scorpio!

daniel

11 hours ago, Jose Frias said:

Sorry Dan, you were one cent off so you didn't get the free one. The good news is that SD is offering a second sweepstake for the post Brexit UK price, which could be ### anything! But we have to guess the currency we'll be using by June/July too.

Paul..

Thanks for the great reply!  While your at it... Add that same Button delay on the Track Arm.. Are the user assignable buttons something you change on the Recorder or in a Config software for the Controller?

Oh and The specs on the controller say 5amp draw.. Is that constant?,main reason asking is say on car rig day with maybe no AC is available.. 

@Paul Isaacs, out of curiosity, have you measured the power draw on this device with everything engaged and running on full steam? All 48V on, SL6, etc?

Many of our Cart power solutions have limitations on power outputs, I’d like a rating to know which would be the best output to choose. On the PSC Zeus for example, there are 3A, 5A, and 8A outputs. 

Thanks for being an active part of this thread, Paul.

I am also interested in the decision to limit the AES inputs to just 4 channels. Is there a hardware or software limitation to using 2 more XLRs to provide a total of 8 AES3 ins?  I was hoping to read about Scorpio and see 8 AES inputs, whereupon the clouds would have parted with the angels singing to me that this is, indeed, my next recorder.  If you’re taking requests, that would be the one that would tip the scale for me.

As it happens, I just wrapped on a film that required 14-16 tracks recording all the time, for which I built a Boom Recorder rig; the 8 AES outputs from the Sonosax mixer were integral to getting 16 channels of audio into the computer interface (8 digital, 8 analog).

I’d much rather have done the job with a Scorpio.

Brian Copenhagen

4 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Sorry Dan, you were one cent off so you didn't get the free one. The good news is that SD is offering a second sweepstake for the post Brexit UK price, which could be ### anything! But we have to guess the currency we'll be using by June/July too.

$4 out (but still the closest ,')

Is there a way to save EQ presets for those recurring characters and costumes which need more or less the same eq every time?

And on larger control surfaces, could the 3 band EQ theoretically be controlled outside of the scorpio eq menu?

4 hours ago, bcopenhagen said:

Thanks for being an active part of this thread, Paul.

I am also interested in the decision to limit the AES inputs to just 4 channels. Is there a hardware or software limitation to using 2 more XLRs to provide a total of 8 AES3 ins?  I was hoping to read about Scorpio and see 8 AES inputs, whereupon the clouds would have parted with the angels singing to me that this is, indeed, my next recorder.  If you’re taking requests, that would be the one that would tip the scale for me.

As it happens, I just wrapped on a film that required 14-16 tracks recording all the time, for which I built a Boom Recorder rig; the 8 AES outputs from the Sonosax mixer were integral to getting 16 channels of audio into the computer interface (8 digital, 8 analog).

I’d much rather have done the job with a Scorpio.

Brian Copenhagen

I'm very curious as well as to why the number of AES inputs was limited. Especially as many pro wireless already have AES output, and this will only become more common as time passes (and Scorpio is a recorder which will last for many years into the future).

7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'm very curious as well as to why the number of AES inputs was limited. Especially as many pro wireless already have AES output, and this will only become more common as time passes (and Scorpio is a recorder which will last for many years into the future).

Betting on Dante?

16 minutes ago, borjam said:

Betting on Dante?

Yes, of course. And with the multi-channel receivers that makes a lot of sense, especially if they can be daisy-chained. Same for digital mixers. Dante is really the only format that makes a lot of sense. 

But with the small a10/SRc type receivers I‘m not seeing any Dante anywhere. Although... why not? It could just about fit perhaps. 

Personally, I‘m not worried as I‘ve got all analog outputs and currently a max of 3 digital mics, and I never use them. 

Well, maybe that'll change in the future as well. Time will tell I guess. 

I have a premonition that in the near future we'll not only be sound mixers, but also DIT, or bit-bucket for video. I sort of see an integrated Scorpio-PIX solution where we'd have a fully fledged audio mixer and a bit bucket drive for video, so that all media is delivered via us. 

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

They do. A10 rack. Although it doesn’t integrate as closely as the sl-6. 

I’ve heard the A10 rack supports remote control via USB (essentially the Super Slot protocol transported over USB, ala the PSC SixPack and their mod for the Lectro OctoPack) with Cantar X3 line, I would bet pretty hard on this coming to Scorpio as well. And maybe an SL6-mk2 that allows for this, maybe with Dante, and maybe even stacking 2 of them together on top of a Scorpio...

12 hours ago, JonG said:

@Paul Isaacs, out of curiosity, have you measured the power draw on this device with everything engaged and running on full steam? All 48V on, SL6, etc?

Many of our Cart power solutions have limitations on power outputs, I’d like a rating to know which would be the best output to choose. On the PSC Zeus for example, there are 3A, 5A, and 8A outputs. 

We don't have final figures on that yet, still testing that. In idle your looking at about 875mA @12V

16 mic preamps all running 48v, 10mA and battery charging on will consume current. We'll publish details once confirmed.

FWIW, Scorpio has super intelligent power management - anything that isn't active is powered down.

6 hours ago, BAB414 said:

Is there a way to save EQ presets for those recurring characters and costumes which need more or less the same eq every time?

And on larger control surfaces, could the 3 band EQ theoretically be controlled outside of the scorpio eq menu?

3-band EQ can be controlled for ch 1-16 from USB controllers yes, including the Icon Platform M+. EQ Gain, Freq, Q, Type, Bypass all available for all three bands.

Saving EQ presets is on our agenda, although not at release.

4 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

Ya don't think SD might make new accessories for this in the future? Maybe a Superslot-Dante rack thing? 

It exists already, the A10-Rack. Hooks up beautifully via Dante to the Scorpio.

20 minutes ago, Michael Wynne said:

All The Dante hype, left AES feeling left behind.  Is the future all Dante workflow for production carts.  Doubtful.

Curious why you think it is doubtful? With Gigabit Switches almost free and 10 Gigabit switches becoming affordable, it seems like a reasonable solution for even large shows.

I am not advocating for it, just wondering why you think it is unlikely.

1 hour ago, Nicolas said:

I read this in the specs:     

" • Larger touchscreen display available via USB-connected SD-Remote app. "

(https://www.sounddevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/ScorpioSpecifications.pdf)

Does this actually mean i can control the whole unit via touchscreen? This would be awesome. 

Cheers!

I have a feeling they mean a (currently only Android) tablet by that? I think you‘d have about as much control as you have now with Wingman. Although I do wonder if something like the Raven touchscreen controllers could be used for the Scorpio? I don’t know if they support Mackie Control

1 hour ago, Paul Isaacs said:

It exists already, the A10-Rack. Hooks up beautifully via Dante to the Scorpio.

Thank you! I'm getting sloppy with reading all the fancy moving picture sound tech stuff since moving to radio land. Congratulations on, once again, making a very well thought through product. 

2 hours ago, Michael Wynne said:

All The Dante hype, left AES feeling left behind.  Is the future all Dante workflow for production carts.  Doubtful.

Although I'm not convinced Dante is "the best (aes67/revanna is also supported by the Scorpio, the pretty much the standard for broadcast in EU, because according to the engineers of duty/in charge found Dante unreliable in big setups),  audio over IP in general is basically/de facto the successor of AES3/42. I read a white paper from AES on this subject/discussion a while ago, will check if I can find it.