Premiere/Audition export to Pro Tools

Thomas Farmer

Hi there, I am pretty new to both post sound and Pro Tools software with pretty low-level/amateur knowledge of both. I have a film that has been edited in the latest version of Premiere with all the linked audio files attached. I tried to export both an OMF and an AAF however I can not get everything to transfer over correctly. 

This link provides what I am experiencing. Scroll down to Issue 4: "When an AAF links to source media, Premiere points to multi-channel audio files, which Pro Tools doesn’t support." Everything transfers over in sync and in the correct placements, but nothing is linked, all the clips are blank, and I am not able to re-link any of the offline files. 

https://www.proaudiogirl.com/common-audio-issues-with-premiere/

It doesn't exactly provide a solution though. Or at least not that I have figured out. 

For additional info, I am on Windows 10, the audio files in the Premiere export are all polywav, and I am on Pro Tools 12.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi Thomas,

If you are running PT12 Ultimate you could use EdiLoad in conjunction with the PT Field Recorder features to get PT to build the assembly itself - linking to the location poly WAVs.

This process requires exporting one or more EDLs from Premiere which are loaded into EdiLoad. EdiLoad can "clean" the edit (remove duplicates and non-location events etc) to export a "conform reference track" in a PT session. Pro Tools then uses this track to assemble the clips pointing to the original location WAVs which can be poly WAVs. Here is a link to a blog post that contains a video that goes through the whole process:

https://www.soundsinsync.com/blog/conforming-location-wav-files-with-ediload-and-pro-tools

BTW I am the creator of EdiLoad, but have also worked as a dialogue and effects editor in film and TV post for over 20 years.

Regards,

Mark