Did someone say Mini-Scorpio?

dsound

I imagine a "Scorpio Mini" must happen, as I kinda see the Scorpio as a "688 mk2" (well, it is also a "788T mk2" as well for some people). 

Thus it is only logical that something which is a "633 mk2" comes along, that brings some of the advancements of the newer Scorpio generation but in a smaller and more scaled back packed. As the 633 must be Sound Devices' best selling recorder ever (well, until the MixPre series came along!).

Thus it is only logical that at some point in time they'll update the 633 and release a "Scorpio Micro", the only question is when.....  later this year (unlikely), or in five years from now (unlikely), or somewhere in between those dates? (likely)

Am also curious when the Zaxcom Mava will be announced? ("Mava" = MAxx + deVA)

What makes four the "magic number"? For many people having one or two full size XLR inputs for a hardwired boom or two is sufficient, and the rest are wireless. Thus to have three is a comfortable number with a bit of an extra buffer spare. (especially if the extra channels still keep limiters as an option with them, rather than being removed for channels 4/5/6 like on the 633)

For ambisonics though having 4 is the "magic number", but I'd be fine with having a "633 mk2" as my main machine and pulling out a Zoom F8n on the rare occasion I'm recording ambisonics. 

I agree with the need for 4 Mic inputs, even for TV or documentary jobs. 
I often add a double preamp to the 633 when shooting for a cultural TV show. 
Recording a small band live, or a theatre play for a short extract on TV doesn't justify a full kit, especially with the time constrains we face. 
But an MS boom and two more mikes makes the perfect kit for this kind of job.

Going to make a wild guess today for when the "Scorpio Micro" will happen, am thinking: late 2020 or earlier it will ship! (fingers crossed)

Sound Devices was impressive in pushing out heaps of MixPre recorders quickly. But if we ignore the M variants, as they're just "small" differences, then they had three: 3 / 6 / 10T. 

The last of them was the MixPre10T, which has a roughly year and half gap between the 10T shipping and when Scorpio will ship. 

Thus if we figure out a similar product development cycle for the next big release then this will come in late 2020, which is roughly a year and half from now. 

However hopefully the product development for a "Scorpio Micro" will be faster than making the Scorpio from scratch (which is totally different to the MixPre10T which came just before it!), so maaaaaybe we can see a Scorpio Micro at NAB 2020? 😉