scorpio!

daniel

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As a a new 888 owner, I was curious to know.  At first glance through the manual for the 888 , the only reference to the blue color is in a photo screenshot  of the Bus 1 screen. In the  legend in the top left corner, it says Send = <blue box>

(See attached image from the 888 manual).

I will keep looking, but that’s the first clue.

ED87A82B-DA20-48F7-9EE0-5EB6D63B03E1.jpeg

Blue means it's a Send. 

So you can define a value of how much is sent to the bus.

I think this is controlled in the channel setup screen of the specific channel. 

Manual page 8

CHANNEL TO BUS ROUTING

Determines to which bus or buses the 
channel audio will be sent. When a channel is routed to a bus as a Send (bus box highlighted blue), the Send Gain value is used. When 
a channel is sent Pre (green) or Post (orange), the Send Gain value is ignored.

I hope Im right and this is helpful. 

I have to do this often on live remote anchoring sets for network news and sports.  Often the host/talent have IFB ear molds in their ears and can't hear their guests / other talent sitting or standing right next to them well, especially in high noise environments.  They each need each others iso's blended in lightly for a mix minus on set.  It was always a struggle with the 688 having no control of the send to aux levels of the ISOs; I'd have to provide the remote program feed hot to each aux talent in-ear monitor so the ISO pre-fade (of the others) to the aux was at a lower level.  It was a delicate and painful dance.  On the 8 Series with the aux send option it's a breeze.  One of the many reasons I added a 833 and Scorpio.  This is a great feature that you don't know you needed until you had the option.

• 3 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 12:41 AM, Paul Isaacs said:

Geoff - thanks for sharing your first impressions of Scorpio. All good stuff, much of which we know about and are in our short term plans.

You mention 'half-baked' ... I'd prefer to think of Scorpio as a fully-baked first tier of a cake designed to be robust enough to have many further tiers added to it:) And each layer is sweeter than the last;) 

Just like all our previous products e.g. 788T, Scorpio's hardware, OS, and external control ecosystem have been architected to evolve and grow with the needs of the production sound industry for many years to come. Keep watching this space. This is just the beginning. 

Thx again

Paul

Hello Paul!

I feel like I know you now after all of your recent webinars, which by the way have been most excellent!

It's been almost a year now since I posted my intitial reactions and true to your word, the "cake" is shaping up quite nicely. Almost all of my early concerns have been addressed and remedied. 

As you have often said, this is an entirely new platform and now, as you add more and more functionality to it, I can appreciate the design structure and the years of thought that went into the framework. It is truly an extraordinary achievement. Thank you for that and your continual support and forward thinking. I look forward to years of new and exciting updates and accessories.

Cheers and thanks again!

Geoff

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 4:30 AM, Alex Sullivan said:

Is there anyone out there using a Scorpio with a CL-12 who can report back on how well that is working for them?

I'm bumping this post. I am seriously thinking of upgrading my 688 to a scorpio but before i make the purchase i'd love to know if people have been using the scorpio - SL6 - CL12 combo and would like to report.

There are still a few point that are a bit unclear to me. When using the SL6 you need to power the SL6/scorpio through the SL6 (NP1 or Hirose), correct? So that means you cannot charge the potential NPF battery plugged in the back of the scorpio through the machine?

Will any USB A - USB A cable work as a connection between the scorpio and the CL12?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, Ben B said:

I'm bumping this post. I am seriously thinking of upgrading my 688 to a scorpio but before i make the purchase i'd love to know if people have been using the scorpio - SL6 - CL12 combo and would like to report.

There are still a few point that are a bit unclear to me. When using the SL6 you need to power the SL6/scorpio through the SL6 (NP1 or Hirose), correct? So that means you cannot charge the potential NPF battery plugged in the back of the scorpio through the machine?

Will any USB A - USB A cable work as a connection between the scorpio and the CL12?

I only had about 12 shoot days with the Scorpio and CL-12 before the shutdown but I was pretty happy with the setup.  Probably the most useful trick was to map two of the user buttons to "select" and "headphone" so that you could use the single knob on the CL-12 to operate both of those functions on the Scorpio.  It'll soon go into a case as a backup device once I get my hands on a CL-16.  Oh, and although I did send the CL-12 the extra power via the USB power port, according to SD this is not necessary with the Scorpio.  Mine setup has been stable so I'm leaving it connected.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I’ve sent Sound Devices a feature request. I thought I’d describe the feature here as well in case 8 series owners are interested and keen to see this feature. 

I've requested a copy and paste feature like large consoles have. Mainly for EQ but also good for compression and possibly noise assist. 

An example that came up recently was a day with insane cicadas. EQ notched out most of the cicada noise however going through the EQ process for every channel was time consuming. Copy and paste from 1 channel to the others would be superb. 

Thanks and regards 

Peter Mega 

• 1 month later...

Hello together

Now in Corona times it would be really useful to get an overdub feature for the Scorpio.

I often have to record singers one after another to a prior recorded track and I wonder why a cheap MixPre is able to do overdub and such an expensiv flagship like the Scorpio isn‘t.

It‘s time now for implementing such an important feature...

Many regards

Markus

• 3 weeks later...