nova!

Olle Sjostrom

26 minutes ago, osa said:

Aes ins and outs is something i haven't engaged with personally until i get this nova. Am i understanding correctly that the aes i/o port on the side is in addition to the qrx212 slots for the 12 ch record capabilities and not an either/or input type thing? i watched the gotham vid with Glenn as well as read the literature available and neither seemed to clearly state this for sure. I.e. i was looking to add 2x qrx200's digitally along with the qrx212's to have 8 trx's total if this is all possible

Unlike the Nomad, there's no "input configuration" to be done in the Nova. All the inputs (whether it be RX, AES or analog inputs) will be always available for assignment to mixing buses and card tracks. You can use any and all combinations of inputs at the same time. Your example of 2x QRX212 plus 2x QRX200 would definitely be possible and is very much the intended function of providing additional AES inputs and RF loop outs on the Nova.

There posts about it the Zaxcom forums. 

I’ve never used Zaxcom but many other CF card speced hardware. And there are quite a lot of the thicker Type II adapters but only a few thinner Type I adapters and I’ve tried many of them and some are really unreliable in low temps or does not write fast enough while others are stable and good performers. 

One of the better are the Type I in plastic from Delock. They are rock solid down to -25C during winters as well as high humidity and temps in the 40C. 

Ans they work great for WiFi cards like the FlashAir if that kind of function is needed. 

https://www.delock.com/produkte/S_62637/merkmale.html

On 4/17/2019 at 5:30 PM, John Blankenship said:

Nova has MicPlexer circuitry built in. Keep in mind that because of the MicPlexer filtering, your receivers need to be set to within 35mHz of each other. 

Does the internal Micplexer work in conjunction with the (upcoming) external RX add-ons? I’m wondering if I can successfully use Lectro SRbs as the two additional receivers or if the micplexer filtering is proprietary for Zax gear. 

Cheers,

Evan

On 4/20/2019 at 9:52 AM, Display Name said:

There posts about it the Zaxcom forums. 

I’ve never used Zaxcom but many other CF card speced hardware. And there are quite a lot of the thicker Type II adapters but only a few thinner Type I adapters and I’ve tried many of them and some are really unreliable in low temps or does not write fast enough while others are stable and good performers. 

One of the better are the Type I in plastic from Delock. They are rock solid down to -25C during winters as well as high humidity and temps in the 40C. 

Ans they work great for WiFi cards like the FlashAir if that kind of function is needed. 

https://www.delock.com/produkte/S_62637/merkmale.html

Thanks for that info...

I realize photos of the nova available now may not truly represent final product but coming from sound devices i am not used to anennas coming out of the face of a mixer. Am i the only one seeing it as odd that to put your thumb n pointer finger on the volume knob as shown in pic below would be tough with an antenna or even worse right angle lowloss antenna cable connected?  Has anyone else been able to put their hands on a demo and see if this is even an issue?

19 hours ago, osa said:

I realize photos of the nova available now may not truly represent final product but coming from sound devices i am not used to anennas coming out of the face of a mixer. Am i the only one seeing it as odd that to put your thumb n pointer finger on the volume knob as shown in pic below would be tough with an antenna or even worse right angle lowloss antenna cable connected?  Has anyone else been able to put their hands on a demo and see if this is even an issue?

Aside from the RF loop outs on the side, the production model will look pretty much identical to the unit you see on the photos.

IMO not much of an issue. If you are using a whip antenna, your fingers can wrap around the headphone knob in such a way to not conflict with the antenna position. Basically, you'll get used to it.

On the other hand, you could use a different type of antenna. For example, I will be using dipoles instead of whips with my Nova, and remote the antennas to the front of the bag using short cables with right angled connectors (as I currently do with my Nomad / RX-12 bag).

Will the nova or maybe zaxcom recorders in general give the option for split mono bwf and poly file bwf recording? I have a mix of clients where some prefer split mono to grab a single iso track when needed and some want poly for high count track management

19 minutes ago, zerascal said:

yep no problemo, you choose mono or poly before recording and you can change it in zaxconvert or Wave agent after recording

To be more accurate -- you choose mono or poly for MIRRORING -- the primary recording is in MARF format.  Mirroring can be done continuously while recording, in between takes, or later -- user selected.

58 minutes ago, John Blankenship said:

To be more accurate -- you choose mono or poly for MIRRORING -- the primary recording is in MARF format.  Mirroring can be done continuously while recording, in between takes, or later -- user selected.

Exact John ;)

2 hours ago, PalmerT said:

I'm really hoping Zaxcom doesn't get rid AutoTrim! It is so useful and fast.

I love auto trim as well.

But  auto trim - as you currently know it - is not in Nova.

That's because auto trim is no longer necessary.

Since nova's 5 knobs are encoders that allows for each knob to be either a faders x 5, an input trim knob for each assigned input or a zaxnet remote gain control knob for each input.

The flexability the encoders give nova is huge.

So don't think of it like you're loosing auto trim - think of it like you're gaining auto trim on steroids.

19 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

Since nova's 5 knobs are encoders that allows for each knob to be either a faders x 5, an input trim knob for each assigned input or a zaxnet remote gain control knob for each input.

So don't think of it like you're loosing auto trim - think of it like you're gaining auto trim on steroids.

