nova!

Olle Sjostrom

12 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

I was hoping that they would step up their user interface design…

I once considered saving up for the Maxx, but Zaxcom’s cluttered UI annoys me. 

I've only used Zaxcom recorders a few times (a Deva way back when, and a Maxx a couple times). I got used to the interface fairly quickly (ie- I downloaded the manuals ahead of time, put in a little extra prep time). It was fine and didn't limit my abilities (I can limit those all by myself).

11 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

There are 4 AES pairs (8 total AES inputs)

The receivers use 2 pairs (4 channels of audio) and there are 2 pair that come in via the DB connector. If you chose not to use the internal receivers you can get an adaptor to use the receiver inputs as another 2 AES pairs.

There are 6 total analog inputs with 4 of them having neverclip A to D converts.

So, what if we want to use stereo transmitters for the on-board receivers? (In that case, we could need more than 4 inputs just for that 2 receivers modules. So are still they internally cabled someway?)

1 hour ago, vale said:

So, what if we want to use stereo transmitters for the on-board receivers? (In that case, we could need more than 4 inputs just for that 2 receivers modules. So are still they internally cabled someway?)

Each module has 2 AES connections to the Nova supplying those 4 channels, just like a QRX200, so 8 channels possible. Glenn said there will also be a module that breaks out those AES channels for 3rd party connections

As a very happy Cantar mini user I am looking at it to be a 4-pack receiver with zaxnet control on encoders for the cantar on the cart or solo in the bag if one AES cable with d-sub connectors is all it takes to connect the two. The low power consumption plays in well there too. Comes a bit pricier than the qrx/micplexer combo but then its also an another full size recorder.

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I have heard that currently it is largely based on the Nomad UI but they're still in the process of changing this and it could be more Deva like when it finally is shipping.

Hope it trickles to all their recorders then. Used Maxx purchase, here I come.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, pindrop said:

Don't forget the built in Micplexer as well, which apparently will have external output for additional external receivers, however not fully confirmed, and doesn't seem to be apparent on the available photos so far, so that's a bit of a mystery?

Are the 6 push buttons user assignable, anyone know?

Is it goodbye Nomad like 'mode' choices, so the Nova 12 record tracks can be assigned to any 12 inputs, say 4 analog and 8 AES (4 internal plus 4 external) without sacrificing Zaxnet or Neverclip or returns?

Are you kidding me? UGGGH!!! I hate that I don't have money for this. Basically replacing the need to buy like 3 different units. I don't even have enough to sell to get close to getting what I need to buy this thing. :(

4 minutes ago, Actualsizeaudio said:

If anyone ever wants to hear an example of poorly executed noise reduction done in post, please watch the video above. 

Actually I think it's the Cedar Dns2 (hardware) because it was like that in the live stream as well.

4 hours ago, Shastapete said:

Cedar DNS is a hammer, works well on many things, but you still need the right 'amount' of hammer for the job... too much or too little is just as bad as the background noise itself.image.png

Smashed it (the analogy).

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Which is the perfect example for using Cedar DNS2: live streaming

It might be, but I agree with the comments here, the processing was at a point that it was distracting. Especially when listening with headphones. 

1 hour ago, PalmerT said:

I’m curious how well the wireless performs in Nova in comparison to whips on QRX 200s and also to QRXs with Micplexer, both whips and dipoles. Time will tell!

I am in line to find this out. Just completed my order for a nova and 2x 212's. Now the wait begins... this thing crosses of a lot on my list when it comes to my particular workflow. Hoping this all in one unit really does the job indeed time will tell. I should be able to give some input on these exact scenarios above - qrx whips vs mic plexer vs dipoles vs nova whips vs nova dipoles in real world comparisons 

3 minutes ago, osa said:

I am in line to find this out. Just completed my order for a nova and 2x 212's. Now the wait begins... this thing crosses of a lot on my list when it comes to my particular workflow. Hoping this all in one unit really does the job indeed time will tell. I should be able to give some input on these exact scenarios above - qrx whips vs mic plexer vs dipoles vs nova whips vs nova dipoles in real world comparisons 

I would love to hear your findings when everything finally ships!

7 hours ago, osa said:
14 minutes ago, osa said:

Nova has MicPlexer circuitry built in. Keep in mind that because of the MicPlexer filtering, your receivers need to be set to within 35mHz of each other. 

Aes ins and outs is something i haven't engaged with personally until i get this nova. Am i understanding correctly that the aes i/o port on the side is in addition to the qrx212 slots for the 12 ch record capabilities and not an either/or input type thing? i watched the gotham vid with Glenn as well as read the literature available and neither seemed to clearly state this for sure. I.e. i was looking to add 2x qrx200's digitally along with the qrx212's to have 8 trx's total if this is all possible