scorpio!

daniel

6 minutes ago, Mirror said:

I wonder if SD will be making their own control surface for this in the future.  If so, I'm in.  Not a big fan of layering faders to get past 8 pot count.

With the Icon system you can add additional fader panels to get as many faders as you need.  You don't have to use banks if you don't want.

2 hours ago, Carmi Weinzweig said:

Curious why you think it is doubtful? With Gigabit Switches almost free and 10 Gigabit switches becoming affordable, it seems like a reasonable solution for even large shows.

I am not advocating for it, just wondering why you think it is unlikely.

Beware, not all Ethernet switches are created equal. You can’t imagine the kind of crap you can buy.

4 hours ago, Paul Isaacs said:

We don't have final figures on that yet, still testing that. In idle your looking at about 875mA @12V

16 mic preamps all running 48v, 10mA and battery charging on will consume current. We'll publish details once confirmed.

FWIW, Scorpio has super intelligent power management - anything that isn't active is powered down.

How does it compare to a 688 in a “typical” bag configuration (one phantom plus a handful more line level tracks being recorded), is much more or less, or very similar power consumption?

54 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

How does it compare to a 688 in a “typical” bag configuration (one phantom plus a handful more line level tracks being recorded), is much more or less, or very similar power consumption?

875 minus 15 * 10 = 725mah @ 12v = 8/9 watt per hour. Seems very accurate and on par with other systems out there.

53 minutes ago, astro said:

Although the pictures and advertisement texts say AES on 1 and 6, the block diagram shows AES3 inputs on 1,2,5 and 6. What's right?

AES3 is 2 channel; therefore, if you feed channel 1 with AES3, it will give you 2 channels (1,2), and on channel 6 as well (5,6). If you use it for AES42 feeds (Microphone) it will just pop up as mono (hence, channel 1 and 6 occupied).

That is how I read it.

2 hours ago, Mirror said:

I wonder if SD will be making their own control surface for this in the future.  If so, I'm in.  Not a big fan of layering faders to get past 8 pot count.

They will, they're already on it. I can't find the link but I saw it this morning. It even got a name that fits … 

1 hour ago, astro said:

Although the pictures and advertisement texts say AES on 1 and 6, the block diagram shows AES3 inputs on 1,2,5 and 6. What's right?

To refine Vincent’s explanation above, and speaking from theory (not actual usage!):

the physical input is on XLRs 1 & 6, each of which can provide 2 channels of audio for AES3.  If you want both AES channels from XLR 1, you will need to choose AES for both ch 1 & 2 in the input settings on the recorder.

4 channels of AES available on 2 XLR connectors. But you won’t be able to then use XLR 2 & 5 for mic pres…

2 hours ago, Boomboom said:

They will, they're already on it. I can't find the link but I saw it this morning. It even got a name that fits … 

It‘d be great if you could find that link, because I‘d be very interested. So far I’ve only heard that they have no immediate plans for a controller. 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:45 AM, Paul Isaacs said:

(the battery chargers can draw over 3 A alone)..

And can be turned off like on the 788?

On 4/5/2019 at 1:49 AM, Paul Isaacs said:

This is Sound Devices. You know the score. We prefer to announce what is definite!

Yes of course. But you also said here that saving EQ setups is on your agenda. So I understand that Overdub isn’t yet, or it’s a bigger feature so you’ll stay quiet about it. 

That would be one of the last software features the Cantar X3 would have over the Scorpio...

I feel ( or want to feel ) that Sound Devices has a control surface in the works.  Looking at this Platform M+ it's obvious this was designed with the home studio daw user in mind.  None of the typically buttons or production type workflow/layout we need.  I'm becoming more and more happy with my 688/CL12.  May just buy a second for a deal when all run towards this product.

1 hour ago, Michael Wynne said:

I feel ( or want to feel ) that Sound Devices has a control surface in the works.  Looking at this Platform M+ it's obvious this was designed with the home studio daw user in mind.  None of the typically buttons or production type workflow/layout we need.  I'm becoming more and more happy with my 688/CL12.  May just buy a second for a deal when all run towards this product.

The 688/CL12 is a great combo that we continue to sell and support. With the Scorpio, we are specifically mapping the Platform M+ controls/buttons for Scorpio production sound use. Each channel strip will have access to trim, fader, solo, mute, arm, pan, HPF, Limiter, 3-band EQ, track name display, delay, bus sends etc. Then you have access to all bus gains/mutes and output gains/mutes.  Then transport control and user buttons for things like coms and slate + more. Besides that, our USB Midi MCU support makes mapping controls pretty easy and flexible as we move forward.

11 hours ago, Constantin said:

And can be turned off like on the 788?

Yes of course. But you also said here that saving EQ setups is on your agenda. So I understand that Overdub isn’t yet, or it’s a bigger feature so you’ll stay quiet about it. 

That would be one of the last software features the Cantar X3 would have over the Scorpio...

MixPre makes for an excellent value little overdub box to put in your kit for those cases, no?

