nova!

Olle Sjostrom

5 hours ago, glenn said:

The Nova is also smart enough to ignore banks that have no assignments.

Thanks Glenn, I've been meaning to ask about this. For the most part I don't imagine using more then two banks.

Will the autopick feature also be able to be applied to extra QRX200, TRX/ZMT attached? This is one of my favourite features on my RX12. 

Also recall reading that track names will be able to be sent to the TRX/ZMT with corresponding Z-net ID, or was I dreaming. If this is possible, pretty please could it also work with external QRX hooked up to the Nova. I'd be a super happy soundie if it could also be implemented into the RX12 and Nomad. 

14 hours ago, daniel said:

Does switching between banks take all 5 pots or just the ones you want?

I too wonder about this. And I think I've come to the conclusion that even if you could cycle each encoder individually (say 1 is zaxnet gain and 2 is channel volume etc, different colors for each encoder indicating they control different values) I wouldn't want that. I think it just overcomplicates thing to a point where I probably couldn't confidently navigate the unit and deliver good quality. Sure, you can learn anything, but the level of complexity cycling every encoder individually would introduce would be.. Too much for me. I'd much rather have to cycle through banks of five to get to the control value I want, even in a stressful situation. It narrows down the margin of error by a lot, in my head at least. 

However, I would love to be able to program the banks myself. Meaning I would like to have the ability to say

Bank 1 should be channel volume 1-5, Bank 2 input trim for 1-5,

Bank 3 pan 1-5 etc.

Or

Bank 1 channel volume 1-3, and trim for 1-2,

Bank 2 Zaxnet gain for 2-5 and gain for output 1

So scrolling through banks, I would know which banks do what and so forth... 

But scrolling, switching between banks should always scroll all of the encoders IMO 

addendum:

Well, posted before I read Glenn's post. 

You assign the inputs to the  5 faders on up to 4 banks. Once assigned the trim button and the zaxnet button instantly make all 5 faders control trim or Zaxnet if selected. The function is then deactivated and the 5 knobs become faders again. LED rings and flashing buttons indicate that the trim or zaxnet control is active. 

5 hours ago, Nate C said:

Will the autopick feature also be able to be applied to extra QRX200, TRX/ZMT attached? This is one of my favourite features on my RX12. 

There are some very new and very special features coming for the receivers in the Nova - unfortunately I'm not at liberty to discuss what it is at the moment - but I beleive you will be quite pleased.

3 hours ago, Solid Goldberger said:

@Jack Norflus @glenn Any idea how far off these are from beginning to ship?

I too would love to know when they're going to be begin shipping. 
I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. 

Bravo to the whole team at Zaxcom for creating a mixer/recorder that will be a huge quality of life improvement for us mixers who where a bag on our backs all day! 

12 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

There are some very new and very special features coming for the receivers in the Nova - unfortunately I'm not at liberty to discuss what it is at the moment - but I beleive you will be quite pleased.

Thanks Jack. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Look forward to adding a Nova to my workflow. 

19 hours ago, glenn said:

You assign the inputs to the  5 faders on up to 4 banks. Once assigned the trim button and the zaxnet button instantly make all 5 faders control trim or Zaxnet if selected. The function is then deactivated and the 5 knobs become faders again. LED rings and flashing buttons indicate that the trim or zaxnet control is active. 

That sounds great! And you can configure which encoder controls which input in all the banks? 

2 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

Yes

So if you dont want a fader to move when you change banks..... you program the same thing on many or all of the banks, so if, say, you always want the boom mic on Fader 1 on all banks... just program it in there on all of the banks. Simples 😉

On 6/29/2019 at 4:54 PM, Bash said:

So if you dont want a fader to move when you change banks..... you program the same thing on many or all of the banks, so if, say, you always want the boom mic on Fader 1 on all banks... just program it in there on all of the banks. Simples 😉

Great! As I've transitioned into radio I've been working a bit with the Digico SD11, and it works sort of the same only even more complex of course, but that's a great feature that you can configure all the banks. 

On 6/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, Robert Bluemke said:

Have you ever used the three pop up faders on the 633, they're close to worthless if you have adult sized hands. I think once we get a chance to use the selectable banks it will become incredibly fast to work with the rotary encoders.

Yeh they r def a pain to Use.  

I think like u said once in hand banking will be quick and easy.   I’m looking forward to auto freqing between bag and tx. 

On 6/26/2019 at 5:05 AM, glenn said:

The 5 pots of the Nomad are set up with instant access of 4 banks of assignable routing allowing 20 channels to be controlled with unparalleled flexibility .  I think it is time to look at faders differently. Nova is a new common sense approach that allows the same fader knob to control fader levels and trims with the same large no compromise knob. All adjustments have a great smooth feel on a spacious non cluttered  control area that we are sure will be a future trend. The single size control knob combined with the channel assignable banks and LED input meters with fader position indication are a defining feature of Nova and one that I am very happy that we went with.

I agree.  Banked faders may take some getting used to in production, if they are silent, then they can easily be as or more efficient than other solutions.  Motorized and banked faders are common in the rest of the audio industry and imo are a welcome step forward for location sound.   Miniature rotary knobs are not a solution for me.

Through flexibility being able to keep a couple faders static and bank through other options on the other faders is fantastic.

It may not apply to everyone here, but I am in a middle market and the work I do from one day to the next can vary wildly.  Flexibility, control, and efficiency are key for me.

I look forward to seeing the Nova in person.

For those who have hands-on Nova experience so far: 

Does the dynamic banking effectively eliminate the need for a FP8-style hardware add on? I usually run 6-8 wireless on any given day and the V-Faders of my Nomads are too cumbersome for quick, on the fly adjustments and the FP8 (for my setup) is overkill. 

I’ve read the thread and watched the video but the precise functionality of the banking/non-autotrim is still shrouded in a little mystery. 

Any first hand knowledge of this Nova workflow with more than 5 wireless would be a great help. 

Cheers,

Evan

There is no need or option for an FP8 or any fader add on. The 5 faders provide instant access to all Nova inputs. All of the assigned channels can then have their inputs trimmed or the wireless transmitters preamps trimmed on the same knob while in use on the talent. This system establishes a new way to mix that we think will obsolete the current system of rotary pot control for bag style mixers. Please feel free to call me if you have further questions.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:33 AM, glenn said:

There is no need or option for an FP8 or any fader add on. The 5 faders provide instant access to all Nova inputs. All of the assigned channels can then have their inputs trimmed or the wireless transmitters preamps trimmed on the same knob while in use on the talent. This system establishes a new way to mix that we think will obsolete the current system of rotary pot control for bag style mixers. Please feel free to call me if you have further questions.

And the Oasis?

3 hours ago, ramallo said:

On 7/16/2019 at 11:33 PM, glenn said:

3 hours ago, ramallo said:

And the Oasis?

Yes exactly, hoping Oasis is going to work with the Nova as when cart based slide faders are better than rotary faders?
But I'm guessing Glenn you don't mean 'no need for any fader add on' to include the Oasis, you mean no rotary fader add on?

• 2 weeks later...