New Deity W Lav

dgirtsman

44 minutes ago, dgirtsman said:

I'm very interested to see how the W Lav Micro holds up against a cos-11.

some more info on these:

personally I don't quite see the point of getting an off brand mic for 240USD, I'd rather spend an extra hundred and get the real deal.

what's really missing for me is a decent lav in the 50-100USD range that I can recommend to film students and solo shooters.

chris

23 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

personally I don't quite see the point of getting an off brand mic for 240USD, I'd rather spend an extra hundred and get the real deal.

what's really missing for me is a decent lav in the 50-100USD range that I can recommend to film students and solo shooters.

chris

http://oscarsoundtech.com

These are good and cheap.

These lavaliers are super cheap, the 239€ ones are - supposedly - competing with the 6060 ones, and the 189$ ones (whatever he said) are "competing" with the 4060 ones.

I do not know how they sound, and I am definitely going to have some 6060 soon, but for the money of 2 6060 one can buy 5 of those and have a full set for cheap.

Aputure Deity is very aggressive with everything at the moment.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

http://oscarsoundtech.com

These are good and cheap.

unfortunately in europe they run near 200EUR, and direct import is still about 150EUR with awkward repair/warranty situation. 

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

These lavaliers are super cheap, the 239€ ones are - supposedly - competing with the 6060 ones, and the 189$ ones (whatever he said) are "competing" with the 4060 ones.

well, a new manufacturer with no former experience claims their products matches one of the bests lavs out there at half of the cost?

somehow I'm rather sceptical of that claim, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, chrismedr said:

unfortunately in europe they run near 200EUR, and direct import is still about 150EUR with awkward repair/warranty situation. 

I can totally vouch for OST, having ordered about ten of their lavs to Germany, repair and replacement was very easy, their service was fantastic. That was a few years ago but I suppose it's still like that. They're not DPAs of course and they also break, but the value is still terrific. The TL 40 is small but the cable is pretty thick and, depending on their stock and color, can be a bit stiff, soundwise a bit on the thin side, great on very bassy male voices or if buried deeply. My go to mic for necktie mounting, where a 4060 would usually sound too bassy/low-middy. Not an all round lav but always good to have a few of these in your kit.

10 minutes ago, Christian Spaeth said:

I can totally vouch for OST, having ordered about ten of their lavs to Germany, repair and replacement was very easy, their service was fantastic. 

Ah, I'm sorry if it sounded I'm sceptical about the service of OST, that was never my intention.

I was rather talking about the hassle and cost of importing things from the US to Germany in general:

In my experience it's a 3 hour trip to customs on the first import (plus about 30EUR on a 100EUR item in taxes), and then on repairs if you're unlucky the same thing repeats (even if I could convince the tax office that it was only sent for repairs it's still a 3 hour trip). At least with a Lav shipping cost should be manageable.

I'm sure they are fine mics and if I could get them locally for 100EUR I'd order a few.

8 hours ago, chrismedr said:

Ah, I'm sorry if it sounded I'm sceptical about the service of OST, that was never my intention.

I was rather talking about the hassle and cost of importing things from the US to Germany in general:

In my experience it's a 3 hour trip to customs on the first import (plus about 30EUR on a 100EUR item in taxes), and then on repairs if you're unlucky the same thing repeats (even if I could convince the tax office that it was only sent for repairs it's still a 3 hour trip). At least with a Lav shipping cost should be manageable.

I'm sure they are fine mics and if I could get them locally for 100EUR I'd order a few.

Then you need to learn how to import things, it needn’t be difficult. First, write to the customs office in Dresden (address on website) and get an EORI number. It’s free and you don’t need a company or whatever. Then, get an account with the major parcel services, UPS, FedEx, etc. Once they know you and have your EORI they‘ll do the customs stuff for you. Provided that the shipper has also included all info needed with the shipping docs, but a manufacturer or a shop (like Trew or Gotham, et al) know how to do this. 

Then it‘s really easy. 

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

Then you need to learn how to import things, it needn’t be difficult. First, write to the customs office in Dresden (address on website) and get an EORI number. It’s free and you don’t need a company or whatever. Then, get an account with the major parcel services, UPS, FedEx, etc. Once they know you and have your EORI they‘ll do the customs stuff for you. Provided that the shipper has also included all info needed with the shipping docs, but a manufacturer or a shop (like Trew or Gotham, et al) know how to do this. 

