GH5 misery / warning

Be aware;

GH5 has 8 frames of silence at the beginning of each clip. (At least in the 4K material I got.)

Now, Avid MC can read AUX 'sorta kinda' from these clips (it's hit and miss), but it will set the start TC to the first found LTC frame, thus being off by 8 frames.

Other applications (including mine) are smarter, but do warn your clients if they are on MC

(Not sure if that is a fixed offset though, but a quick and dirty fix is to (positive) offset the BWF's by 8 frames.)

How do I know?

<rant>

Got a job to convert 5 shooting days of GH5 material to something else, since MC cannot natively read these files.

No sweat, I did so.

Got complaints that BWF was out of sync.

When studying the files more closely, I gave the following recommendations:

• If you use a LTC generator / TXRx or alike, it works best if you actually plug it in and turn it on.
  • If you do #1 correctly for just a few clips, make sure your cam runs in Free run so the rest can be (educated) guessed.
  • If you insist on recording REC RUN, do NOT reset cams TC gen to a previous used TC
  • If you already have made viewing copies for the client, you best tell me that before I decide to create new, unique TC's
  • While you're at it, set the cam clock to (about) the same time as the sound recorder just in case.
  • And, if you offload, retain recording time / date as a final backup.
  • If you don't do anything of the above, be prepared to spend a couple of grant or accept that the camera sound WILL be used.

you all can guess what happened on these days....

</rant>

I did last year a feature film with 2x GH5 and Tentacles. And yup, the first few frames was silence. And timecode gets figured out from the first moment it gets heard but is applied to the start of the video clip. Not a big deal though as it was always a constant difference, so was an easy fix in post. 

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I did last year a feature film with 2x GH5 and Tentacles. And yup, the first few frames was silence. And timecode gets figured out from the first moment it gets heard but is applied to the start of the video clip. Not a big deal though as it was always a constant difference, so was an easy fix in post. 

Did you have this issue when using Tentacle Sync Studio or when using Avid to read the TC?

19 hours ago, Paul Katzman said:

this issue

The issue is with the cam, has nothing to do with the content of the sound.

Now, it 'should' not be an issue if not Avid misbehaves. And it 'should' also not be an issue, if the internal TC generator would be of better quality.

(The cam can slave, but it seems to drift after just 40 minutes, as I was told offlist. Hence AUX seemed a better option.)