nova!

Olle Sjostrom

As Nomad was being introduced prior to its shipment, when auto-trim was explained, I recall the trepidation of many who anguished that its method of trimming would be involved and cumbersome.  Now, prior to Nova shipping, some are concerned that its trim won't equal the slickness of the Nomad.

Funny how history repeats itself.

The first time I used auto-trim I got it and liked it. Hoping for similar with the Nova. I also hate virtual faders and use an FP8 with my Nomad. The idea of having to find and press a tiny button any time I wanna make a trim adjustment isn't appealing, but I'll reserve judgment until I get my hands on it.

I also doubt I'll use the Nova for jobs that require more than 5 channels. Just not a fan of banking while mixing dialogue. It makes sense for music, but is tough for dialogue mixing. Even with my Oasis I only use it for jobs that are 8 channels or less. I have an M32R and Pix270i for large track count jobs. 

Yes as Martin clearly points out maybe some training / learning of brain synapses involved, to use such a capable machine in such a compact package.....:)

Plus no more Nomad like 'Mode' conundrums is a big bonus......:)
Actually which button is the trim button? Would it be one of the user assigned function buttons?

• 1 month later...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD 

UPDATE THE SCREEN pleeeeze

My nightmare realized: It looks like exactly the same low res, dark in sunlight, tiny, scratch prone, crap screen that I've been using on the Nomad for the last 7 years.  It SUCKS. (The rest of the Nomad is brilliant imo)How hell are you going to monitor 8 wireless RX and as many tracks on this microscopic Tandy era technology?  ...and don't get me started on the Windows based Touch.

It needs to be bigger, ultrabright (like SmallHD monitors) higher res, bigger(oh, did I say that already?),  scratch resistant, bigger, maybe OLED, and bigger.

Glenn, +50% of your Nova customers are old and getting older and slowly going blind.

Also, 6 pots should be minimum. 

-With love,

2 hours ago, sonyslave said:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD 

My nightmare realized: It looks like exactly the same low res, dark in sunlight, tiny, scratch prone, crap screen that I've been using on the Nomad for the last 7 years.  It SUCKS. (The rest of the Nomad is brilliant imo)How hell are you going to monitor 8 wireless RX and as many tracks on this microscopic Tandy era technology?  ...and don't get me started on the Windows based Touch.

It needs to be bigger, ultrabright (like SmallHD monitors) higher res, bigger(oh, did I say that already?),  scratch resistant, bigger, maybe OLED, and bigger.

Glenn, +50% of your Nova customers are old and getting older and slowly going blind.

-With love,

Careful, Zaxcom criticism is not tolerated here in the slightest.   :mellow:

3 hours ago, sonyslave said:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD 

-With love,

"...and don't get me started on the Windows based Touch." Yeah, that's one of biggest pet peeves. I wished they'd gotten on board with Apple a long time ago. I feel like they might be a little sensitive about Apple smart technology. 

3 hours ago, sonyslave said:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD 

-With love,

Sounds like you’d love an X3 or cantar mini 😉

4 hours ago, sonyslave said:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD 

-With love,

Sony, does this mean you have one in your hands? 

Thank you, Martin

I would say there are 10000 decisions to be made when designing a new product that touches so many lives. Not only did we work with many industry leaders in designing the Nova we listened to the feedback after NAB and incorporated many new features that will be announced right before we deliver it. The size of the display and number of faders are key to the overall dimensions. I and many others are very happy with it. The fader encoders will change how bag mixer/recorders are perceived and used. I think its sets a new standard for size,weight, power consumption and features that dare I say will be a "game changer" for both wireless users and mixer/recorder customers. We will  have it out asap. Thank you for your comments Sonyslave.

