633 and six wired lavs?

jwill

I own 2 633s. I have an upcoming job where there are going to be 6 people seated at a u shaped table all talking. It will be lit with a china lantern overhead and there will be a tiffany lamp suspended overhead. Booms are out, I have 6 wireless, 4 block 19 and 2 block 20,  but don't know if I want to run risk of intermod and dropouts. I am thinking of running 6 wired lavs, 3 into one 633 then out to the three line inputs of the other 633 and the other 3 into the mic inputs of the 2nd 633. I can send 1 & 2 out the XLR output and assign ch 3 to x1 out and into 2nd 633 ch 6. Any advice or thoughts on this topic?

Unless you are stationed far away, I can't imagine you'll have dropout problems with lectro transmitters here...I use the FreqFinder app to avoid intermod problems, and spread over two blocks you won't have problems.  Regardless, you can't go wrong with wired if they aren't up and down.  Your dual 633 plan will work, and Dugan will definitely help.  But to simplify, I would plan for all 6 on one 633 using wireless, but have the other 633 as backup in case you do have wireless problems.  

4 hours ago, mikewest said:

The only issue with hardwired lavs is the dynamic range can be wide and hard to handle.

At least with wireless the compressor/limiters give you better control.

mike

+1. 633 has no limiters on I/Ps 4-6. 

1 hour ago, daniel said:

+1. 633 has no limiters on I/Ps 4-6. 

well, since 4-6 are line level only, I'd look for a preamp that has limiters.

I really like hardwired lavs, only trouble is keeping everybody aware that they are hooked up (I already have problems with that with one lav, don't want to imagine six)

11 hours ago, chrismedr said:

well, since 4-6 are line level only, I'd look for a preamp that has limiters.

I really like hardwired lavs, only trouble is keeping everybody aware that they are hooked up (I already have problems with that with one lav, don't want to imagine six)

Wonder how much more it would have cost to put limiters into any of these: 

http://www.filmtontechnik.de/en/products-from-kortwich/vcp-preamp/

https://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/pinknoise-sound-devices-633-3-channel-expander.html

11 hours ago, daniel said:

A lot more is my guess. So much so that SD decided to only include three