Sanken CMS-50, a very compact Mid-Side shotgun for US$1750 (coming this June)

IronFilm

9 hours ago, r.paterson said:

I cant recommend the Pearl.MSH 10 enough..its not that compact a bit longer than a sennheiser 8060 fits in a rycote 2 basket ..the hyper (M) capsule is great in mono int and ext.. The S has about the same S/n as the schoeps fig 8 the M is very quiet..the very latest version has good RFI protection..older versions can have new RFI board fitted..

Interesting. What winshield and suspension do you use with this mic?

1 hour ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Interesting. What winshield and suspension do you use with this mic?

I use the rycote #2 windshield kit and suspension..and a rycote inv-9 for when interior ..the pearl msh 10 is a tad too long for the Rycote windshield #1..its the same diam as the neumann rsm 191 so quite a thick mic..i havent found any other manufacturer that does a suspension for that mic diam 29mm.

23 hours ago, r.paterson said:

I use the rycote #2 windshield kit and suspension..and a rycote inv-9 for when interior ..the pearl msh 10 is a tad too long for the Rycote windshield #1..its the same diam as the neumann rsm 191 so quite a thick mic..i havent found any other manufacturer that does a suspension for that mic diam 29mm.

Thanks for your help.

Could you measure the length of the interference tube for me? I would like to try the Pearl.MSH 10 with a Bublebee windkiller.

1 hour ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Thanks for your help.

Could you measure the length of the interference tube for me? I would like to try the Pearl.MSH 10 with a Bublebee windkiller.

I try and do it tomorrow! ..bubblebee dont make a windkiller that dism 29mm however i believe they made a bespoke version for neumann rsm191 which is the same diam 29-30mm..i use bubble spacer /fur and also windkiller on all my other mics very impressed with them...

16 hours ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Thanks for your help.

The interference tube length is 65mm 

20200506_130705.jpg

20200506_130550.jpg

Edited by r.paterson
Add another picture

• 6 months later...

I was wondering which would be the best microphone to shoot a documentary with some dialogues and some nature too. I use to be one man band because I think that is easier to catch the reality and some intimance of the people been filmed. So I usually use camera with a on camera mic as the rode videomic ntg. But I really miss the stereo ambience sound and put a stereo mic on top becomes a little heavy and big. Should be Sanken CMS-50 or Pearl MSH 10 a good choiche for me? or will it be better to go with a rode ntg5 and xy for the stereo?

Thanks

Yes it is true but in many cases I am filming many peoples and with a shotgun mic the difference between who is in the center and other people is too much and in other cases maybe I am filming someone who is doing his work and I would capture sound together with voice because it would be too much difficult for me to recreate the sound in post... Maybe there are some cows behind my subject or maybe he is feeding geese... Is in those cases a good option m+s as the only audio source? 

And if it is is it better the newer sanken CMS-50 or the pearl MSH10?

I have already experienced the h5 with ssh ms capsule but it is very self nois and not so good mic...

Thanks in advice.

We often used the Sennheiser MKH418 or the comparable AudioTechnica BP4029 for small crew doco projects.

Both are easy to handle M/S shotgun combos.

Sure, they lack the wide stereo athmo of separate stereo recordings, but I still like what we did.

Also, it's not the most quiet M/S combo, but still nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently purchased the cms-50 and I quickly found I love it. For stereo sfx I have been gathering lately with it, I diy’ed a Zepplin rycote no10 with older style suspension and i paired it with a dpa 4015 wide cardioid capsule. The newer lyre clips positioned the mics too high in the basket. The wide stereo image is amazing in this configuration and also the low end from the 4015 makes it a really unique, well balanced stereo sound. I took a dremel tool to the rycode piggyback clip to help it clear the basket inside. I know not the best zeppelin for this purpose but this particular combo of light weight and beautiful stereo sound of this rig is now my goto for sfx. 

i did compare the cardioid in an interview recently using a stereo pole and a csm1. I used the same rycote rig and did a bunch of interviews all female voices outdoors. While I plan to continue doing these tests with multiple mics in different situations in the future, this shoot in particular I found I ended up using the cardioid mic for every single interview except for one. While I love the csm1, In comparing the two microphones the CSM1 I found to be really lower-mid range heavy during these particular interviews and was actually picking up the lower mid range rumble of traffic in the distance. The cardioid of the CMS-50 was the winner with less of that lower mid range and an overall well rounded natural voice sound for these particular female voices, and just enough directional reach for these interviews with the mics positioned directly overhead and tight framing. The one interview where I felt the CSM1 was the better choice of the 2x mics was someone who was very soft spoken. The csm1 did a good job of filling in the audible missing pieces. Ultimately I predict the cardioid of the cms-50 Will come in handy in a lot of situations especially being able to A/B in real time on a stereo pole. As far as Midside mics this one is a winner and I highly recommend. 

F9EF0902-68E2-470D-BB81-1093CEB47D7F.jpeg

F1E5F224-518C-4774-81F7-F8D35116ABF4.jpeg

• 1 year later...