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

Just started watching this, great show and great sound! I'm watching on Amazon aswell at highest streaming quality, and I think I heard the distortion Prahlad is talking about a couple times.

One example is S01 EP03 at 11:31-11:38.

Every line of dialogue has some kind distortion in those few seconds. It seems to occure only at loud talking levels/screaming, so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the stream (unless it's mixed so hot, that the stream introduces clipping at some stage, but that again makes no sense, as there are louder elements).

It's not really bothering me to be honest and it kind of fits the time/aesthetics the show is going for.

Yeh.  My suspicion is in post.  For example. The waves la2a plugin.  If -20 isn’t observed it will clip as per analoge modeling.  It’s easy to miss.   

Either way superb production and sound.  

Does this this show play on tv?   

On instagram.  If u post a stereo mix from an iPhone it will post in mono. And in the process produce distortion.    Post the same clip with an android and it will post in stereo and therefore no more distortion. 

Could be a bug with amazons streaming serviee.  

Im glad I’m only on season 1.  This show is gold and can’t wait to watch the rest.  

And yes. I don’t envy the boom op on this show with all those one shot steadicam mastery.  Very tricky sound production. 

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

LA2A plug in?  And you think the RSMs and producers of a show on that level would let audible clipping slide?  There are a whole lot of possibly questionable layers of technology between the dubstage and your TV.  Maybe suspect them.

no... as I said it was just an example of the types of things that can happen and do happen in post. On a home TV set, this kind of distortion and clipping is probably never going to be noticeable.   But that's not the point.  Viewers could also care less if a show was shot on Arri or Red, Cooke or Leica or has a few words distorted or bad ADR with mismatched room verb, etc,    it doesn't mean those of us working on our side of the game don't notice or have an opinion of what we see and hear.  

As far as RSM's and producers,  as I said,  I hear this a lot on many big productions,  (game of thrones, amongst many others),  it's not a big deal, nor noticeable to most people.   Probably many times not the fault of the sound mixer on set, because they have no control for the most part what happens in post.  Just saying it surprises me.    Kind of a pet peeve, like hearing lawn mowers when I'm not working,  just sensitive to it.

End of the day,  the show sounds great,  and I'm watching episodes right now 👌

34 minutes ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

no... as I said...

Yeah yeah...

I believe you disqualified yourself by now with why "you think" what "went wrong" with this production. First you said you're so sure it was the wireless mic packs, and how happy you use Zaxcom bla, bla, and now it's the post department? 

39 minutes ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

,  as I said,  I hear this a lot on many big productions

Check your setup man, before accusing the Netflix/Amazon/Cable guy next.

12 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

Yeah yeah...

I believe you disqualified yourself by now with why "you think" what "went wrong" with this production. First you said you're so sure it was the wireless mic packs, and how happy you use Zaxcom bla, bla, and now it's the post department? 

Check your setup man, before accusing the Netflix/Amazon/Cable guy next.

I've remained friendly throughout this discussion.   I never said I was so sure of anything. Your right, I Will double check my setup,  it's probably my speakers 👌