ARRI ALEXA MINI LF camera

soundtrane

1 hour ago, soundtrane said:

1x LEMO 6pin balanced stereo line in with 12V power output

So one could explain me the benefit of 12v power for Line level sources? are there like mic level converters/preamps out there which can deal with that? 

Sounds useful to power something like a Mini Papi if you're running a camera mic on board. But if it's only 6 pins, that means audio and power are sharing a ground which makes me uneasy. If it's the mini Lemo size like currently used on the Alexa Mini, that makes me doubly uneasy having 12 volts that close to audio pins.

10 hours ago, Constantin said:

No I know. I was referring to Patrick‘s comment about his worry with power running close to audio. 

Phantom power is cleverly designed to be safely transported along the audio signal path. (Although it wouldn't be the brightest idea to carry phantom power through that mini Lemo.) But if 12v power accidentally shorts to one of the other pins, bad things WILL happen.

With the Mini series, Arri is obviously trying to beat RED for the title of "weirdest, most changeable, and most annoying audio inputs" ever found on a camera.

At least the LF mini has the input in the back side rather than in the front face where an audio plugin interferes with the lens mounts...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

5 hours ago, Freeheel said:

At least the LF mini has the input in the back side rather than in the front face where an audio plugin interferes with the lens mounts...

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

You are speaking about the 8 years old model I suppose. Weapon have the audio plug on the back side since 4 years.

I don't have any first hand info on the camera but read quite a bit about it and know the old mini rather well, so here how I understand things relevant to audio:

- it has 2 built-in mics for scratch audio (strange that they don't call it a stereo mic, maybe they have front-back placement or something?)

- it has a sync input for black burst and tri-level sync.

- improved cooling with larger fans to keep the camera quiet

- the headphone out is on the EVF-2, which is a new model with new connector (and other improvements) and will not be backwards compatible.

- the next Alexa Mini S35 models will include some of the LF changes, like the new view finder (probably also the audio in and scratch mics, but that's a wild guess on my side)

for those interested, the most detailed report I found is on fdtimes:

https://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/93FDTimes6.0-ARRI-ALEXA-Mini-LF.pdf

also interesting that they openly mention they are working on a 4K S35 Alexa model.

chris

18 hours ago, chrismedr said:

also interesting that they openly mention they are working on a 4K S35 Alexa model.

Yeah it is curious, and that the release date is so soon (next year!), as I bet many people would prefer a 4K S35 Arri over an LF one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2019 at 5:59 PM, Patrick Tresch said:

You are speaking about the 8 years old model I suppose. Weapon have the audio plug on the back side since 4 years.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:29 PM, Freeheel said:

With the Mini series, Arri is obviously trying to beat RED for the title of "weirdest, most changeable, and most annoying audio inputs" ever found on a camera.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Patrick, I believe Brent was comparing one model of Arri with another model from Arri. I don't think that was a Red Weapon comment, but Brent can clarify.

Thanks, Martin

• 7 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 3:46 AM, Mike Matthews said:

Just ordered some FGG.0B.306.CLAD52 connectors, time to make some new cables.

9E8A7A07-0528-48A4-9D99-A5F51C4BD48D.jpeg

Hi guys! I've just got myself a proper 6 pin lemo with flying leads and my question is where to solder a 12v cable?
I want to solder a locking minijack connector and I'm kinda confused with this new 12v option

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 11:54 AM, igladkiy said:

Hi guys! I've just got myself a proper 6 pin lemo with flying leads and my question is where to solder a 12v cable?
I want to solder a locking minijack connector and I'm kinda confused with this new 12v option

Uhm. Get a multimeter. Identify how they soldered the lemo side. Connect to 1 and 6.

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2019 at 1:46 AM, Mike Matthews said:

Just ordered some FGG.0B.306.CLAD52 connectors, time to make some new cables.

9E8A7A07-0528-48A4-9D99-A5F51C4BD48D.jpeg

Just for correct info, as I made the mistake of ordering what Mike specifies, the FGG.0B.306.CLAD52 will not fit, the socket requires 2 keys (notches) as the FGG only has 1 key... the FGA version looks like it will fit, but check specs first

• 8 months later...

Hi, I've just bought a 6 pin lemo cable audio input cable (K2.0023988) for the Alexa Mini LF that is un-terminated and need to solder on a 5 pin XLR. I'm confused that there is both a ground wire (black) that is wired to pin 1 of the lemo and a shield that's connected to the body of the lemo.

Please can anyone let me know which wires I connect to pin 1 of the XLR? Do I just connect the shield to pin 1 and discard the black ground wire? Or connect both the ground and the shield to pin 1?

Regards,

Ian