Zaxcom ZMT3-X

Olle Sjostrom

1 hour ago, Wandering Ear said:

While 3.3v may not "technically" be up to spec for some mics, in practice the 4060 performs just fine.  I am using a 4061 on a zmt3 as I type this and it sounds great.

Great to hear, as I already have some Microdot 4060s. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

While 3.3v may not "technically" be up to spec for some mics, in practice the 4060 performs just fine.  I am using a 4061 on a zmt3 as I type this and it sounds great.

Like Kelsey, I'm running 4060s and 4061s with my TRXLA3s and ZMT3s without any issues.

15 hours ago, Karri said:

The transmitter only outputs 3.3 V though, according to the specs? So wouldn't this rule out the 4060 for instance? Or am I missing something (I'm not the most electronics-savvy I'll admit)?

At NAB, in a discussion with one of the savvy DPA factory gurus, it became apparent that there is much more to it than just some basic numbers that we end users bandy about.  Rather than try to recreate what he said about voltage, headroom, impedance, distortion, etc. -- and not do it justice -- allow me to share the basic summation of his comments on 5v. vs 3v. powering:

Bottom line:  If it works, and your ears are in agreement, use it and enjoy the great sound.  

• 2 months later...

I do like to add one to my kit. All my mics are lemo (sanken and VTs) is there an adapter cable out yet? I do wire all my things by myself, but don't know if it pays off to add the microdot tools to my arsenal... 

Any thoughts of you colleges who did similar? 

1 hour ago, Jakobk said:

I do like to add one to my kit. All my mics are lemo (sanken and VTs) is there an adapter cable out yet? I do wire all my things by myself, but don't know if it pays off to add the microdot tools to my arsenal... 

Doesn’t the ZMT also have a Lemo input? Why do you need to re-wire them?

5 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

It is my understanding that the ZMT line of transmitters do have Lemo connectors with the exception of the ZMT Flex and the ZMT-X ---  those specialized models have only microdot connectors.

Oh I see! Yes, you are right. Well in that case... yes converting mics to MicroDot makes a lot of sense. 

Sorry, I‘ll just get out of here

• 1 month later...

I added some ZMT3 X to my kit and i have to say, i love them. I also converted some of my cos11 to microdot wich was no problem at all.

The transmitter get less warm than the trxla ( i had some actors complaining but i think it never was a real issue) and size, form and weight are super nice and easy to handle.

I also used dpa 6061 with it and they sounded great. No issues. 

The only thing i wish, and i talked to Howard from Zaxcom already about it, is to have separate gain control for the two inputs. But the preamp is super clean and it is no problem to use digital gain on my nomad...

Also the charger bay from Motorola is quite big, but you don´t really need that portable since there is no need to change battery... 😄

I am really happy you like the Zmt3 X. I worked really hard on the gasket design to keep water out. For anyone that wants 12 hour run time at full 75mW output power this little guy does it with average battery cost under 10 cents per use. It is our first Neverclip bodypack with 2 channel transmission and 2 separate mic inputs. And who does not like Motorola Batteries and chargers.😊

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...