Control Surfaces

JonG

With the MixPres and now the Scorpio allowing the use of control surfaces, I’m curious to see what direction people are going. I like the idea of a theoretical 16 channel fader bank with a scribble strip, buttons for mute, pfl, track arm, etc etc. 

I use a CM Labs MotorMix for Pro-Tools which has two major drawbacks (aside from them no longer being made), it’s AC powered (not too big a deal for me since I can use an inverter on my cart), and it uses its own language to talk to the DAW. I’d really like to link two of these up to use with a Scorpio but I’d need some way of converting its controller language to something that the Scorpio can talk to. It seems like this sort of thing exists as a program for the computer, I wonder if there were a way to make an io box that could translate. 

Anyone out there that’s handy in this sort of way?

5 hours ago, JonG said:

Anyone out there that’s handy in this sort of way?

Yes, my brother. He makes the software called Midi Translator. And also a small hardware box called BomeBox, which basically uses Midi Translator as a firmware. It’s fairly popular with DJs and electronic musicians who will use this in their various stage setups. He can also make special version as needed, but he will probably charge something for it, depending on how much work it is. But it’s well possible that it works out of the box, as I believe he has added compatibility to the software for many controllers already, usually at the request of the manufacturer. And if it works in the software it can be uploaded to the box. 

Contact him here, if interested: 

www.bome.com