New Deity W Lav

dgirtsman

Well, I wanted to chime in regarding the Deity lav mics. 

Besides being a Re-recording mixer, I've gotten into actual filmmaking myself now. I'm in the process of directing a feature next year. To educate myself , I've been shooting short films. For this , I wanted a budget sound mixer package. I ended up with a Zoom F4, Deity D3, and 2 Deity V-Lav mics, and a MOVO Mic 80. I tried on Oscar tech, and was quite unimpressed. The V-Lav sounds better IMO. 

I'll probably replace the MOVO, it's ok. Not great, but certainly usable for low/no budget work. 

Here's the first short we shot last weekend using setup. 

https://youtu.be/PlpHJJb2XJ4

4 hours ago, old school said:

Sounds good. Looks and sounds boom able. What was your final mix comprised of? Nice short, though it could of been shorter by a touch IMO. I’d be cool to see and hear other shorts from your team.

CrewC

It ended up being all Lav, because I suck as a boom op. I had the boom too far away. 😁

I am doing these shorts to hone my skills in sound mixing, directing, cinematography and picture editing, in preparation for a feature I'm going to be making next year. 

This is the first short I directed last year. 

Nice. I wish more directors would practice all the elements of film making before they direct. In theory you only get better every time out. They both sound pro which I’m sure your re recording skills helped make possible. I see Sharman mixed Daycare.  Did he use any Deity mics? He did a good job as usual. Also I’m sure you two shared your interest and experiences making short films. He and Steven Morrow did one called “Living with Lou” that I’m a big fan of. Do I recall you have a Joe Strummer or Clash project? Probably someone else but for some reason I think it was you. Doesn’t matter. I wish you the best on your next one.

CrewC

7 hours ago, old school said:

Nice. I wish more directors would practice all the elements of film making before they direct. In theory you only get better every time out. They both sound pro which I’m sure your re recording skills helped make possible. I see Sharman mixed Daycare.  Did he use any Deity mics? He did a good job as usual. Also I’m sure you two shared your interest and experiences making short films. He and Steven Morrow did one called “Living with Lou” that I’m a big fan of. Do I recall you have a Joe Strummer or Clash project? Probably someone else but for some reason I think it was you. Doesn’t matter. I wish you the best on your next one.

CrewC

Yes, Robert mixed The Daycare. He used all his gear. And yes, my wife and I wrote a musical based on music by the Clash called "London Calling '. We have an option deal on the table right now. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/12/2019 at 10:32 AM, Kisaha said:

http://oscarsoundtech.com

These are good and cheap.

These lavaliers are super cheap, the 239€ ones are - supposedly - competing with the 6060 ones, and the 189$ ones (whatever he said) are "competing" with the 4060 ones.

I do not know how they sound, and I am definitely going to have some 6060 soon, but for the money of 2 6060 one can buy 5 of those and have a full set for cheap.

Aputure Deity is very aggressive with everything at the moment.

How does one order from Oscar sound tech?

No prices or purchase buttons.

Thanks

On 12/1/2019 at 8:55 AM, Rick Reineke said:

OST's customer service is top shelf. Dave usually responds very fast to all matters... within an hour or so during the week. Instructions for ordering are in the price list. FWIW, OST is a USA company based in NJ.

I'll second this. We purchased three OST mics this year and in each instance, Dave was great to deal with, will answer questions and is very responsive. He will get your mics wired up and shipped quickly. As far as I'm concerned, best low cost lavaliere on the market, great value and plays with some of the much more expensive lavs pretty well.