nova!

Olle Sjostrom

I'm disgusted...mainly because I want one and I don't think I'll be able to afford.

Does anyone know what a Nomad 10 and a QRX would go for? I have to keep my TRX's. I'm not totally sure I;d want to pull the trigger but I'm rather curious. 

7 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Unfortunate choice of name....

What is being referred to here for those who don’t know is that the Chevrolet Nova did not do well in Spanish speaking countries because No Va means “doesn’t go”. However the Van did very well because it means “we go” ;)

4 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Does the Nova Zaxnet still transmit audio? I notice they call it a "remote control" so I'm wondering if it still works like the Nomad's Zaxnet.

It's a regular Zaxnet transmitter. It does indeed transmit audio to ERX's

Don't forget the built in Micplexer as well, which apparently will have external output for additional external receivers, however not fully confirmed, and doesn't seem to be apparent on the available photos so far, so that's a bit of a mystery?

Are the 6 push buttons user assignable, anyone know?

Is it goodbye Nomad like 'mode' choices, so the Nova 12 record tracks can be assigned to any 12 inputs, say 4 analog and 8 AES (4 internal plus 4 external) without sacrificing Zaxnet or Neverclip or returns?

I was hoping that they would step up their user interface design…

Nova_front-1920_1080.png

I once considered saving up for the Maxx, but Zaxcom’s cluttered UI annoys me. It honestly doesn’t make much impact compared to, say, preamp quality. And I’m probably alone in my opinion.

Though from paging through the Maxx manual, I can’t help but spot the flaws. An unnecessarily large battery indicator, using large words instead of ⏹ ▶️ ⏺ symbols for some reason, matrix icons that barely have contrast between toggle states, AutoTrim indicators that almost blend in with the black meter background, the addition of visual clutter when unarmed tracks are crossed out with yellow lines… I can’t imagine using a Maxx or the Nova without it confusing or annoying me occasionally.

No offense meant to Zaxcom users who find the design works well or just fine, seriously, and not everything has to be pretty. But to my eyes, it pales compared to similarly-/lower-priced recorders from Sound Devices and Zoom (dare I say, even the F4 to some extent) that have more efficient and better-thought graphical user interfaces. For something I’ll use 12 hours per work day, I’m more inclined to invest in those recorders.

Sorry for a rant, but hopefully it’s constructive.

Saw it today at NAB.  Very slick unit!  Shout out to the Zaxcom guys who went above and beyond answering the plethora of questions I had about it (Being a Sound Devices / Lectro guy, I only knew about Zaxnet in theory and not execution).  The walkaway gist I got from it was that if you do bag work primarily, you could buy the unit, one or two zax modules (+ corresponding transmitters), and then one of there zaxnet compatible receivers for camera hop / scratch / IFB and you'd be set.  That being said, obviously an external UHF transmitter for hops / IFB would be preferable for congested environments and/or longer distance.  Also nice that it has AES so you could throw it on a cart for lots of channel work and then simply disconnect the AES / any external antennas, toss it in a bag and go do car work etc.  Cool that their new transmitter can support two lavs simultaneously in one transmitter which would be great for mic'ing vehicles.

1 hour ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

Nova_front-1920_1080.png

I once considered saving up for the Maxx, but Zaxcom’s cluttered UI annoys me. It honestly doesn’t make much impact compared to, say, preamp quality. And I’m probably alone in my opinion.

Though from paging through the Maxx manual, I can’t help but spot the flaws. An unnecessarily large battery indicator, using large words instead of ⏹ ▶️ ⏺ symbols for some reason, matrix icons that barely have contrast between toggle states, AutoTrim indicators that almost blend in with the black meter background, the addition of visual clutter when unarmed tracks are crossed out with yellow lines… I can’t imagine using a Maxx or the Nova without it confusing or annoying me occasionally.

No offense meant to Zaxcom users who find the design works well or just fine, seriously, and not everything has to be pretty. But to my eyes, it pales compared to similarly-/lower-priced recorders from Sound Devices and Zoom (dare I say, even the F4 to some extent) that have more efficient and better-thought graphical user interfaces. For something I’ll use 12 hours per work day, I’m more inclined to invest in those recorders.

Sorry for a rant, but hopefully it’s constructive.

I kinda agree with you Daniel, however I have heard that currently it is largely based on the Nomad UI but they're still in the process of changing this and it could be more Deva like when it finally is shipping. So perhaps there is still hope for you?

4 hours ago, pindrop said:

Don't forget the built in Micplexer as well, which apparently will have external output for additional external receivers, however not fully confirmed, and doesn't seem to be apparent on the available photos so far, so that's a bit of a mystery?

Are the 6 push buttons user assignable, anyone know?

Is it goodbye Nomad like 'mode' choices, so the Nova 12 record tracks can be assigned to any 12 inputs, say 4 analog and 8 AES (4 internal plus 4 external) without sacrificing Zaxnet or Neverclip or returns?

Yes there will be two SMA post MIcplexor RF outs.

Yes the buttons are user assignable - and they can have different functions in some menus.

There are no mode limitations. Nova has several additional and faster processors,

48 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I kinda agree with you Daniel, however I have heard that currently it is largely based on the Nomad UI but they're still in the process of changing this and it could be more Deva like when it finally is shipping. So perhaps there is still hope for you?

Correct - there is still work left to do on the software and the UI. 

11 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

Is it 4 mic inputs + 2 line inputs + 4 wireless? 

I hope so - that would make sense since there are 12 available channels. 

Or or does using the wireless receivers make it impossible to use all the analog I/O?

-Mike

There are 4 AES pairs (8 total AES inputs)

The receivers use 2 pairs (4 channels of audio) and there are 2 pair that come in via the DB connector. If you chose not to use the internal receivers you can get an adaptor to use the receiver inputs as another 2 AES pairs.

There are 6 total analog inputs with 4 of them having neverclip A to D converts.

2 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

the more I think about it, the more I want one... darn!

Feel the same way but the reality check ($) for me/those with no Zaxcom already in their inventory is:

1 x Nova  =  5000

2 x QRX212 = 3500

4 x Zax TX = 7-8000

All in: 16500 usd/gbp

Yes, I hope they give the UI a major overhaul and leave the windows 95 era for good. I used to have a max and you do get used to it and even appreciate some of the features (like showing limiter ballistics) and utilitarian quality of it but yes it’s a bit garish and here in this nice looking piece of new hardware, a bit out of place. 

8 hours ago, Daniel Ignacio said:

This. When I bought my Maxx I had to read the manual, and ask people online how to do basic functions. I still get super lost in the Nomad menus. Plus I'd love to see case designs improve to include weather sealing and laser engraving for ports. 

I personally am a creature of habit and have been all zaxcom wireless but sound devices recorders - this is the first recorder that fits everything for the work i do where i can see i will make the switch. If i see correctly it will xmit audio and tc over zaxnet for erx's but a camera link trx would still be needed for stereo digital and tc for rx200's?

Just now, osa said:

I personally am a creature of habit and have been all zaxcom wireless but sound devices recorders - this is the first recorder that fits everything for the work i do where i can see i will make the switch. If i see correctly it will xmit audio and tc over zaxnet for erx's but a camera link trx would still be needed for stereo digital and tc for rx200's?

Correct.