scorpio!

daniel

This is really exciting for me.  I've been considering a change to my dante system, one of the main things I want is to reduce the size from a full 16 fader console + stage boxes.  Scorpio plus a controller will be drastically smaller & lighter, and much easier to fly with.  

Many design decisions in this recorder are right in line for me, TA4 for power instead of hirose, Icon M+ controller support, 32 Channels in a 688 form factor, redundant networking.  Well done Sound Devices.   

I also appreciate SD's humor in their faq's. 

2 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

This is really exciting for me.  I've been considering a change to my dante system, one of the main things I want is to reduce the size from a full 16 fader console + stage boxes.  Scorpio plus a controller will be drastically smaller & lighter, and much easier to fly with.  

Many design decisions in this recorder are right in line for me, TA4 for power instead of hirose, Icon M+ controller support, 32 Channels in a 688 form factor, redundant networking.  Well done Sound Devices.   

I also appreciate SD's humor in their faq's. 

Kelsey, you and I are on the same wavelength. Exactly what I was thinking!

I’ll put my guess in at 12k USD.

In any case, it’s nice to see some subtle innovations on board here such as the surpassing of the 4gb file size limit and the ability to arm and disarm tracks while recording. 

Somewhat interesting that it can’t be used as an interface but I don’t expect many users would benefit from this feature anyway.

Just now, Jose Frias said:

Kelsey, you and I are on the same wavelength. Exactly what I was thinking!

I have been toying with the idea of using an Icon M+ controller and Reaper for an in the box live mixing / recording rig to get rid of the console, but am always too worried about reliability for a live broadcast.  This plus a dante enabled effects server is much better.

Just now, Paul Isaacs said:

They are Scorpio preamps. Lowest noise we've made to date.

Omg thanks! I’m ordering one right now!

2 minutes ago, Patrick Southern said:

In any case, it’s nice to see some subtle innovations on board here such as the surpassing of the 4gb file size limit and the ability to arm and disarm tracks while recording. 

Somewhat interesting that it can’t be used as an interface but I don’t expect many users would benefit from this feature anyway.

Its on Sweetwater for $9K so I guess that’s the price.

best.

5 minutes ago, Wandering Ear said:

I have been toying with the idea of using an Icon M+ controller and Reaper for an in the box live mixing / recording rig to get rid of the console, but am always too worried about reliability for a live broadcast.  This plus a dante enabled effects server is much better.

Yes, agreed!

11 minutes ago, Patrick Southern said:

12k (usd) is the UK price (after vat).

Love that it supports the SL-6 out of the box giving 6 wireless inputs in a bag, centrally controllable. On the other hand, for giant shows one can also use an A-10 Racks and bring the audio in via DANTE. Looking forward to playing with it at NAB next week.

Now if I can just win enough money to pay for my NAB travel, and all the new gear I want to buy. 😄

I never liked the CL-12 anyway, and control for any (controller) is pretty cool - depending on the protocol used and if SD is going to allow control of as many functions as possible. 

But what will sway me mostly to buy one, will be the extra features. If it’s „just“ a recorder with many inputs, I‘m not really all that interested. I‘m very curious what functions they imported from the MixPre, like the overdub and re-record, AutoMix and more? 

That will make a big difference 

9 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I never liked the CL-12 anyway, and control for any (controller) is pretty cool - depending on the protocol used and if SD is going to allow control of as many functions as possible. 

But what will sway me mostly to buy one, will be the extra features. If it’s „just“ a recorder with many inputs, I‘m not really all that interested. I‘m very curious what functions they imported from the MixPre, like the overdub and re-record, AutoMix and more? 

That will make a big difference 

It's Mackie Control so a lot of different surfaces should work, but SD sounds like they don't want to provide technical support for other surfaces understandably.