Then it‘s really easy. 

cool, didn't know about that. I'll try that, thanks for the tip.

but it will likely raise the price even more (fedex will also charge a fee) and it still leaves me without good lav option in the 50-100EUR range that I can recommend to students and beginner filmmakers.

chris

8 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

cool, didn't know about that. I'll try that, thanks for the tip.

but it will likely raise the price even more (fedex will also charge a fee) and it still leaves me without good lav option in the 50-100EUR range that I can recommend to students and beginner filmmakers.

chris

Maybe Deity had you and your students in mind when will have locally their W series that probably will start from double digit price!

Joke aside, there are a lot of options under 99€ from Audio Technica, cheaper Sennheisers and Sonys that we all have used at some point in our professional career, probably Rode and other brands also have ok offerings e.t.c 

Now, if you want a DPA 6060 performer for 99€, then nope, that is not possible.

18 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

DPA 6060 performer for 99€, then nope, that is not possible.

That completely depends on the economy of scale and a couple of other factors. I wouldn't say all the way down to 99 EUR, but I am pretty sure part of the high price at the moment is also because they CAN do that (ask a premium price). 

1 hour ago, Vincent R. said:

That completely depends on the economy of scale and a couple of other factors. I wouldn't say all the way down to 99 EUR, but I am pretty sure part of the high price at the moment is also because they CAN do that (ask a premium price). 

We definitely have to listen to them first, but the first Aputure Deity was advertised as a 416 killer, and shamefuly copied the same design for no particular reason at all, and those mics internally had nothing in common at all.

Aputure admitted that and had a second version in less than a year. Now they are moving to a 3rd shorter version I see.

I can see how a wireless system can be cheaper nowdays, and that is why I am interested in their system, but I am being sceptical of a brand that in 2-3 years is covering the whole market, in all designs (they even will produce a studio/vlog mic with multiple patterns!), for 1/3 or less of the price of established manufacturers.

Until now I haven't "heard" anything impressive by them, maybe some designs undercut a few Audio Technica/Rode options - which were never in my radar anyway - especially price wise, but my impression is that they experiment with our pockets and time.

Of, course, I believe there is a hefty premium in the market and depending the brand some top options are quite expensive, but as we have discuss in here, that is relatively relative!

DPA 6060 are very expensive, but in my opinion seem to tick the most boxes, that is why I will "invest" on a few of those. If the Deity will be close in performance, for half the price, I may get some of those too!

I said I am sceptical, not dogmatic.

3 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Aputure admitted that and had a second version in less than a year. Now they are moving to a 3rd shorter version I see.

It is also not Aputure anymore. Same mother company, completely different team. Being sceptic/critical is healthy, nothing wrong with that. Although Deity Hire me from time to time, I am not an official spoke person for them, which is good, my opinions are my own, which I will give now:
Loads of manufactures make the products in China, no surprise there. Deity is no different. Tho, the problem with most of the "cheap as shit" equipment coming from there, is lack of, well, how we call that, "vision", of what they are actually making. They just copy some "cosmetic" specifications of what is out there. For example if we take the topic of discussion here, they make also a 3mm lav, just because the competition does so. Indeed that says shit about how it sounds or the build quality, the cables they use or what not. Over a year ago they (the mother company) did a smart move, first by separating the brand and team from the light company. There is a dedicated team of audio and RF engineers working on the products now in china, as well as there has been set up a California branch. The CA/USA branch is being led by Andrew Jones. He is "one of us", an audio recordist/mixer/engineer, also a member of this board by the way. Most of the ideas come from the US team and they are actually the first critical beta testers. So to come back to the "vision", they provide that from the US, correcting the errors being made, going back and forth with ideas for revisions, etc etc. 
If I would take the liberty to describe the "mission" of Deity, is to combine the benefits of overseas manufacturing, with the vision of actual field users. This is nothing new or exotic, but not that common for our industry perhaps. Indeed the second part of that mission is to be affordable. Like I mentioned before, the Deity -3mm lav probably will not be a 1 to 1 exact replacement for a 6060 in therms of audible quality, but the aim is to at least make a more affordable alternative, without compromising on audio quality.

