"Boom Be Gone!" (Adobe's new Content Aware Fill Tool)

IronFilm

I hope in the future as the VFX tools we have at hand get better and as crew awareness increases then we'll be able to happily have booms in shot much more often for the sake of improved sound. This is already common place on many shoots such as "House of Cards", and advancing VFX technology will lead to an expansion of situations booms can be put into shot. 

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/adobe-releases-content-aware-fill-tool/

https://www.jldiaz.com.ar/lectura-en.php?name=houseOfCards

Steve Saada (boom op on House of Cards) talked about this on the Location Sound podcast: http://locationsoundpodcast.libsyn.com/033-steve-saada-boom-op-and-production-sound-mixer-based-out-of-the-baltimoredc-area-and-has-worked-on-house-of-cards-and-veep

If you haven't listened to the podcast, it's an interview show featuring relatively new folks as well as veterans. I usually find something interesting in every episode.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mike Westgate said:

Yes but:

With need for multi-camera shooting / multiple actors doing anything in mid to wide shots

the prevalence of lavs with continue to deny boom use except on closer shots!

mike

On House of Cards they did have two cameras. The booms were allowed to break into the frame, after a few seconds of plate. They painted the boom out later. 

As the show progressed, though, I could hear more and more use of lavs, so something must have changed 

3 hours ago, Mike Westgate said:

With need for multi-camera shooting / multiple actors doing anything in mid to wide shots

the prevalence of lavs with continue to deny boom use except on closer shots!

Hopefully together with a culture shift (I might be dreaming!) and Content Aware Fill then we might find more and more multi camera shoots allowing boom back into the frame as they know it will be able to be easily remove in a snap. 

21 hours ago, Constantin said:

On House of Cards they did have two cameras. The booms were allowed to break into the frame, after a few seconds of plate. They painted the boom out later. 

As the show progressed, though, I could hear more and more use of lavs, so something must have changed 

Yes and how often have you had a director tell you "Lavs on all actors"

and post saying we prefer the sound of a boom!

A real conflict when you are working with 2 cameras and only have one boom op!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

10 hours ago, Mike Westgate said:

Yes and how often have you had a director tell you "Lavs on all actors"

and post saying we prefer the sound of a boom!

A real conflict when you are working with 2 cameras and only have one boom op!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

Yeah, that’s true. The standard answer I get when I ask for a second boom-op: „Just Lav them all“. I‘m seriously worried they‘ll eliminate the boom altogether. 

So I‘m happy for any development that’ll help the boom. 

9 hours ago, Constantin said:

Yeah, that’s true. The standard answer I get when I ask for a second boom-op: „Just Lav them all“. I‘m seriously worried they‘ll eliminate the boom altogether. 

So I‘m happy for any development that’ll help the boom. 

Sure but viewing films and USA and UK quality shows, the future of the boom let alone 2 is not looking good.

As a guy who spent 3 years working as a studio boom operator in the UK I realise that it is a dying if not a lost art!

mike