Experience some history at NAB!

Jay Rose

A friend of mine is part of The Museum of Broadcast Technology, a large building in Rhode Island with two floors of audio and video equipment. He'll be at NAB with at least a couple of large pedestal cameras and who knows what else. It's in the main lobby of North Hall, right at the Taxi pickup area.

Worth looking at. And if you do please say hi to Paul Beck, one of my best buds from college (he went into video; I stayed with audio). You might also see Tom Sprague or Peter Fasciano; they're also good people and Boston-based engineers.

When I first walked into the museum, before it was open and the equipment was just sitting there, I told a friend "This is my whole career -- almost everything I'd ever worked with from the late 60s through mid 80s -- in one place!"

The museum's website hasn't been updated lately, but they've posted a video sample tour of just one of the pieces in their collection. The sample is about one particular VTR... but they also have audio stuff.

And here's a couple of snapshots from their pre-opening. They're rebuilding almost everything, and a lot of the gear now looks and acts brand-new.

wmbtAmpex300.jpg

wmbtVR1200.jpg

wmbtCams.jpg