As you see their product line they are in a split; are they for us "pro" audio engineers for motion picture/television or are they targeting the youtuber/videographer etc? Personally I think that whole 2 way thinking is kinda getting old school thinking. Like you mentioned before it happend to other industries as well, like the camera department. 10 years ago the DSLR's became a "thing", those are/were crap, but they revolutionised/evolutionized the industry, in the sense that after that lower cost higher image quality cameras came out with bells and whistles that we only could dream off before '09. It doesn't mean the high-end products are going away, but indeed the "lower end" stuff is not crap anymore. 
My point: I still have an old Sennheiser "video mic" from like 18 years ago, with a small coin cell battery and really crappy sound. That was at the time the only option for a "external" microphone on DV cameras. Now Deity has 2 mics out competing in this segment, sounding waaays better and more affordable. So that is obviously for the "videographer" crowd. But the same philosophy applies to the, let us call it the ENG quality line of products. We had 1-2 options for wireless (sennheiser G series, Sony), but everything cheaper than that, would be crap. So they came out with a line to do it well and price competitive due to aforementioned reasons. Same for the shotgun/hypercard/lav mics, well you get what I mean I suppose.

All in all, personally I am pretty excited about this. Coming from a music background, we had this revolution/evolution in the 90's when I started out. All of the sudden the ADAT came out, an affordable high quality 8 tracker, lower cost preamps, mics, etc. I was always on the fence on why this didn't happen yet for our line of work. I reckon this was because the market is way smaller, but the fact that the camera department became more "democratic" in therms of price/quality ratio, paved the way to get that going on for the sound department as well. The SD mix pre series is the most popular device of Sound Devices, both in therms of units sold, as well as pure income for the company. 

My 2 cents, and my 2 cents only (again, no spoke person for Deity). 

41 minutes ago, Vincent R. said:

It is also not Aputure anymore. Same mother company, completely different team. Being sceptic/critical is healthy, nothing wrong with that. Although Deity Hire me from time to time, I am not an official spoke person for them, which is good, my opinions are my own, which I will give now:
Loads of manufactures make the products in China, no surprise there. Deity is no different. Tho, the problem with most of the "cheap as shit" equipment coming from there, is lack of, well, how we call that, "vision", of what they are actually making. They just copy some "cosmetic" specifications of what is out there. For example if we take the topic of discussion here, they make also a 3mm lav, just because the competition does so. Indeed that says shit about how it sounds or the build quality, the cables they use or what not. Over a year ago they (the mother company) did a smart move, first by separating the brand and team from the light company. There is a dedicated team of audio and RF engineers working on the products now in china, as well as there has been set up a California branch. The CA/USA branch is being led by Andrew Jones. He is "one of us", an audio recordist/mixer/engineer, also a member of this board by the way. Most of the ideas come from the US team and they are actually the first critical beta testers. So to come back to the "vision", they provide that from the US, correcting the errors being made, going back and forth with ideas for revisions, etc etc. 
If I would take the liberty to describe the "mission" of Deity, is to combine the benefits of overseas manufacturing, with the vision of actual field users. This is nothing new or exotic, but not that common for our industry perhaps. Indeed the second part of that mission is to be affordable. Like I mentioned before, the Deity -3mm lav probably will not be a 1 to 1 exact replacement for a 6060 in therms of audible quality, but the aim is to at least make a more affordable alternative, without compromising on audio quality.

As you see their product line they are in a split; are they for us "pro" audio engineers for motion picture/television or are they targeting the youtuber/videographer etc? Personally I think that whole 2 way thinking is kinda getting old school thinking. Like you mentioned before it happend to other industries as well, like the camera department. 10 years ago the DSLR's became a "thing", those are/were crap, but they revolutionised/evolutionized the industry, in the sense that after that lower cost higher image quality cameras came out with bells and whistles that we only could dream off before '09. It doesn't mean the high-end products are going away, but indeed the "lower end" stuff is not crap anymore. 
My point: I still have an old Sennheiser "video mic" from like 18 years ago, with a small coin cell battery and really crappy sound. That was at the time the only option for a "external" microphone on DV cameras. Now Deity has 2 mics out competing in this segment, sounding waaays better and more affordable. So that is obviously for the "videographer" crowd. But the same philosophy applies to the, let us call it the ENG quality line of products. We had 1-2 options for wireless (sennheiser G series, Sony), but everything cheaper than that, would be crap. So they came out with a line to do it well and price competitive due to aforementioned reasons. Same for the shotgun/hypercard/lav mics, well you get what I mean I suppose.

All in all, personally I am pretty excited about this. Coming from a music background, we had this revolution/evolution in the 90's when I started out. All of the sudden the ADAT came out, an affordable high quality 8 tracker, lower cost preamps, mics, etc. I was always on the fence on why this didn't happen yet for our line of work. I reckon this was because the market is way smaller, but the fact that the camera department became more "democratic" in therms of price/quality ratio, paved the way to get that going on for the sound department as well. The SD mix pre series is the most popular device of Sound Devices, both in therms of units sold, as well as pure income for the company. 

My 2 cents, and my 2 cents only (again, no spoke person for Deity). 