Glenn

2 hours ago, glenn said:

I would say there are 10000 decisions to be made when designing a new product that touches so many lives. Not only did we work with many industry leaders in designing the Nova we listened to the feedback after NAB and incorporated many new features that will be announced right before we deliver it. The size of the display and number of faders are key to the overall dimensions. I and many others are very happy with it. The fader encoders will change how bag mixer/recorders are perceived and used. I think its sets a new standard for size,weight, power consumption and features that dare I say will be a "game changer" for both wireless users and mixer/recorder customers. We will  have it out asap. Thank you for your comments Sonyslave.

Glenn

Fellow Zaxcommers, 

If the screen is the same one as Nomad, it might have been a choice made to go with the same screen because that was a trusted vendor. Having designed and built a fair amount of electronics, decisions are not as easy as you may think. A few of you are aware that I designed and built my own power distro for the mixer bag. I designed it, I decided what enclosure would be used, I decided what switches, at what level the different color led lights would come on, at what voltage level a light would come on to indicate the decreasing voltage in the battery supply. I did it all. And I'm not crazy about the design, as far as indicator lights, the voltage level they come on with. But I'm not sending anyone an email, because it's me. I had one, just one customer to make happy. Me. And I failed. So, if I can't make me happy building a device with an unlimited budget (how much can you possibly spend building a distro box?) designed for just one customer, what chance does Glenn have designing for thousands of people? 

Would I like the Nomad display bigger? Probably, but that display is very reliable. As far as scratch resistant, I put a clear protective cover over mine. It also makes it more dent proof as well as scratch proof. If you got this far, I will send the first 3 Nomad owners a free protective screen for their Nomad. Send me a message via JWsound, and I will mail it to you. 

Sincerely,  Martin

2 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

As far as scratch resistant, I put a clear protective cover over mine. It also makes it more dent proof as well as scratch proof. If you got this far, I will send the first 3 Nomad owners a free protective screen for their Nomad. Send me a message via JWsound, and I will mail it to you. 

Sincerely,  Martin

Thanks for the offer but I'm good. Still using the same cut down anti glare phone cover that I put on my nomad back in 2012.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:16 AM, sonyslave said:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD 

-With love,

image.png

When you look at the screen there then you could have easily made the screen a half centimeter wide to the left and a half inch wider to the right as well, without even needing to yet start shuffling around the other items on the front panel to make space. This would have made the display an extra 20% bigger. 

The display screen is something we're all using on our recorders more than anything else, constantly looking at it all the time, am sure very few of us would even mind if the overall size of the recorder was increased (but weight was kept nearly the same!) to allow a screen which is double the size. 

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

When you look at the screen there then you could have easily made the screen a half centimeter wide to the left and a half inch wider to the right as well, without even needing to yet start shuffling around the other items on the front panel to make space. This would have made the display an extra 20% bigger. 

That would not be possible due to the electronics that run the display that are in that area. The Nova could be bigger but then it would lose its appeal of being ultra small and light weight. We make a bigger machine the Deva24. With its large touch screen it may be a better choice depending on what the mixing goals are.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

image.png

The display screen is something we're all using on our recorders more than anything else, constantly looking at it all the time, am sure very few of us would even mind if the overall size of the recorder was increased (but weight was kept nearly the same!) to allow a screen which is double the size. 

Iron, You made me smile, if only it was that easy.

Sincerely,  Martin

On 6/24/2019 at 11:54 AM, glenn said:

I would say there are 10000 decisions to be made when designing a new product that touches so many lives. Not only did we work with many industry leaders in designing the Nova we listened to the feedback after NAB and incorporated many new features that will be announced right before we deliver it. The size of the display and number of faders are key to the overall dimensions. I and many others are very happy with it. The fader encoders will change how bag mixer/recorders are perceived and used. I think its sets a new standard for size,weight, power consumption and features that dare I say will be a "game changer" for both wireless users and mixer/recorder customers. We will  have it out asap. Thank you for your comments Sonyslave.

Glenn

I am grabbing a Nova,  but I have to say,  if you look at what zoom has done with f6 and f8,  they fit 6 and 8 faders in a very small space.  I feel like 8 smaller faders for the Nova would have made this product vastly more popular,  many gigs I do run 6 lava and a boom....   8 smaller faders on a Nova would be really really really cool.  

