scorpio!

daniel

On 4/5/2019 at 6:33 PM, bcopenhagen said:

To refine Vincent’s explanation above, and speaking from theory (not actual usage!):

the physical input is on XLRs 1 & 6, each of which can provide 2 channels of audio for AES3.  If you want both AES channels from XLR 1, you will need to choose AES for both ch 1 & 2 in the input settings on the recorder.

4 channels of AES available on 2 XLR connectors. But you won’t be able to then use XLR 2 & 5 for mic pres…

I’d be curious if that’s really the case that you can’t use XLR 2 or 5 when you’re doing AES. 

The Scorpio is different from the MixPre line and the 6-series in that any physical input can be routed to any channel (so says the marketing materials). So it seems to me that even if you’re using XLR 1 for two channels of AES, you should be able to route XLR 2 to channel 3 or any other unused channel. 

-Mike

8 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

So it seems to me that even if you’re using XLR 1 for two channels of AES, you should be able to route XLR 2 to channel 3 or any other unused channel. 

I’d love to be wrong!

But consider this:

Selecting the input type happens before the routing. The flexible routing means channels to tracks, but the Scorpio has 16 channels (ie, signal paths) from the physical inputs. I’m leaving the 17-32 Dante-only channels out of this discussion for the moment. 

from the FAQs:

“Channels 1-16 can be fed from analog mic or line, SL-6, AES3 or AES42 (XLR inputs 1 and 6), Dante, or Rtn-A, -B, or -C.”

Also, in the manual for the 688 (on which the implementation of AES on XLR 1 & 6 seems to be based), choosing AES as the input type for Ch 2 is a contextual choice, available only when AES has been selected on Ch 1 input. That seems to imply that if you want the 2nd ch of AES, it has to use the signal path of Ch 2.

Anyway, it doesn’t seem likely that SD can implement 8 channels of AES input, given the hardware inputs. So I’ll just let that idea die quietly in its sleep and will still consider the Scorpio as a viable contender for my next recorder upgrade.

-Brian

I would --guess-- the Scorpio doesn't have Kashmir preamps. I'd think SD would say if they were, and I also think of the Scorpio as being a much higher-end device than those in the modern MixPre line. But I'd also guess the Scorpio's preamps are impressive. Just a guess at this point, though.

Actually I'm pretty sure Paul from SD himself said somewhere (probably even in this thread) they are new preamps (their best to date ; )

edit: found it:

On 4/4/2019 at 5:29 PM, Paul Isaacs said:

They are Scorpio preamps. Lowest noise we've made to date.

3 hours ago, borjam said:

It doesn't look like the Kashmir preamp at all. 

Remember that the Scorpio offers adjustable limiters while the MixPres have a fixed time constant and threshold level.

Adjustable threshold is a must on professional devices (also glad for a return to all metering in dBFS!!) but adjustable release time is a fantastic addition as well. Wondering if we’ll have knee options, or sidechain filtering - it does already do EQ...

What about the rotary faders on the scorpio? Will they still be active when the ICON is connected? (I'm comparing to 788/CL8/CL9 connection, you can either use a CL8 or a CL9 with the 788)
If they are still active, can I assign my radio mics that are on CH3-Ch10 to be controlled by fader 1-8 on the ICON, and control let's say my boom mics on CH1 and CH2 with their respective rotary faders on the Scorpio front panel? 

Thanks.

I have reserved mine, and I will tell you all about it!!

My plan, currently, is to use it as I do my 788T, with my PSC Solice. I will buy the iCon to add faders when I need extra faders. I have little in-line device that reads the power draw on 12v 4-pin XLR cable. I plan to use that to power the iCon, so I will report back on power consumption.

I will now have my 664 in the bag, my 788T/CL9 on a mini cart of sorts, and my Scorpio on the main cart.

Can't wait!!

On 4/5/2019 at 12:30 PM, Wandering Ear said:

With the Icon system you can add additional fader panels to get as many faders as you need.  You don't have to use banks if you don't want.

I guess, if you want a 3-foot fader board.  The iCon is 15 and a half inches long.  Put 2 of them together and you're playing a piano!

I kinda agree with the critique on the size of the M+. A CL12 was about right for a rack mount based cart, which is not unlikely you have, for higher track count recordings/jobs. And the M+ is 8 track so if you you need a tad bit more you are at 16, over the width of a rack. Whilst the other way around, 19 inch width is ok to have like 12 to 16 faders easily. Loads of smaller PA boards out there that can cramp a reasonable amount of numbers on that space. This Presonus one is slightly over 19 inch, for example.

faderport_16-MEDIABAR-1038x576.jpg

16 hours ago, Constantin said:

How about one behind the other? Slightly stacked?

I'd prefer, as I imagine most production sound mixers would, that SD makes a dedicated control surface to fit the needs of production sound mixers and not let their customer base rely on equipment used by garage band flunkies. I want buttons on the board that are dedicated to the needs of production sound mixers. I really like the CL-12 other than the omission of trim knobs for each individual channel.  Make that and I'll buy a Scorpio.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

I kinda agree with the critique on the size of the M+. A CL12 was about right for a rack mount based cart, which is not unlikely you have, for higher track count recordings/jobs. And the M+ is 8 track so if you you need a tad bit more you are at 16, over the width of a rack. Whilst the other way around, 19 inch width is ok to have like 12 to 16 faders easily. Loads of smaller PA boards out there that can cramp a reasonable amount of numbers on that space. This Presonus one is slightly over 19 inch, for example.

faderport_16-MEDIABAR-1038x576.jpg

Unfortunately, no dedicated trim knobs for each individual channel.

17 hours ago, Mirror said:

I'd prefer, as I imagine most production sound mixers would, that SD makes a dedicated control surface to fit the needs of production sound mixers

I was strictly commenting on your worries regarding the width of the controller. And I wouldn’t mind a stacked mixer, certainly better than switching banks

More questions

1. Probably should be a poll for requested Midi controller people wish to be supported

2. What’s the Input to Output Latency of the system with an analog signal

3. On which device do you map controls from Surface to Scorpio? At release, what will the default mappings be?

4. When Banking, is there a way to bank only say the Last 2 faders? That way I can map low word count actors together 

5. Please map the Beep for rolling and 2 beep out the comm outs. 

6. If there’s an issue with function on the control surface. Who should the first call goto? 

7. I love moving app to Android, cheaper tablets and OS that doesn’t change behind the scenes as much as IOS but

8. Can you have a setting to see Maybe 12 channels instead of banking and or If you bank on the Control Surface will the Software follow?

Sure there will be more 

ML