Thank you for the insight.

I said earlier also that it is an exciting time for young people making it into our business. When I started 20 years ago, "normal" pricing pro equipment was non existent.

There are a lot of products to be announced soon and we will see how it goes.

I am buying into Sanken CS-M1 (+Cinela) and 6060 to add to my arsenal, shall I pause and wait for the Deity alternatives? Or go on with my decisions?

The whole industry is evolving right now (in both sight and sound), companies like Aputure/Deity/Yongnuo/DJI certainly will stir the industry a lot more and blur lines and borders even further. 

All in all exciting times, I am waiting to "hear" their new products.

P.s wasn't me about the 5Dmkii!

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I am buying into Sanken CS-M1 (+Cinela) and 6060 to add to my arsenal, shall I pause and wait for the Deity alternatives? Or go on with my decisions

That is really personal. About the upcoming small shotgun of Deity; the idea is that it will sound similar to the existing S-MIC2, so if you wanna have an idea you have to check that one out. The price will be the same.

The mini lav 3mm shown at NAB was a prototype. Like I mentioned before this will be perfected and changed according to feedback. So even one had the chance to listen to it at the show, most likely it will be changed.

Both mics are set to release late summer, so let's say IBC show to be safe.

On 4/13/2019 at 1:31 PM, Vincent R. said:

Loads of manufactures make the products in China, no surprise there. Deity is no different.

Maybe so in the prosumer markets, but I'm pretty sure that all of the pro brands we use do not produce in China, from wireless to boom poles to microphones to accessories. Which is why the products are expensive, and also, great. 

2 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Maybe so in the prosumer markets, but I'm pretty sure that all of the pro brands we use do not produce in China, from wireless to boom poles to microphones to accessories. Which is why the products are expensive, and also, great. 

You take my quote out of context. Or maybe you didn't understand me correctly, because I didn't mean our field of work, but manufacturing in general.

To emphasize my point; yes, most, if not all, of the products we use on a daily base are NOT made in "China" (or other Asian countries), YET other industries are doing it for decades now, with great results (Apple, Sony, Philips, Behringer/Midas/Klark Technik to name a few). Again, with the "vision" of the "mother" company. Not to say there is no vision in China or surrounding countries, but at least it takes the apparent scepticism away (there still seems to be that dark cloud hanging over China, that they just copy over there...).

4 hours ago, Vincent R. said:

Again, with the "vision" of the "mother" company. Not to say there is no vision in China or surrounding countries, but at least it takes the apparent scepticism away (there still seems to be that dark cloud hanging over China, that they just copy over there...).

Well, not just the "vision" of the parent company, but also if the parent company takes a hard line attitude to quality control with an active hands on approach of managing then that can make a massive difference to the end result.

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Well, not just the "vision" of the parent company, but also if the parent company takes a hard line attitude to quality control with an active hands on approach of managing then that can make a massive difference to the end result

Indeed an important aspect.

Try MIPRO MU55L....They perform great...very natural sound...much better than Countryman B3.....and cheap. Someone complain about fragile cable, but couldn't find that issue to me at least. One problem is proper wiring is needed to avoid EMF noise, except that...the lav itself is great...!!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071119-REG/mipro_mu55l_omni_directional_sub_miniature_4_5mm_lavalier.html

On 4/16/2019 at 2:29 PM, filmsalang said:

Try MIPRO MU55L....They perform great...very natural sound...much better than Countryman B3.....and cheap. Someone complain about fragile cable, but couldn't find that issue to me at least. One problem is proper wiring is needed to avoid EMF noise, except that...the lav itself is great...!!

sounds like a nice option.

what is the proper wiring btw, say for a Sennheiser 3.5mm jack?

3 hours ago, chrismedr said:

sounds like a nice option.

what is the proper wiring btw, say for a Sennheiser 3.5mm jack?

I didn't wire for Sen but for Sony Uwps.

shield to Tip, either Red or White to Ring( or Red + White to Ring) and no connection to  Sleeve.

but this wiring introduce some RF interference  when I get the mic head closer to a refrigerator. that's what I can't solve the issue for now.

trs.jpg

On 4/15/2019 at 8:37 PM, Christian Spaeth said:

Just was thinking about your post when I saw this popping around in the Audio ltd users group 😁
(in case it is unreadable, A10 TX, made in Taiwan).

57353032_1218256941683695_7594742552998182912_o.jpg

26 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'm sure both the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China have opinions on if that is made in "China" or not!

Haha yeah I thought about mentioning that, but choose not to make it too political