SD 633 Noise on Record Tracks Only

PTA

Hi everyone!

So I own a 633 that has been solid for many years, no issues, and I just was randomly scrubbing some interview files and noticed there was about a 30-60 second section that has an intermittent digital blip at a very precise rate, audio dropouts, and then extremely loud static noise (at 0dB). Here are the notes:

1. This was across all tracks equally
  2. Only happened on the WAV files on the CF
  3. Didn't happen on the MP3 files on the SD card
  4. Didn't happen the rest of the 2 day shoot or the rest of the files before or after the incident
  5. Wasn't audible or visible while recording
  6. both CF and SD are on approved media list
  7. On version 4.50, might upgrade to 4.60 now though.

Happy to provide more info that I missed. I've read about noise being on all output tracks, but mine is the opposite, only on the cards, never heard it while recording. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful! Marked the card for now and won't use it.

Not too old, San Disk Extreme 64 GB, 120mb/sec, UDMA 7. I'm hoping that is it and not my machine, but I'm used to hearing that bad cards usually result in a corrupted file in general, not noise on a track. But I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

Hi Palmer,   the static noise on the file that you describe, is similar to what happened to my 633 when it was very new.  Occasional random white noise spikes simultaneously across all channels of the audio files, with no indication while monitoring the original recording.  In my case it showed up on both the SD and CF cards, which were both recording 48k 24bit.

SD said it was an intermittent problem in the main digital bus and quickly replaced my entire mixer with a new one. (it was under warranty at the time)

Terrifying problem- I'm glad I've never seen it again on my newer 633.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

53 minutes ago, Freeheel said:

Hi Palmer,   the static noise on the file that you describe, is similar to what happened to my 633 when it was very new.  Occasional random white noise spikes simultaneously across all channels of the audio files, with no indication while monitoring the original recording.  In my case it showed up on both the SD and CF cards, which were both recording 48k 24bit.

SD said it was an intermittent problem in the main digital bus and quickly replaced my entire mixer with a new one. (it was under warranty at the time)

Terrifying problem- I'm glad I've never seen it again on my newer 633.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Interesting. How often did it happen if you remember?

In the first 2 weeks of my 633's first film shoot, there were 9 glitches- they all happened on day 4 of shooting and had pretty random groupings with

2 glitches on 1 take, 4 glitches on another, 1 glitch apiece on two more takes, and 3 glitches on another take.

I was using Lexar Professional 64 GB 400X speed SD cards and Sandisk Extreme CF cards- Both were approved media at the time.

Both types of media had the glitches in the exact same spot, when I put the files up on Protools....

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

2 hours ago, Freeheel said:

In the first 2 weeks of my 633's first film shoot, there were 9 glitches- they all happened on day 4 of shooting and had pretty random groupings with

2 glitches on 1 take, 4 glitches on another, 1 glitch apiece on two more takes, and 3 glitches on another take.

I was using Lexar Professional 64 GB 400X speed SD cards and Sandisk Extreme CF cards- Both were approved media at the time.

Both types of media had the glitches in the exact same spot, when I put the files up on Protools....

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

1 hour ago, Flipstar said:

I had this happen on an approved SD card. It was basically white noise at the end of the last file I recorded. Wasn't on the CF. I trashed the SD card thereafter. Haven't had a problem since.

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Did anyone who has had this issue done a secure wipe (i.e. write zeros over the entire card) of the card and then tried using it again. This will help identify any issues the card may have. Can do this within Apple's Disk Utility. No idea how to do on a PC.

Once done I would then format the card within the 633.

20 minutes ago, Glyn said:

Did anyone who has had this issue done a secure wipe (i.e. write zeros over the entire card) of the card and then tried using it again. This will help identify any issues the card may have. Can do this within Apple's Disk Utility. No idea how to do on a PC.

Once done I would then format the card within the 633.

Just curious how this would help identify any issues with the card?

3 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Any card I have that records in the manner the OP mentioned goes in the trash.  No 2nd chances with digital media.

I agree too. I don’t think I’ll be using this card anymore either way. Better safe than sorry. I’ll try the formatting thing just out of curiosity. The card formats properly in the 633 though. 

I remember that noise a few years ago. It was FW 2.11 or so.

It happened only when just one mix track (e.g. left only) was armed. I have been linking mix tracks ever since, makes more sense anyway, and never had that issue again.