Thanks for the clarification on how you guys will implement the mapping on the Platform M+ and congrats on the new Scorpio launch!    As you know I'm primarily a TV mixer for scripted work and high track counts for us are the norm.  What I would like to see is something like similar to the CL12 + trims with high quality P&G type faders.   Bank switching or adding an extra controller is not practical in fast pace workflows.   Just yesterday I easily exceeded 8 faders and I couldn't imagine bank mixing or having to set up a second controller.   We're also having to coordinate with our wireless which typically has fixed input routing to the recorder so it's not always possible to use a 1-8 type logic since certain blocks may be further down the line /etc.  Also have questions about com workflow which I'll post later on.

2 hours ago, Paul Isaacs said:

MixPre makes for an excellent value little overdub box to put in your kit for those cases, no?

Absolutely, but it makes no sense to me on a tv production. I need overdub to re-record one speaker after a take, where something was the wrong, but they don’t want to shoot it again. With overdub the actor can listen to him-/herself a few times and then record the new line directly into my mic. Basically a simple form of ADR. How would I do that with the MixPre? I would need to record everything on the MixPre as well as on the Scorpio, that makes little sense. And there’s normally no time  to transfer everything to the MixPre. 

No, it needs to be in the Scorpio. That would be such an awesome feature. The Cantar X3 does it... just to encourage you through competition ;)

46 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Absolutely, but it makes no sense to me on a tv production. I need overdub to re-record one speaker after a take, where something was the wrong, but they don’t want to shoot it again. With overdub the actor can listen to him-/herself a few times and then record the new line directly into my mic. Basically a simple form of ADR. How would I do that with the MixPre? I would need to record everything on the MixPre as well as on the Scorpio, that makes little sense. And there’s normally no time  to transfer everything to the MixPre. 

No, it needs to be in the Scorpio. That would be such an awesome feature. The Cantar X3 does it... just to encourage you through competition ;)

understood!

Seriously doubt SD will make another control surface. Low margin, medium repair footprint, high manufacturing cost. BUT!!!, I would be some enterprising engineer is currently on their computer with a design tailored to our world. In house controllers have a few huge advantages. 1. being it was designed for a given machine, any question about support went to one company.. With these 3rd party controllers, if theres an issue, who do you call?? 2. Power consumption, CL9 sips power, some of the one's I've looked at are north of 2 amps.. 3. Durability, how well will these controllers hold up in the swamps, bugs and heat of a Louisiana Summer.. 7plus year on my CL9 and I know what I trust.. 

What I love about the CL9 is simplicity and reliability. I turn it on and it works.. I look forward to field reports when all this finally drops..

On 4/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, Mark LeBlanc said:

Seriously doubt SD will make another control surface. Low margin, medium repair footprint, high manufacturing cost. BUT!!!, I would be some enterprising engineer is currently on their computer with a design tailored to our world. In house controllers have a few huge advantages. 1. being it was designed for a given machine, any question about support went to one company.. With these 3rd party controllers, if theres an issue, who do you call?? 2. Power consumption, CL9 sips power, some of the one's I've looked at are north of 2 amps.. 3. Durability, how well will these controllers hold up in the swamps, bugs and heat of a Louisiana Summer.. 7plus year on my CL9 and I know what I trust.. 

What I love about the CL9 is simplicity and reliability. I turn it on and it works.. I look forward to field reports when all this finally drops..

Well, I won't be buying a Scorpio unless SD makes their own controller for it.  I'd rather pay the extra money and go Cantar than cobble together a system that the manufacturer won't stand behind all the pieces.   

1 hour ago, Mirror said:

Well, I won't be buying a Scorpio unless SD makes their own controller for it.  I'd rather pay the extra money and go Cantar than cobble together a system that the manufacturer won't stand behind all the pieces.   

Good and interesting point, think a few might be heading for thinking along those lines, though of course Zaxcom also makes their own controllers.

8 hours ago, Mirror said:

But you can use the Icon platform in your studio to control your daw, as well as the Scorpio. Sure, you might not have a home studio and go post one day and production the other, but still... you might someday! I kinda like the idea that SD incorporate other players related into their systems, helping out other manufacturers in a way. And vice versa. I’m not saying you’re wrong, quite the contrary, I do agree with you more than not. But modularity and changeability  is something SD has considered here, and if a company is great at making recorders but not great at making controllers, they should do exactly as SD have now, in my opinion. That said, SD are known for listening to their customers and making very good products after a while. So maybe someday we’ll have a CL-Scorpio! 

10 hours ago, Mirror said:

Sound Devices is standing behind it! As Icon is being officially supported by them.

18 hours ago, Mirror said:

I was thinking the same thing and then I remembered how many error messages and bugs I’ve experienced with the CL12 so maybe a competent 3rd party controller based on an open protocol doesn’t sound so bad. I guess we’ll see. 

Looks like Icon makes an 8-fader expansion panel as well as an LCD screen add on for displaying info. It will be interesting to see the various setups that are possible. 

4 hours ago, Derek H said:

Looks like Icon makes an 8-fader expansion panel as well as an LCD screen add on for displaying info. It will be interesting to see the various setups that are possible. 

You can have up to 3 expansion panels attached to the Platform M for a total of 32 faders. 

-Mike