788t timecode problems

joshneal

I just purchased a 788t and am using it on this job and have been experiencing some major timecode issues.  First off, I noticed some major drift after the unit being powered off and back on when in 24h run.  The Sony battery and an external np were connected.  Then I switched to regular free run but had the same issue.  Then I tried rejamming to find that the slate was jamming either a couple seconds to a couple minutes after the tc on the display.  Running at 23.976nd 24bit 48k.  Pretty standard.  Checked all settings on the slate and recorder multiple times and tried 2 different tc cables.  I tried switching the framerate to 24, then back to 23.976.  The slate would jam after this, but all the same issues when the unit was powered off and back on.  Anyone else had any of these problems?  Having a new unit brought to set as I type, hoping this one works right!

If you have a properly functioning slate TC gen and a working 788 and they really are set to the same TC framerate then they should stay in sync for many hours after a jam.  Are you sure the slate is taking the jam?  If that doesn't work then I'd call SD and get them to talk you thru the procedure.

Philip Perkins

The most recent version mentioned a repair to "occasional" TC issues on the 788T - make sure you are current.

Also be sure the slate is new enough to have 23.976 capability, and is at the correct position on the dial (#4 on Denecke).

Perhaps try 29.97, since this will work just fine on 23.976 projects.

Robert

So at lunch today on set the new machine arrived and I began some tests only to find that the exact same problems were occuring with the new machine.  I called Sound Devices after that and spoke to their support department.  I explained the problem and they said that they were aware of an issue when powering the unit on with the timecode cable connected.  Basically when you power the unit off and back on with the cable connected it will jump out of sync.  It will not jam the slate correctly and the tc display will be well out of sync.  The solution:  unplug and replug the cable or power it on without the cable plugged in.  My 788 has been seated comfortably on my cart and I just left the cable connected rather than reconnecting it everytime I had to jam.  But I had no idea that this was an known issue.  But Sound Devices did say it was a firmware issue - they hadnt solved it yet, but were working on it.  A great thing to know if you are a 788 owner/user!  Hope this post makes someone out there not stress if this happens to them! 

My partner just had his 744T serviced about a month back and they replaced a number of things including the timecode card.  Now the 744T is doing the exact same thing joshneal is describing.  I'm not sure if the firmware upgrade fixed it or not.  I haven't taken it out since.

My partner just had his 744T serviced about a month back and they replaced a number of things including the timecode card.  Now the 744T is doing the exact same thing joshneal is describing.  I'm not sure if the firmware upgrade fixed it or not.  I haven't taken it out since.

This bug is fixed in v2.63 firmware for the 744T and 702T.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks:

I also noticed this time code drift in my 788 when I left the TC cable cabled on it during the day.

The TC would drift quite a lot, and after some time - one hour - it would be very apparent when you switch to the time code jam window in 788's display.

What I do now is to sinc the slate and everything else I have to sinc from the 788 and immediately unplug the TC cable.

No more Tc drifts now.

Best wishes

Tony Muricy

Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.