5 faders with what this mixer is capable of puts it in the middle grounds.  8 Smaller faders,  do it, you will love it.  🙂

But the pots on the Nova are not just simple pots... Sure, I donät think I'd like to scroll through banks of faders on rotary encoders on a big mixing project, but then it's the wrong tool for the job. This is a great machine for ENG/Reality jobs, where you have a boom and four wireless, with the possibility for more. There is not mixer to rule them all

2 minutes ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

But the pots on the Nova are not just simple pots... Sure, I donät think I'd like to scroll through banks of faders on rotary encoders on a big mixing project, but then it's the wrong tool for the job. This is a great machine for ENG/Reality jobs, where you have a boom and four wireless, with the possibility for more. There is not mixer to rule them all

I totally agree,  but I also think small pots, or 5 medium and 3 small pots would have been a lot more flexible. The 633 has 6 faders.  

Love the banks,  love the flexibility with the faders, but a little more would have been awesome.

19 hours ago, glenn said:

That would not be possible due to the electronics that run the display that are in that area. The Nova could be bigger but then it would lose its appeal of being ultra small and light weight. We make a bigger machine the Deva24. With its large touch screen it may be a better choice depending on what the mixing goals are.

Why can't the electronics be shifted elsewhere? Or are the connectors bulky and on the sides?

Anyway, the core point is: we live in a day in age when almost everyone has a small compact cellphone in their pocket, which even a 5" screen on it is regarded as "small".

To have a screen which is even smaller than our smallest of small screens that we all carry in our pockets, seems.... rather old fashioned?

This isn't 2009 when 3" screens still seemed like a reasonable size!

6 hours ago, Prahlad Strickland said:

I totally agree,  but I also think small pots, or 5 medium and 3 small pots would have been a lot more flexible.

The 5 pots of the Nomad are set up with instant access of 4 banks of assignable routing allowing 20 channels to be controlled with unparalleled flexibility .  I think it is time to look at faders differently. Nova is a new common sense approach that allows the same fader knob to control fader levels and trims with the same large no compromise knob. All adjustments have a great smooth feel on a spacious non cluttered  control area that we are sure will be a future trend. The single size control knob combined with the channel assignable banks and LED input meters with fader position indication are a defining feature of Nova and one that I am very happy that we went with.

The Nova looks and sounds like an excellent product to me, an all important, significantly increased capability, for significantly less weight has been achieved, we really don't need ever more behemoth recorders to drive ourselves in to the ground, with ever increasing producer demands.

The Zaxcom Nova is really going in the right direction, and no one else is, except perhaps Zoom but with much simpler recorders.

All you complainers are like spoilt brats already moaning about something that you have not even tried yet.....:)

21 hours ago, pindrop said:

The Nova looks and sounds like an excellent product to me, an all important, significantly increased capability, for significantly less weight has been achieved, we really don't need ever more behemoth recorders to drive ourselves in to the ground, with ever increasing producer demands.

The Zaxcom Nova is really going in the right direction, and no one else is, except perhaps Zoom but with much simpler recorders.

All you complainers are like spoilt brats already moaning about something that you have not even tried yet.....:)

I wouldn't look at it as complaints. It's constructive criticism. Mine is not about 1 product in particular. I really just would like to see Zaxcom finally utilize Apple iOS products like iPhone and iPad capability to be able to severely attack competitiveness of Sound Devices. 

On 6/26/2019 at 1:34 AM, Prahlad Strickland said:

I totally agree,  but I also think small pots, or 5 medium and 3 small pots would have been a lot more flexible. The 633 has 6 faders.  

Love the banks,  love the flexibility with the faders, but a little more would have been awesome.

Have you ever used the three pop up faders on the 633, they're close to worthless if you have adult sized hands. I think once we get a chance to use the selectable banks it will become incredibly fast to work with the rotary encoders.