'Auto trim on steroids', I'm ready to believe.....:)

Flexibility is one characteristic, the need to think, and particularly speed, are others.

Autotrim is mechanically logical.
Could you perhaps clarify some of the following please -

Say you want to trim, rather than fade, your fifth and your sixth input, and all five pots are currently set to fade, what button presses would you need  to achieve that?
Are the encoders themselves 'pressable' as user assigned switches? If not how do you switch from fade to trim, and presumably to the second bank for the sixth input, and determine that the second bank would come up as trim etc. etc?

Thanks....

P.S. Any time scale on the Nova manual being published?

20 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

1 hour ago, pindrop said:

'Auto trim on steroids', I'm ready to believe.....:)

Flexibility is one characteristic, the need to think, and particularly speed, are others.

Autotrim is mechanically logical.
Could you perhaps clarify some of the following please -

Say you want to trim, rather than fade, your fifth and your sixth input, and all five pots are currently set to fade, what button presses would you need  to achieve that?
Are the encoders themselves 'pressable' as user assigned switches? If not how do you switch from fade to trim, and presumably to the second bank for the sixth input, and determine that the second bank would come up as trim etc. etc?

Thanks....

P.S. Any time scale on the Nova manual being published?

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but it sounded like you would have to push the trim button to access trim control on the encoders. If you wanted trim 5, you would twist the 5th knob, if you needed to access trim 6, you would have to hit the trim button again to access 6-10. I think this is how it works, but again I'm not totally sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But if that is the case, it does seem a bit more cumbersome to access than autotrim in my opinion, but maybe not. One might just have to get used to it. I do remember initially when autotrim was released, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it compared to having a physical gain knob. It turns out I think autotrim turned into one of the quickest and easiest ways to access gain control, even over a physical knob. On the other hand there is the example of virtual faders, which were just too cumbersome and difficult to access on the fly in a multicast or reality situation. That is why I gravitated toward the FP8.All of this is just my personal experience with these things. I think autotrim was a great advance over physical faders and I'm a little sad to see it go, but hopefully it is for a new and better way.

With the nova and built in zaxnet - correct me if i am wrong - but couldn't a stereo trx replace the need for camera link trx? Not sure what details i am missing but i just tested with my sound devices/mixplexer2/qrx setup to a rx200 and all seemed to work without interference. I am jazzed at no need to bds power anything if this works as the new way forward. 

On 4/28/2019 at 9:09 AM, pindrop said:

To trim - you would press the trim button on the face of nova - now all of your knobs are input trim controllers.

Each bank is color coded - so when you change banks the bank key will change color and the top LED over each knob will change its color to match.

Hate to be downer, and I already preordered a Nova and URX100, but that doesn’t sound faster or more intuitive than autotrim to me. Also, do you have to then hit another button to restore the 5 encoders to being faders after putting them in trim mode? Or do they default to faders after a certain period of time?

1 hour ago, Jason Todd said:

Hate to be downer, and I already preordered a Nova and URX100, but that doesn’t sound faster or more intuitive than autotrim to me. Also, do you have to then hit another button to restore the 5 encoders to being faders after putting them in trim mode? Or do they default to faders after a certain period of time?

I kind of agree with you, depending on what channel you are trying to adjust and where you are starting from, it could be quite a few button pushes. As far as I understand it, you have to push the trim button once to access trim for 1-5, a second time for 6-10, etc. You then would have to push the fader button again to get to 1-5 faders, and a second time to get to 6-10, and so forth. 

3 hours ago, Jason Todd said:

1 hour ago, PalmerT said:

I kind of agree with you, depending on what channel you are trying to adjust and where you are starting from, it could be quite a few button pushes. As far as I understand it, you have to push the trim button once to access trim for 1-5, a second time for 6-10, etc. You then would have to push the fader button again to get to 1-5 faders, and a second time to get to 6-10, and so forth. 

Hi All, Yes, this sounds like a lot of quality couch time, maybe Gilligans Island playing in the back ground, while sitting there for many hours learning the new system, just like I had to do with Nomad. But, here is my take on it. In my experience, it's rare to have a transmitter "emergency" gain adjustment. With Zaxcom, I personally use the trim much less than the transmitter gain control. That leaves faders. I will have to sit there for many hours training myself as to what color equals what fader bank. That won't take long, I believe. Now, and I am serious here, after I have memorized the colors of banks and the buttons for trim, zaxnet and fader, I will have someone, probably a P.A. , make little flash cards that have, for example Z6,T4, F16 printed on them, meaning zaxnet gain control transmitter number 6, Trim for track number 4 and of course fader for number 16. Then have the cards held up and see how fast I can get that done. Maybe compare that with doing the same thing on Nomad, and time both events. One thing of course, the FP8 has no knob 16, so on the Nova, it will not only be faster, it will be possible.

Thank you, Martin 

5 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

Before casting any judgement on the lack of auto-trim just wait and see. If the new trim method is a complete failure - which I don't think it is - perhaps they can add auto trim back into Nova.

Definitely, I don’t mean to cast judgement. It was meant to be more of a praise to autotrim and how quick it can be on a multichannel shoot. 🙂 We will wait and see how the new method works in the real world.